HTPC software? (off?)

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SZ
Patron of SPCR

HTPC software? (off?)

Post by SZ » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:28 am

Hi, probably this is wrong forum to ask but I think many of SPCR forums readers use their "silent" PC as Home Theater PC. I'm wondering what kind of software would you use as HTPC shell, if your HTPC were connected to a TV only and managed mostly by remote control. I were trying many software packages and didn't find anything that suits for "TV-only" usage expect for ShowShifter - http:\\www.showshifter.com. ShowShifter is quite nice and the price is not high (~$50), of course it has its own disadvantages.

Anybody knows anything like ShowShifter?

thanks!

PS XP Media Center Edition is not what I'm looking for unless it's sold separatelly.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:01 am

I remember finding something once about turning your linux PC into a Tivo like setup. I can't find it now, but I did find this:

http://www.linuxprofessionalsolutions.c ... ek/tv.html

d_kay

Post by d_kay » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:37 am

tried it out briefly. Although a nice try it still has a long way to go. The MP3 part wasn't very good or intuitive. And you can't turn the monitor off without turning the sound off too. You want to be able to control your player without the screen lighting up your bedroom. Also the readablility from 5m away seem dubious and could be better. You got 15" LCD screen at least, why not use it for the songname/time only?.

Tore

Post by Tore » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:41 pm

I'm still on the level of putting stuff on the wish list, but when I have the HTPC hardware put together, my plan is to put something together using Macromedia Director. I doubt the solution will be general though, so I guess that won't be of any help for you. :oops: