Where do you get aluminum plates and/or large heatsinks?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toltery

Where do you get aluminum plates and/or large heatsinks?

Post by toltery » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:41 pm

I couldn't find anything like it in hardware stores. Just wondering if there is any place to order them from.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:46 pm

What are you using them for? hardrive sinks?

seishino

Post by seishino » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:38 pm

Large heatsinks don't really have a place at hardware stores, as they have no real use besides industry. You're best off diving at a local dump (if you have a weekend and would find such a thing to be "fun"), or scouring clearance electronics sites for parts stripped from industrial applications.

this page that I've referenced in the past has a good list of overstock / clearance parts dealers. You may have good luck with a google search, however.

You can get aluminum from machine shops. No, machine shops aren't as intimidating as you might think. Just realize that these people are craftsmen, and you should be OK.

-Chris

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:14 pm

metal scrapyard

toltery

Post by toltery » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:53 pm

Thanks. Yes I'm going to try to fashion an aluminum box for my maxtor 80gb 8mb 7200. It runs so hot that rubber boxes are out of the question. It's an FDB one so I'm mainly trying to reduce the seek clatter. It has no whine whatsoever. Once it's in the aluminum box I'm going to do an elastic suspension.