Off topic: anybody know how to write on a dark keyboard?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tore

Off topic: anybody know how to write on a dark keyboard?

Post by Tore » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:11 pm

I'm typing on my Fujitsu B110 Lifebook, and it's so irritating with the paper stickers on top of the keys. I guess many of you now look like a big question mark :D

This is the computer my wife use mostly, and she is from Russia. Since the keyboard is norwegian, it doesn't have cyrillic letters, so we've put paper stickers on top of the keys with the letters written on them. If the keyboard was in light grey plastic, I would just have written on them with a pen, but the keys are dark grey. Anybody know of a white pen or something that will write on plastic, and don't get destroied by the heat from the computer or the heat/moisture from fingers?

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:17 pm

You could:

1) Write the keyboard key posititons out on a piece of paper
2) Then CAREFULLY spraypaint the keyboard white. If you can remove the keyboard (you may not be able to) then do it that way. If you can't cover everything except the keyboard.
3) Get a fine point black permanent marker and the keyboard sheet you made earlier. Write the letters on.

Be careful if you do this, but it will work, as I have done it in the past.
Get good, durable paint too...that helps :wink:

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:28 pm

two words, Liquid paper :), there are permenant markers out there as well that will be in the colour that u could see on that dark grey keyboard as well

Tore

Post by Tore » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:03 am

I've tried liquid paper, and it wasn't a success. Heat from fingers combined with heat from the computer made it feel sticky (yes, it was dry before I turned on computer again) and it smeared a little bit over time. Removed that and went back to paper. There might be differences between different brands, but I think I'll try something else.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:06 am

You could memorize the keys. :D sorry had to be a smart ass

Tore

Post by Tore » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:17 am

GamingGod wrote:You could memorize the keys. :D sorry had to be a smart ass
:D
I do remember the keys though... I write touch and doesn't look at the keys. My wife do look at the keys, and she use the cyrillic letters. Don't feel like telling her she has to remember the keys because I don't like the paper stickers :wink: Especially since I have another computer without paper stickers.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:26 am

have you tried paint markers? they have them in the craft section of walmart.

quokked

Post by quokked » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:43 am

ummm, maybe vinyl dye, what'd I suggest is you goto something like a modeling store and see what type of paints they use for the plastic models. of what u could do that'd be REALLY neat is to print the stickers onto like sticker paper they use for those japanenese small stickers (like the izone film), they've got a slick glossy surface that might last longer than paper..
- maybe adhesive letters in cyrillic if u can find them
- plug in a external keyboard?
- put little squares of contact on the paper stickers?

jhh

Post by jhh » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:16 am

I think I remember seeing a web site that sold spare laptop parts inc replacement keyboards, have you looked?

tededfred

Post by tededfred » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:04 pm

Tore

Post by Tore » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:25 pm

Thanks! I looked at the www.paper-paper.com, and they had lots of cool papers. They had some SuperCal White Letter Decal Kit. I think I'll give that a try. Should be possible to get good looking letters :D

Chunker

If you wanna spend some money

Post by Chunker » Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:22 pm

Call up Fujitsu and get the part # for a replacement keyboard. Then, open the laptop and plug it in.

Kinda scary opening the laptop but if you wanna have a nice new keyboard this is the way to do it..

Otherwise, just get some Pantone silver markers and write on the keys..

p_UK

Post by p_UK » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:00 pm

Tore wrote:I've tried liquid paper, and it wasn't a success. Heat from fingers combined with heat from the computer made it feel sticky (yes, it was dry before I turned on computer again) and it smeared a little bit over time. Removed that and went back to paper. There might be differences between different brands, but I think I'll try something else.
have you tried applying a layer of varnish on top after the liquid paper?