lloyd case's extremetech article on a silent pc

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rei

lloyd case's extremetech article on a silent pc

Post by rei » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:37 pm

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2 ... 8%2C00.asp

...$2500?

...well at least it's more competent than the garbage in maximumpc/cpu magazines.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: lloyd case's extremetech article on a silent pc

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:04 pm

rei wrote:...$2500?
Half of it comes from CPU and videocard alone.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:36 pm

I'd rather build a silent PC in the $600-800 range.

I bet such a PC would get about 80% of the performance, but for 25% of the cost. Bleeding edge hardware never seems to be worth the cost premium, unless you absolutely need bleeding edge.

stupid

Post by stupid » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:22 pm

That is such a bad article. The only components I would select from the setup is the Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS. I would take the 7900GTX, but that's an overkill for my gaming needs.

Loyd Case is halfway right in selecting the Seasonic S12 series, but 600w is way overkill for the proposed system.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:33 pm

I didn't think it was that bad. The 600W is overkill but he did give his reason - the ability to run SLI in the future. I think he succeeded in his objectives, to build a quiet killer gaming system without extensive modding using readily available parts. I doubt if we can improve much on the system without radical changes. Replacing the CPU HSF will not yield very much noise reduction. Other mods - replacing the HSF on the GPU, water cooling, cutting cases, suspending HDDs are probably not considered mainstream enough. That's why we come here, and not ExtremeTech, for our silencing needs.

KnightRT

Post by KnightRT » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:05 pm

As a silent computing guide, the article is blah. But as an indication of where we stand in quiet computing, it's excellent.

Fact is, it just ain't that hard to build a quiet PC these days. If he'd pulled the same results with components three years ago, I'd be standing on my chair clapping. Raise your hand if you remember the 5800 Ultra. Silencing THAT would be a trip, but now that every chip worth anything underclocks itself and reduces power dynamically, it's just a matter of cherry-picking modern components.

DI

patord

Post by patord » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:36 pm

Sites that TRY to write about silencing PCs should just put a blantant mention to SPCR and just concentrate on the stuff that matters more to them. eg, "extreme" bleeding edge hardware that apparently some people have lots of dough to blow on.

It constantly amuses me to see sites like that just REPEAT alot of the mantra that is readily available here long before they write about it, and with articles with much better attention to detail. Why waste the time and rewrite the wheel?

vitaminc

Post by vitaminc » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:35 pm

There is a difference between a Silent PC and a Silent Gaming PC.

Most of the mods I find on this website are usually very low end PC or mid range PC underclock/undervolts. That works fine for a Silent PC but defeats the purpose of a Silent Gaming PC or a Silent Workstation.

shoebox9

Post by shoebox9 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:17 am

Keep reading.

There are plenty of high power PC projects here. Even near silent dual CPU + SLI, it's all possible if you are happy to water cool and mod your case for low air flow (ie get the air to the right areas).

anaqer

Post by anaqer » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:16 am

KnightRT wrote:If he'd pulled the same results with components three years ago, I'd be standing on my chair clapping. Raise your hand if you remember the 5800 Ultra. Silencing THAT would be a trip
Current graphics cards produce just as much (or more) heat as the 5800U did (which btw also underclocked itself in 2D). The thing about the Dustbuster was that the heatsink simply sucked ass, something you could easily remedy with an aftermarket HS. Similarly, those screamer Deltas weren't actually used because the Athlons of the time drew more power than, say, a Prescott but because the heatsinks were smaller and terribly ineffective compared to what we have now.

( edit : gaaah... look at me, replying to a post two months old :\ )

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:12 am

If this is a recent article, I am not very impressed with the autors choice of several old "silencing" components. The Sonata and 7700 are simply just outdated.

But it showed that his gaming rig was more quiet than the P150 and P180? Running the intel stock 775 HSF with all case fans on max, surely!