Thermaltake gives an insight into its design process

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gojira-X

Thermaltake gives an insight into its design process

Post by Gojira-X » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:11 pm

Since I have been a member of the SPCR forums, i have seen Thermaltake and ThermalRock (its budget subsidiary) take a huge hit from SPCR reviewers and forum users alike.
I signed up the Thermaltake email news letter to keep up with the raft of new products that Thermaltake releases every year (and more importantly scope out any interesting parts that I can use when i sell my current computer and build a new one). I thought that as my Xaser V WinGo had done me well and proved itself to have more capacity than I originally thought, I would reserve judgement on Tt.
From the news letter i got this like to Tt Life, at first I thought this was a marketing ploy pretending to be a lifestyle magazine, but in between the product listings and the editorials there are some interesting articles. I'll give a run down of the ones that caught my eye:

Vol 1: Article how to build a water cooling system,
Brazing - How Tt makes and tests water blocks.

Vol 2: Guide how to water cool the Xbox 360 with a Tribe VX.
The process that Thermaltake Designers follow to design the cases.

Vol 3: Article an promoting alternative to 1000w PSU's, the Power Express 250 - looks like possible marketing blurb, but I haven't read it yet.

For the record, I don't work for Thermaltke. I'm an under-employed Graduate mechanical engineer working in a travel Insurance firm.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 am

Thermaltake took some heat for mostly "overmarketing" making db claims about fan noise,for instance-that were misleading. db can be measured various ways..you can measure from a meter..or from 3 meters--big difference.

All the same...of all the companies that make computer stuff--Thermaltake was one of the first to CARE about Quiet. They have done innovative stuff. A great example is the fanless PSU that heatpipes the heat to fins OUTSIDE the case. Seems obvious that the heat is THERE in a fanless PSU,but heating the inside of your case ain't good. You can isolate,mount a PSU outside or in a seperate,vented chamber...but a lot of people don't.
TT's design makes sense.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:47 am

of all the companies that make computer stuff--Thermaltake was one of the first to CARE about Quiet.
Hmm, I'm guessing Nexus or Seasonic beat TT to that particular prize.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 pm

ronrem wrote:A great example is the fanless PSU that heatpipes the heat to fins OUTSIDE the case. Seems obvious that the heat is THERE in a fanless PSU,but heating the inside of your case ain't good.
But it didn't really do much good because they botched the execution of the idea; the external fins were inefficient because they packed them so closely together, as thermaltorque does time and time again, the components were of dubious quality, and the unit buzzed.