Abit NF7-S2G

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Abit NF7-S2G

Post by Tigr » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:34 am

I got myself a motherboard called Abit NF7-S2G. Not that I wanted one but the on-line shop ran out of NF7-S and sent me this one instead. I decided to keep it and see how it fairs. Boy, what a stupid board! It's like it is not made by Abit but by ... well, I don't know even who makes boards like that. Anyway, here goes the summary of why you don't want one.

First, there is NF7-S. That's a good board. There is NF7-S rev.2 - that's a good one too. This board is called NF7-S2G and its brother NF7-S2 is the same without the gigabit ethernet. Don't mix them up.

Now, NF7-S2(G) does not have any multiplier setting menu. At all. You are stuck at the default multiplier for life. For example, the Mobile Athlon XP-M 2600 is detected with the multiplier of 6. And there is no way to change that.

NF7-S2(G) has very short menus for changing the voltage of the CPU, RAM, some other useful stuff. Make note that this board does not allow to change anything down, only up. That is, you can overclock and overvolt with it but not undervolt and underclock. The only thing you can set lower than the default value is the FSB. That's it.

Otherwise a very solid board with a very nice performance, it is therefore completely unsuitable if you want to try any of those things that we do here for silencing. Beware and stay away.

Chris.Day

Post by Chris.Day » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:29 am

There is another reason to avoid this junk:
http://www.quantexzone.com/reviews/nf7s2g.htm
OK, yes that is more of a rant than a review, but that is all it and Abit deserve.

The lack of L2 cache problem can be read here:
http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.ph ... adid=73205

Definately stay away!

Post by 1398342003 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:43 pm

One other thing about the NF7-S2 series is that it has a poorer quality onboard sound chip (AC670 I think, I'm not sure) than the NF7-S. (Nvidia Soundstorm)