MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 & MS Comfort Curve 2000

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GHz

MS Natural Ergonomic 4000 & MS Comfort Curve 2000

Post by GHz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:30 pm

I noticed the thread about the MS Natural Keyboard got locked... nice job guys. Anyway, I recently decided I needed a quieter keyboard, so I checked out the quiet keyboard thread. Noticed that both the MS Natural & Comfort Curve were mentioned as good quiet keyboard. So tonight I went out and bought both of them and am testing them side-by-side until my return policy runs out (then I'll pick the best, most comfortable one).

Currently, I'm using the Natural 4000 on my PC, and my girlfriend is using the Comfort Curve. We're swapping back and forth to get a good feel for both of them. Our initial impression: they are both FANTASTIC keyboards! They are equally *very* quiet, except that the Comfort Curve's spacebar is slightly louder than the Natural 4000. This may be a sample defect, but nonetheless I thought it should be mentioned.

The Natural keyboard has the advantage that it's more ergonomic (my last keyboard was the 1st-gen MS Ergonomic keyboard) because of the split keys, and the Comfort Curve has the advantage of cheaper price, smaller footprint, and it's spill-proof :) The keys on both keyboards have great tactile response---not at all squishy--but they are well muted... the quietest of all keyboards I tried out at multiple large retail outlets. Either one of these keyboards is a good buy.

I hope this information helps anyone looking for a quiet and/or ergonomic keyboard. I'll keep this post updated with any new impressions, otherwise I'd be happy to answer any questions about them.

winguy

Post by winguy » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:29 am

Regarding the Comfort Curve 2000 , there's a comment at Newegg which says letters on the keys seem to be glued on and not laser-etched -> it's just a matter of time when they will fade. Is it true?

GHz

Post by GHz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:13 am

The letters and symbols are definitely not laser-etched... as far as I can tell. This is true for both the MS Natural and Comfort Curve keyboards. However, I vigorously tried to rub and scratch off one of the letters to see how durable they are... they did not sustain any damage or wear. I believe that it is highly unlikely that they will wear out any time soon... they seem very durable.

I read some of the other negative comments about the Comfort Curve on Newegg, and I'd like to address them. First of all, the keys don't feel "mushy." Both the Comfort Curve and the Natural keyboard have a very solid feel. Maybe the person commenting preferred clunky old-style keyboards and did not appreciate the muted clicking of the keys. The effort of typing on both keyboards is pretty low... probably on par with my IBM T40's keyboard. The keys have very little play... e.g. they don't wobble like many other keyboards I've tried. This--I'm sure--is one of the reasons they are so quiet. And unlike some of the laptop-like keyboards, these MS keyboards seem very tough. I always appreciate a keyboard that can take some abuse. One of the things I like to do when buying a new keyboard is to test their durability by twisting, dropping, and banging on the keyboard. I know that seems extreme, but it's always been one of my requirements before I buy one. They both passed ;)

HTH! Let me know if you have any more questions.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:07 am

I had a Microsoft Natural Multimedia keyboard and the cord cracked where it entered the keyboard housing. Be sure to check if the cord is durable. I used to love those heavy-duty coiled cords on the old keyboards, you could probably slam them in the door and they would be fine.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:06 pm

I had the opportunity to try the 4000 and the 2000 in the store. Suffice to say I purchased the 2000 because I felt it was quieter and I don't like "natural" keyboards.

The store 4000 sample also had a loud spacebar, so caveat emptor.

GHz

Post by GHz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:52 pm

Daba: The spacebar was probably louder because of people like me that like to "test" their durability :P By all means, I think that if you don't like the split ergonomic keyboards, the Comfort Curve is just as good as the Natural keyboard. The spacebar being *slightly* louder on my Comfort Curve may be a sample variance... but it's still very quiet.

I can't really comment on the cord durability... that's one thing I don't bother testing, because my keyboard doesn't move very often. It does feel quite secure though... certainly no less so than other keyboards out there.

Live

Post by Live » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:15 pm

I have a few questions about the 2000. I use my keyboard mostly for gaming and as such I have a few specifics I am looking for besides it being quiet.

If I understand correctly the keys on the 2000 are pretty low? Meaning that you don’t have to press down on them very far. That would be a good thing reaction wise. Any other comments on the reaction time of the keyboard?

How is the spacing of the keys? I would like them to be quite close. Hard question to answer maybe but maybe you could give an estimate.

And now most importantly; how does it do with simultaneous key strokes. How many keys can you press down at once? Any different pressing many keys on the same row or different rows. What about combining; holding down keys and then use the num pad or other parts of the keyboard?

It was reported in the big thread that holding down a key for 10 seconds would make a pause? Any comments?

I truly appreciate you sharing your experiences.

GHz

Post by GHz » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:18 pm

Live:

I just played a game of NFS: Most Wanted, which happens to require fast keys and multiple keys pressed at the same time... it was great. I tried holding keys down for longer than 10 seconds and I didn't experience any problems. Maybe someone experienced the Windows "sticky keys" feature? The spacing is also good... it's a little smaller than a normal keyboard, and the slight curvature is nice (I still prefer the 4000 though).

I hope that answers some of your questions. The keyboard is indeed great for gaming... actually better than the original MS Ergonomic keyboard which I'm currently using (soon to be replaced permanently by the 4000).

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:08 am

about the Comfort Curve 2000, does it have the annoying "F" function key whereby you have to activate something before the F1-F12 keys work normally?

GHz

Post by GHz » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 am

The Comfort Curve doesn't have the F-lock that you're referring to.

csl

Post by csl » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:53 am

Just got a comfort curve. First impressions: very plasticky build, poor structural stiffness (i.e. flexes a little when you press on it) and it isn't actually flat - doesn't rest perfectly on the desk.

On the plus side the main keys are a joy to type on - nice muted key presses, apart from the space bar which depresses with a hideous clunk - why is the space bar so noisy compared to the other keys? The left shift key is also miniscule thanks to the curve of the kayboard - most laptops have better shift keys!

I guess you get what you pay for, as the CC 2000 is fairly cheap compared to the Natural.

winguy

Post by winguy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:40 am

I just tried the Comfort Curve 2000 and the sample also had a louder, clicky spacebar (another sample defect? :roll:). The middle wider keys (B, N, etc) also felt awkward, I guess that needs some getting used to. Overall, the keys really are muted, the quietest I've ever tried.

csl

Post by csl » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:22 am

winguy wrote:The middle wider keys (B, N, etc) also felt awkward, I guess that needs some getting used to.
Yes! Strange stretched keys. :) I do like the key action though too.

kkzz

Post by kkzz » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:13 am

http://www.metku.net/?sect=view&n=0&pat ... /index_eng 18 programmable macro keys, a little LCD screen and best of all the keyboard lights up. I'm replacing my MS keyboard when the world comes back into focus after Christmas

fred9

left shift key on comfort curve doesn't work.

Post by fred9 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:03 pm

i don't want to return it if there's any easy fix for a non responsive shift key. any ideas?

thank you

winguy

Post by winguy » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:54 pm

Is there another (cheap) Microsoft keyboard with the same keys as these but without the ergonomics?

HomerSapien

Post by HomerSapien » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:34 am

I like the MS 4000 keyboard, but i was wondering if you can remap the zoom feature to make it scroll instead. The zoom seems pretty pointless to me, but a scroll would be great.

Also, i understand that you need to install software to get the media keys to work. How customizable are those? Will be using this with windows xp. Thanks.

Finally, do the media keys work if using a ps/2 adapter? Or are they functional with usb only

csl

Post by csl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm

This is the menu you get on the comfort curve software (intellitype). I guessin git's the same on the 4000:

On the CC 2000, you can assign most of the buttons to start a particular program, but things like the volume seem set to control windows volume. I can use the music buttons to control foobar though, which is pretty good, but to be honest I seldom use the multimedia butons.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:00 pm

I myself have had the 4000 for quite a while. The spacebar on my first one would rub against the rest of the keyboard and create a squeak, so i got mine replaced. This is my second one, and it works perfectly fine. i do like it in its ergonomics, however I do notice that I type slower with this. Don't get me wrong, I love this keyboard, and use pretty much most of the hotkeys. I'm just saying that with my other keyboard (UltraX), I can type considerably faster.

The media buttons work for me for WinAmp as well as MCE.
Last edited by acaurora on Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

csl

Post by csl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:05 pm

I put an old mousemat under my CC, otherwise it clatters and creaks rather loudly. Needs suspension... :lol:

HomerSapien

Post by HomerSapien » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:27 pm

csl: thx for the picture, it helps give me an idea of how it changes. Now, I just wonder about changing the zoom buttons.

Oh yeah, in order to change the volume or go to the next track, does the music player have to be the top most window or does it switch to it. I had one (i think it was the first MS media keyboard) several years ago and it always switched the windows pretty much making the media keys pointless and especially annoying when playing games.

-Thx

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:54 pm

for my 4000, it doesn't have to be the active window.

csl

Post by csl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:14 pm

HomerSapien wrote:csl: thx for the picture, it helps give me an idea of how it changes. Now, I just wonder about changing the zoom buttons.

Oh yeah, in order to change the volume or go to the next track, does the music player have to be the top most window or does it switch to it. I had one (i think it was the first MS media keyboard) several years ago and it always switched the windows pretty much making the media keys pointless and especially annoying when playing games.

-Thx
With my CC, pressing the play/pause button will bring the window to the front - I have to press it again for the function to take effect once the window is active.

In other news, I'm still having a hard time typing accurately on this thing. :oops: