So, what'd you win?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Dru
Patron of SPCR

So, what'd you win?

Post by Dru » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:16 am

Ok, who wants to release some excitement saying what they won in the SPCR's January 2003 Promo Giveaway? Come on, we won't be jealous! :wink:

attnet

Post by attnet » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:30 pm

I won...

Nothing! Makes you real jealous doesn't it? :D

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:55 pm

:oops:

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:29 pm

I won a heatsink/fan. Which one, who knows. I guess it's supposed to be a surprise...could be a Zalman, could be a Speeze. :roll:

Pete

JarsOfFart

Post by JarsOfFart » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:24 pm

Nothing... too bad. The SLK-800 and Antec case + PSU would've been very very nice.

jhh

Post by jhh » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:35 pm

Only guessing buy they might be saving the heatsinks till they find out what kind of proccessor you have.

I won the standard noise damping kit, which I'm pretty chuffed about :D

DaveSimmons

Post by DaveSimmons » Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:55 pm

"I got a rock" -- Charlie Brown

But I have a pretty good software development job, so I don't really need the freebies.

I had already bought my Nexus from SA and haven't had time to install it yet. The Epia would've been a fun toy to play with though :)

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:12 pm

Nada. :(

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Feb 03, 2003 6:55 pm

Not a damn thing.

And I thought the extra ticks on my avatar would be good for something!!! 8)

I still think it you should have gotten your name in the hat once for each post you've made. :wink:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:52 pm

lol i agree with rusty on that one, i want free stuff too. Im poor damn it ! jk

ChiefWeasel

Post by ChiefWeasel » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:38 am

Nope, hehe tho i agree with Rusty too :D

To be honest tho, dont think i really need anything anyway :roll: Mine is silent enough so i cant hear it at night, the only thing i need is a Matrox GFx card.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:48 am

Nothing.

wussboy

Post by wussboy » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:53 am

Hmmm...I'm confused. If they gave out 30+ prizes, and only one guy in this post has won anything, who are all the winners? They were even asked to post in the forum if they won something. I like to think this is because they haven't notified winners yet. :) I'm still waiting to be notified.

Hope springs eternal.

crawford

It was me!

Post by crawford » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:27 am

Hi guys. I just got an e-mail saying that I have won the epia m 6000 board. What a way to start my day! :D

Now I have to think of a good project to get started on. I'm sure this free prize is going to cost me some money (case, cpu, psu...), but hey, I'm not complaining.

I'm now officially taking suggestions on project ideas! 8)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:34 am

well i never heard of the people that won the big prizes, not that im bitching. It would just be nice to know that the poeple that won really needed the prizes they won, cause if they dont ill be happy to give them an address where they can send their prizes to me :D

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:34 am

I don't think it is the prices that are important here, it's the community.

But in conclusion; nope, I didn't win anything. ;)

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:38 am

im just joking around :D

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:47 am

I know, I know... I'm just... pointing out the obvious, I guess? :)

It's really drawn a lot of attention (and people) here though, so in a way, we all won something. Maybe not something that we can grasp with our hand, but the silentpc community seems to have gotten bigger.

crawford

Post by crawford » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:50 am

I think it convinced a lot of the lurkers to start contributing. At least it did in my case.

Dru
Patron of SPCR

Post by Dru » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:51 am

If you look "closely" :) , you'll notice there are over 800 registered users. My "guess" is a good # of those joined this past month to get in on the prize giveaway. Maybe at least half of those 800 made >= 3 posts? So, the chances of someone winning are about 10% which isn't bad when you compare to most other prize giveaway contests. Most who have won might not be the dedicated diehard silencers (is that what we are now? Silencers? :wink: ), so most probably won't even see this thread and just entered the drawing at a chance to win (therefore, we won't see a response from those people). So, I say that's great but like how it was said, the community built on those who frequent here is more important than the prizes given away. Oh, and for the record, I didn't win anything, but the knowledge gained from browsing here is priceless.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:05 am

I "lurked" here for about... oh, a month? Something like that, maybe a little less, before I started posting. I may not be the most frequent poster here, because frankly -- I just don't have the time now, but I try to contribute here and there, when the opportunity arises.

Silencers? Hehe, good one.
Dru wrote:.../I didn't win anything, but the knowledge gained from browsing here is priceless.
Couldn't agree more with you. I'm so glad I found this place, feels like I have found something I didn't know I was missing all along.

wonsungi

Post by wonsungi » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:20 pm

I'm also a lucky recipient of a heatsink. I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it with my current system, though. I have an Abit BM6 motherboard and I'm planning on getting a Powerleap 370/T adapter so I can upgrade to a Tualatin class CPU.

I may run into two issues, though: Do the clips that have six holes for tabs really need all the plastic tabs due to the weight/pressure of the heatsink? The BM6 has four.

Also the CPU adapter significantly adds height to the socket. I'll have to either bend the prize heatsink clip or use the clip that is supplied with the CPU adapter's heatsink...

Anyways, I'm looking forward to getting rid of the little 60mm PSU fan~

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:23 pm

I'm planning on getting a Powerleap 370/T adapter so I can upgrade to a Tualatin class CPU.
Is it worth it? What's your current CPU? Seems like an incremental improvement & not cheap. My take on CPUs: I want minimum DOUBLE the performance in every way before an upgrade. (including mem bandwidth)

The last really great jump I had was from a Cel 300A to a P3-550e I could oc easily to 800. Since then, to a Tbird 1G, to an XP1700/2000 to a P4-1.8, even to a P4-2.8... incremental increases each time. If you have something like a 800MHz, I say don't do it till you can jump to 2 GHz or better. Then you'll really have fun.

Just my 2 cents...

seishino

Case+

Post by seishino » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:10 pm

Ok, I'm the guy that won the case. And I couldn't be happier about it :).

Yes, I desperately need a new case. You can see the atrocity that is my current case on the Gallery Boards. I got quite carried away with my little Dremel.

On the other hand, I have a Verax PSU in that puppy, the 300W rarity reviewed by Tom's Hardware back in October that went up to 390W before shutting down elegantly. It is currently running with a dead silent Panaflo that hasn't seen higher than 5 volts in its entire existence, despite being thermally controlled. When I get the True 380 PSU in, I'll run a comparison between the two to see which will make it in the new case.

And of course, I'll post all my little experiments with that case too. Hopefully none of them will involve embedding a hub into the faceplate. :)

crawford

Post by crawford » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:48 am

I can't think of a better candidate for a new case! :wink:
Congratulations.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:50 pm

I have an old non overclocked taulnila processor that ill sell you for cheap :D Oh and im happy that you got the case sieshino you really needed a new one no offense but that other one was fugly.

seishino

Post by seishino » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:15 pm

Oh and im happy that you got the case sieshino you really needed a new one no offense but that other one was fugly.
None taken. I wonder if I won this contest honestly or if Mike just saw my computer on the boards and took pity. :wink:

How's that for your next contest Mike? The Ghettofabulous awards. People post the most ugly / cheap / creative / effective silencing mods possible, and we vote on winners. It might flush out some new ideas, and would sure make me feel a lot better about what I did to that poor, hardworking case.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:20 pm

lol the ghetto mod award, I might actually have a chance at that :D

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:21 pm

I wonder if I won this contest honestly or if Mike just saw my computer on the boards and took pity.
Honestly, I saw that case but didn't connect it to you when the name was pulled. Just a stroke of luck.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:02 am

Honestly, I saw that case but didn't connect it to you when the name was pulled. Just a stroke of luck.
Honestly Mike, even if you did rig the draw, you made a good choice :wink: And not just because I won something too :D seishino really could have gone into a 'mods gone wrong' contest and faired quite well. So going by your being such a good guy, we'll have to believe you where thousands wouldn't.

Yippee! I won the Seasonic 400W PSU: "SS-400FS Active PFC power supply (Retail Pack)" according to them. It has even been shipped already. I needed a good PSU, and I couldn't be much happier unless I had won the EPIA, 'cept I don't have the $$$ to build it up right now anyways. So I'm really happy.

And thank you to all the regular (and irregular) posters who make this such an excellent and productive forum. There wouldn't be any prizes without you all, and the prize is just icing on the cake for me.