C&Q with X2 CPU causing problems, WinXP SP2

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snutten

C&Q with X2 CPU causing problems, WinXP SP2

Post by snutten » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:35 am

Bought a new computer recently, installed and updated WinXP, SP2. Motherboard supports (and bundled cd with) cool&quiet! so of course I used it. But I experienced some weird problems.
Exampli gratia: when I play chess on ICC and move the pieces fast the jump and lag a bit. This with a program running fluent on my old old Pentium 400 MHz computer. Just couldn't figure out why until I tried install an AMD driver without C&C - now it works fine.

It sucks because one of the reasons for going AMD was the C&C feature. Anybody else having trouble? Read there's a patch from Microsoft adressing problems with X2 C&C on WinXP, but it's not all official since this patch is not to be found on their website, you have to ask for it or find it elsewhere. The only one I found supported only english XP and complained about this before aborting the process.

Anybody knows more than me? Please educate me!

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am

That patch is from AMD, not from Microsoft. It fixed my problems with the origianl Ureal Tournament.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 06,00.html

snutten

Post by snutten » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:13 pm

Damnit, I checked and it seems I never did get rid of the C&C driver after all. Tried listening to some music and it still exhibited small hang-ups, with the sound on repeat for half a second or so now and then. Checking CPU with AMD speed program reveals it's still running C&C. And yes, the chess is back to un-playable again. It did OK when it was the only program running. Mozilla open in the background is enough to mess it up.

I have no clue what to do. My old computer ran smoother. Not what I hoped for when buying new...

Anybody? I feel like giving up and just cry! Worked so hard trying to fix this and never got a break.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:18 pm

Disable coolnquiet for now and see if the problem goes away (this should be as simple as changing the Power Scheme in Control Panel/Power Options to Home Office/Desk) and uninstall all CnQ drivers.

Does your motherboard allow undervolting? Also maybe try RMClock, see if it makes any difference (you can speed up the P-state transitions).

snutten

Post by snutten » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:05 pm

How do I un-install the Q&Q drivers? It's the very same drivers that run the CPU?
Anywhoo... are you married, jaganath? I tried RMClock and, lo and behold, I can play chess without the pieces lagging my mouse movements! Perhaps this was enough to fix my machine? Too early to call it a win yet. But as of now, I think I've developed a sudden crush for you, my computer saviour! ;-) Thanks a ton!!!

I'll write back on this later on.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:41 pm

:lol: I'm happily spoken for, unfortunately :wink: , but I'm glad to hear my suggestion seems to have solved your problem. Of course the problem might come back; if it does, the CnQ driver can be uninstalled by going to Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs, it will be called something like "Athlon 64 Processor Driver".