Fanless & overclocking

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MagnusT

Fanless & overclocking

Post by MagnusT » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:24 am

I'm having fun building a fanless pc for my living room using mCubeds hfX chassi. I'm the importer of their products here in Sweden but I'm first and foremost a silent computer hard core fan since many many years :D

Anyway, I had my hfX assembled and running but then I thought I'd push the envelope further. So I swapped out the ATI 800XL and instead I bought a Geforce 7800GTX, ripped of it's fan and original cooling, put it in the hfX and overclocked it :mrgreen:

Yesterday I had a lot of fun testing my "HTPC on steroids". I currently "only" have an AMD 64 3500+ in it but the chassi has no problems keeping it totally reasonably cool so I'll be throwing in a dual core AMD as soon the X2 3800+ hits the shelves here in Sweden. I'll see how that overclocks in the hfX too of course :wink:

I'm still fiddling with the way to mount the harddisk in this muscle PC to get the harddisk temperature down a bit further. I have a couple of options to try out and I can keep you posted as I progress :D

Anyway, yesterday I spent a couple of hours torturing the computer using Prime95 (SP2004), a video card stress test program and 3Dmark2005. Since I'm not content with the harddisk mounting just yet I let that rest outside the box.

Some pictures:

The overclocked 7800GTX next to a digital TV receiver card and it's subscription card module:
http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/hfx/7800GTX.jpg

A screenshot of the afternoons torture :mrgreen: Hot but in no way too hot. And totally stable :D
http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/hfx/scrnshot1.jpg

And this is my "test setup" ( = my living room :mrgreen: )

Bigger picture: http://tystpc.nu/pics/forum/hfx/tv_o_hfx_l.jpg

Cheers all!

vapb400

Post by vapb400 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:38 pm

wow! That case is very very nice, good job!

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:58 pm

Can we get more pictures? Where did you obtain your parts from? i'm interested in doing something very similar.

Thanks

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:10 pm

WOW!
i didnt even know that was possible

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:37 am

63°C load temp for the motherboard seems like it wouldn't be a very good idea for any extended period of time. No active airflow seems to be leading to very hot components on the board.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:10 pm

FWIW, I've run my nForce3 chipset around or above this temperature for the last half a year or so and haven't had any problems. I've heard nF3/nF4 are rated for some rediculously high temperature, like 80*C or 90*C.

jjm052

Post by jjm052 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:51 am

Thats easily the best system I've seen on here. Looks like your pretty handy with this silencing lark.

dfy

Post by dfy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:04 am

Cool!

I've got the exact same case since last week for my new HTPC. Still tweaking everything, and just ordered the GPU and NB heatpipe systems because I am not happy with my temps (I need it to be 100% stable and confident it doesn't die on me watching a movie ;) ). But when I see yours I get a bit more confident :) (My temps are a fair bit lower, I use Q'n Quiet (well RMclock) on a A64 3000+ Venice)

The biggest problem is my WD3200JB 320Gb SATA HD. IDLE it's ~50*C and when stressed it is going in the high 50's.

So I am really interested what you do with your HD. I tried it in a Mcubed Vertical Silence: a big NO NO! Even higher temps!

Going to try a Sharkoon Vibe-Fixer when I get it.

I was also thinking about somehow modding a Borg HES Heatpipe Extension Set for use with a HD, but I don't know how yet...there is no room in the case

Wish there was a HFX HD heatpipe system, but that is still in prototype. Don't know when it will hit the streets...

hirafu_boarder

Post by hirafu_boarder » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:17 pm

Nice rig!

Moving your case a little to the right may help with temperatures.
That Krell amp on the bottom shelf will be putting out a lot of heat!
Shifting the HTPC to be over the Wadia CD player may reduce the ambient temp.

Cheers.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Is that a plasma display or an LCD display? If it's a plasma, then I would highly recommend getting rid of the taskbar (standard auto-hide is not sufficient, since it still leaves a visible bar at the bottom).

Plasma displays suffer from "burn-in" more quickly and to a greater extent than any other sort of display. You don't want to have any fixed imagery on it for an extended period of time.

Al

Post by Al » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:21 am

I'm very impressed with the system - is it really totally fanless? I know mCubed supply an optional "safety fan" with controller... Also are you using the new northbridge heatpipe set?

Have been looking into this kit over the last few days - looks fairly pricey but I reckon it's pretty future proof, even if you do end up with a fan or two it wouldn't be very loud at all. Plus the massive heatsinks look pretty cool.

One last thing - is that an iMon VFD in the case? If so, any good?

Cheers,

Al

bownyboy

Post by bownyboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:20 am

Well, after reading extensively on the net, nearly getting an Accent HT400, I finally went for this case. My order is for the Aug 30th batch.

Will be partnering it with a fanless 6600GT, fanless ABIt AN8 motherboard and Samsung Spinpot drives.

Not sure about VFDs myself. It will be connected to a projector above the sofa so the box will sit next to sofa, which means I'll rarely look at a VFD...?

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:53 am

Haven't been in here for a little while and wow, lots of responses to my little post! Thanks for all the kind words! :D

Yesterday I picked up a dual core AMD 3800+ and it's in the box running fine. Haven't had time to overclock it yet though. I'll get back to you when I've seen what is possible.

I've solved the hardisk temp so I'm totally happy with that now. It's not going to be really cool but not too hot at least IMHO 8)

cotdt wrote:Can we get more pictures? Where did you obtain your parts from? i'm interested in doing something very similar.
I've documented everything with photos when building it so I'll do a real long article with tips and things to consider when building it.

Krazy Kommando wrote:WOW!
i didnt even know that was possible
Neither did I :shock: :wink: I mean, building it 100% fanless with a AMD 3500+ and an ATI X800XL wouldn't be a problem whatsoever. But an overclocked 7800GTX and dual core AMD.... :shock:

Ralf Hutter wrote:63°C load temp for the motherboard seems like it wouldn't be a very good idea for any extended period of time. No active airflow seems to be leading to very hot components on the board.
That's after hours of full load torture. With cool-n-quiet on it's much lower in it's normal state. I' don't have time to play heavy 3D games 24/7 anyway :wink: :lol:

dfy wrote:The biggest problem is my WD3200JB 320Gb SATA HD. IDLE it's ~50*C and when stressed it is going in the high 50's.
I agree. The HD temp is the most tricky to get down. I just received a Vertical Silence with heatpipe kit prototype and I'm testing it. But earlier I did solve it like this:

- Got that Zalman blue harddsk mounting thingy with a whole bunch of heatpipes running across over the HD

- Mount the disk in the Zalman under the DVD

- Drilled a number of air intake holes in the chassi bottom panel under the same spot.

- Make sure the cabling to the MB/DVD/HD is not obstructing the convection induced airflow.

- Since my disk was SATA the long cable connectors would interfere with the floppy connector on my mainboard so I mounted the HD with it's connectors towards the front of the chassi instead.

This obviously demands that you have a decently quiet HD since it's oly rubbery mounted, not enclosed in a sound dampening box like the Vertical Silence. But the Vertical Silence heatpipe kit will solve those situations of course soon anyway.

hirafu_boarder wrote:Moving your case a little to the right may help with temperatures.
That Krell amp on the bottom shelf will be putting out a lot of heat!
Shifting the HTPC to be over the Wadia CD player may reduce the ambient temp.
It's a KSA-100S so it's got that class A bias plateau thingy keeping t's heat production down. And there's a thick wooden shelf in between the two. So in my setup it's actually no problem. But you are absolutely correct about the issue of where you put the chassi! It's vital that air flow around it is unrestricted and not pre heated.

IsaacKuo wrote:Is that a plasma display or an LCD display?
Plasma displays suffer from "burn-in" more quickly and to a greater extent than any other sort of display. You don't want to have any fixed imagery on it for an extended period of time.
It's an LCD. I leave it on a lot with the tv-schedule showing so it had to be a LCD due to the burn in risk.

Al wrote:I'm very impressed with the system - is it really totally fanless? I know mCubed supply an optional "safety fan" with controller... Also are you using the new northbridge heatpipe set?

Have been looking into this kit over the last few days - looks fairly pricey but I reckon it's pretty future proof, even if you do end up with a fan or two it wouldn't be very loud at all. Plus the massive heatsinks look pretty cool.

One last thing - is that an iMon VFD in the case? If so, any good?

Cheers,

Al
1. Yes totally fanless. The only moving part is the disk.

2. I didn't mount the safety fan kit. But our cat has found this warmed up place to be a comfy one so we often find her sleeping on top of the box covering up it's top air vents. So I might mount a safety fan kit mainly to wake her up and scare her away. Woooooshhhh :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Yes I'm using a northbridge heatpipe since the Nforce4 chip is a quite hot chip.

4. Yes it's the OEM kit from iMon that fits straight in. I'm impresed with the remote, works well both in windows and within mediaprograms watching tv, dvd or whatever. But it's not as wife friendly as the euro MCE remote I just got. The MCE works perfectly within media programs and is more clearly marked and simpler to use straight of the bat. But IMHO the MCE remote works far worse in windows since there is no mouse support with it like the iMon has. I have both connected and running simultaneously so you can pick up either one at any time :lol:

----

I'll keep you posted with the new AMD dual core setup :D

Cheers!

/Magnus Thomé

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:45 pm

Dual core 3800+

=

no problem :lol:

Marginally overclocked currently. I'll add a HES kit and see where it takes me :P

bownyboy

Post by bownyboy » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:58 am

Hi MagnusT,

I've just received my hFX case and am having a couple of problems which I hope you can help me with?!

I keep getting the following POST error / message after the memory and IDE check:

"Warning! Now system is in safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in teh CMOS setup. System is runnign in fail-safe state. Please recheck BIOS CMOS setup"

mobo is ABit AN8 Ultra
A64 3000 Venice
Borg Heatsink

Another poster said it may be because of the mobo not detecting a CPU fan and thus shuts down?

Are there any checks I should be making? Should I have done anything when building my PC that I might not have?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Finally to anyone who is thinking of getting this case, dont use a 6600GT passive cooled graphcis card, the heatpipe curls over the top of the card, meaning you cant close the case!!!

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:57 pm

Hi!

Sounds like a "normal" bios setting issue. Things that might render that message are a too high OC, when hardware like the cpu has changed or after a bios update. Did you go in to the bios and make sure all settings where ok and then save it all? Sometimes loading the bios setup defaults must be done. If it was an issue with the cpu fan missing you'd surely get a different type of message.

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:09 pm

Currently running the dual core 3800+ at 2,4GHz with 100% stability. Default clock is 2,0GHz! If I run two Prime95 (SP2004), one on each cpu, it gets a bit hot but is still stable. But that's a bit of an extreme test too :shock:

Cool thing this dual core stuff! I can run a Prime95 stress test on one core and still watch TV using the DVB-t digital tv reciever with no disturbances, jumps or jerks :D

Al

Post by Al » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:23 am

Don't suppose it's possible to use a second heatpipe set to cool 2 7800GTXs in SLi? If so any chance you could give it a go? I'm really interested to see just how far this case will go! Just moved to Germany (from England) so it's a bit cheaper to get hold of now.

Al

EDIT - also are you using the nightjar passive power supply? I'm surprised it can cope with a dual-core system with a 7800GTX! At least without running ridiculously hot.

MagnusT

Post by MagnusT » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:35 pm

Al wrote:Don't suppose it's possible to use a second heatpipe set to cool 2 7800GTXs in SLi? If so any chance you could give it a go? I'm really interested to see just how far this case will go! Just moved to Germany (from England) so it's a bit cheaper to get hold of now.

Al

EDIT - also are you using the nightjar passive power supply? I'm surprised it can cope with a dual-core system with a 7800GTX! At least without running ridiculously hot.
I really can't afford getting another GTX to test with :roll: ... I'm not really sure it would be that healthy to put two in either. I think it might be possible with a bit of tweaking and fiddling (extra air holes in the bottom panel and so on) but if so a close call. The problem would not be core temperatures, the heatpipes would transfer that heat out to the heatsinks properly I think from looking at my other tests. The core on the 7800GTX works very well even if quite hot too. But it's the ambient temp in the chassi that probably would get too hot which would result in other problems. For example power supply components on the mainboard and graphics cards that get very hot by themselves would have problems with heat dissipation.

I'm using the Silverstone Nightjar and it has no problem running the current setup. But it has to be 100% properly mounted to the heatsink. First time around I didn't have that much thermal paste and then it lit up the red led for overheating after a couple of hours. But then I remounted it with lots of thermal paste filling all the irregularities on the psu side panel and I haven't had any problems since. But of course, it will not be able to run two 7800GTX... And I currently don't know of any totally fanless PSU that would do the job in the hfX. Some fanless PSU's totally rely on airflow generated by chassi fans so they will not work. There is airflow in the hfX but it's only from natural convection and is hence very low.

Anyway, my hfX has been on 24/7 for quite a while now. No problems and I'm very happy. Looking around for some really good hi fi sound cards and searching for the ultimate TV viewing program setup... Trying a lot of things out :shock: :D :D