My Uber silent PC

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ender17

My Uber silent PC

Post by Ender17 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:34 am

Steve_Y

Post by Steve_Y » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:13 pm

I wonder how much power that system actually uses? Certainly not enough to stress a decent 400W PSU I'd have thought.

It's funny to see the old misconceptions about power supplies still dragged out on forums. Like the idea that a higher maximum output will automatically make the PSU run cooler and more reliably. Of course the silliest thing is believing that you actually need a PSU anything like that powerful to run a relatively normal PC...

Although I can understand why people would buy that PSU thinking it'll be 'silent'. With the exception of products reviewed here, it can be very difficult to find accurate information about component noise. A lot of people take the manufacturer's spec at face value and would expect their 1200W PSU to only produce the claimed 16dBA. :roll:

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:37 pm

1200 watts.....

I was thinking about this number and how close it is to a TOASTER.

1200 watts.... blam. Imagine trying to silently cool something that can incinerate paper in 20 seconds... woot!?

my percolator chromed out 1960's styled coffee pot (i dont like drip) takes 1000 watts.... boils water in about 2 mins from cold water.....

lol

ayjay

Post by ayjay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:38 am

Wow. that's just mad. I saw someone on another forum recently advising to someone to get a really powerful psu for their rig similar to the one i had just fitted a 520W corsair into and I just thought "Do your homework, man. You're crazy"

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:15 am

yeah, a 520 corsair is max for any need. It can handle a 3.0ghz amd dual core with 8 gigs ram, 2-3 hd's, and 2900xt's in crossfire with ease...

hopefully, those 2900 will be the hallmark of a dying era of stupidly hot cards and 45nm cpu's will bring a chance at silent computing agian

Atmosper

Post by Atmosper » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Man, some people are stupid. The sucker has NO IDEA of how much power he is going to use and has a lot of misconceptions on PSUs and fans. He actually thinks he got a good deal.

Is the "I like big stuff"-mentality the reason why so many americans are so overweight? Like "Big is beautiful", or what?

I just thought of something. When it comes to PSUs, you never see some one saying "Geez, I have no idea how this thing works or what those numbers on it mean. I'll just get the cheapest one." Instead of doing their homework they just buy the one with the biggest number on it.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Meh. Don't see what you all folks are upset about. Compared to other "gamer" rigs out there in the wild his setup should be much quiter. His raptor is suspended. Although in his pics he still has stock heatsink his sig reads that he changed it to fanless thermalright. He doesn't have any fans on SB/NB, and I don't see any intake fans. So all in all I can only count three fans in his system, one outtake, one in PSU and one for video card. Sure, his PSU will be the loudest thing in the system, but coming down from 7 to 8 fans in a typical bling system down to only 3, I think that's a definite progress. If he changes his PSU his rig would be a very quiet one, on par with most of the rigs in our general gallery.

P.S. I just pray that we don't get an influx of all these gamers en masse on our neat and tidy little forums trying to make their rigs silent.