can a computer case be made into a big heatsink?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alk630

Post by alk630 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm

hexen wrote:wa wa we wow

that a-tech case is nice
do they make full-ATX versions?
Yes they do, quite a few:

http://www.atechfabrication.com/

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:37 am

dream caster
I looked for any way in their site to give feedback about these mistakes, found none, so I posted them here.
That's ok, 'cause I am the one who will do the editing :).

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:56 pm

silentmods has an article on making a flexible heatpipe. This uses one ribbed/flex segment attached to a couple of rigid pieces,so its more like a midway hinge than a gooseneck that accepts any shape.

As to the original question

It's more like can you turn a giant heatsink into a case than can you turn a case into a giant heatsink.

The same site also has illustrated articles on several totally zero-fan units that were built and are fully functional. The general impression is you just about need some machine shop access and skills.

I noticed that there's use of a relay strategy. Heatpipes draw heat from CPU to a copper block,then another set of heatpipes take heat from there to the main heatsink. This is because many of the heatpipes used are scavanged from CPU Heatsinks,Vid card or HDD heatsinks. They can be bent a little,but a relay block adds length and change of direction.

Figure it won't be cheap.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:10 am

ronrem
The general impression is you just about need some machine shop access and skills.
In fact you can get away with only one machine tool, which is quite inexpensive: the drill press. Other things can be done using hand tools.

Figure it won't be cheap.
Well, it's definitely not cheap in itself, but much cheaper than a TNN500.