Multimeter

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Red Dawn

Multimeter

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Dec 24, 2002 3:07 pm

Hello everyone, and merry (belated?) christmas!

I got this for christmas, and this being my first ever multimeter, I'm just wondering... how "good" is it? Is it overkill, ie. has enough features to keep me puzzled about what they are, and what they do forever, or is it a mediocre multimeter that will soon be outgrown?

Again, have a real nice christmas all of you! :)

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:28 am

Merry Christmas to you to Red Dawn :)

That is a fine little multimeter you have. It is a fairly basic unit, the real feature being the 'pen' style body. But you don't have to worry about outgrowing a basic multimeter. Lots of people get 2"-itis about their tech gear, but I assure you that by the time you get into electronics enough to actually need a really fancy multimeter, you can get by very well with a simple one. I do so professionally, and prefer it because I don't have to fret over a $400 meter getting lost, stolen, or broken. And when the time comes you will know very preciceley what you need that a simple one doesn't do for you. Until such time, the two most basic questions are A. how much voltage, and B. how much resistance. Those two things are almost all you need until you hit specific applications like AC/DC power systems, hi-tech auto, etc.. I have also watched in bemusement while other pro's haul out very fancy expensive meters, but still can't understand what is wrong because the meter is only your eyes into electronics, not your brain. Learning how to work around cheap multimeters, and why, makes you understand what goes on, instead of just pretending. So happy tinkering!

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:55 pm

Thanks for the great answer, and for your own personal view on it. I too understand that since I do not know what's good, and what's not, it's probably better to get to the point with a fairly basic multimeter where I actually do know. :)

I'll hopefully put it to good use in the future. My new computer has been delayed (parts are sould out, and not expected to arrive in stock for some time, and by that I mean after new year's eve), but I'd still say it's not too far away now. The real problem will be to figure out how to outline a good watercooling setup. Going to a zoo shop/pet shop on friday probably, do a bit of reconnoissance... see if I can find some answers to my questions, and maybe good advice about a tank/aquarium, and related.

Looks like I'll be busy with this for at least a week, or two, to come. Until it's time to start screwing things together. :)
Sorry if I started to ramble about something unrelated, it's just that this is all I can think of right now. I generally tend to become 'too involved' when doing something new, or something that I really want to succeed in doing, and want a good result from as well. So, my mind's filled up with crazy ideas, even thought at one time to custom build a copper tank with extruded fins and glass opening at the top, sealed with an o-ring and the glass bolted to the copper tank (after the o-ring)... one can dream though. ;-)