BTC 6300 keyboard

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

patord

BTC 6300 keyboard

Post by patord » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:18 pm

I've been patiently trying all manners of keyboards for a long long time to find something that will match my HP's laptop keyboards (which is 4 yrs old) quietness.... with no luck so far.

Came across this:

http://www.btc.com.tw/english/news_17.htm
http://www.btc.com.tw/english/2-7-07keyboard.htm#6300

Press release states "...and silent operation (patented technology)." But we all know that's subjective.

Review: (ignore that fact his test model is the EL crap and assume they'll sell models that are "normal")

http://hi-techreviews.com/nuke/btc6300/page_1.htm

Did searches on spcr and found no discussions about it that I could find. Google returns hits with vendors carrying it in the UK so far, could not find any US vendors (and I checked fleabay for kicks). Since its "relatively" recent, if the press release date can be believed, I can only assume a wait time of a few months before they trickle to the likes of newegg.

Anyone have one of these (eg, the non US folks)? It resembles the Logitech UltraX (which I own and do not care for). I might pop off a few keys and see if the mechanism on the UltraX looks the same as in their press release. Worse case might be BTC is OEMing from Logitech or vice versa.

My keyboard requirements are, excluding subjective quietness: fairly normal layout (eg, no L enter keys) and MUST have PS/2 capability due to numerous KVM's I use. So this BTC, based on the specs, meets my minimum.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:38 pm

Why, whats wrong with your UltraX? Don't tell me it's bad, I just had a friend order it for me as an xmas present -.-;;

It looks pretty spiffy, but no I haven't used it.

patord

Post by patord » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:00 am

I just got the UltraX a while back. Maybe Logitech switched manufacturers or something since the other threads recommended it (back in 2003), but subjectively the thing is far from quiet.

My loudest keyboard in my collection is Microsoft's original Natural keyboard. Circa 1997/8 I think is when I bought my first one. Again, subjectively, it just sounds like a crisper version of that keyboard.

The only keyboards I can tolerate when I'm forced into a quiet environment (eg, meetings) thus far is my laptop keyboard (my personal HP or even our company Dell Inspirions) or the Gyration wireless keyboards. And I've tried about every keyboard in the various threads, and then some. About the only one I have not tried are that weird contour one and the Touchstream since they are priced way out to be expensed at my company.

But keyboard's are such a personal thing... maybe you'll like the UltraX.

Hey off subject, are you near that Apple manu plant in Elk Grove? I'm gonna be out around that area there a few tiimes this year (but not for Apple's sake) on business.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:07 am

Funny you should mention that. Yes, I do live VERY close to the Apple manufacturing plant in Elk Grove. I can show you my rig ;P

DAMN hope those UltraXs are still damn quiet =[ I have the Natural Keyboard Elite, and the clatting is getting annoying.

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:38 am

I've used the UltraX for a year now. I really like it but mostly for the low profile design, not the noise. It could surely be a lot quieter I guess but I don't care about that. I'm glad it doesn't bother me.

...then I've probably had some beer/drink/don'twannaknow in it thanks to some friend, but that's another story....

patord

Post by patord » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:07 am

acaurora wrote:Funny you should mention that. Yes, I do live VERY close to the Apple manufacturing plant in Elk Grove. I can show you my rig ;P

DAMN hope those UltraXs are still damn quiet =[ I have the Natural Keyboard Elite, and the clatting is getting annoying.
I'll shoot you a PM when it gets close to me being out there. I always stay with some family friends near that plant when I'm in the area. So that I can spend my hotel per diems elsewhere like.... hmm.

Anyhows, I liked the original Naturals vs the Elites. Guess let us know what you think when you get that X.

Mats: hey! New spcr trick discovered! Beer + keyboard = silence (for me I wonder if thats when I pass out from too many Guiness pints)

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:26 am

patord wrote: Mats: hey! New spcr trick discovered! Beer + keyboard = silence (for me I wonder if thats when I pass out from too many Guiness pints)
Well guess what? I have found out that:

Beer * x = silence

x is an individual number. I guess that's what you're talking about!
Personally I prefer Staropramen, Duvel or maybe Gamla Slottskällans beer from my home town Uppsala. 8)

edz

Post by edz » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:43 pm

I have the 6100 which is pretty nice and only cost £8. It's fairly quiet but I guess it could be quieter. It's quieter than my MS natural internet keyboard but I don't have any other laptop style keyboads that I could compare it to.

gitto

Post by gitto » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Does anyone know of a keyboard like the BTC 6300 or Logitech Ultra-x that is cordless?