MSNBC / Newsweek article: Bravo Mike! ready for the rush?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

MSNBC / Newsweek article: Bravo Mike! ready for the rush?

Post by crisspy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:44 am

We know SPCR has been slashdotted before, but this could be bigtime. I hope your new server/s are up to it :)

It's about time that all the hard work that has gone into the contents of SPCR get the widespread exposure they deserve. I think a pictures-oriented big bold & up front introductory article should greet the many many non-technical folks who will end up landing here. Most of us are fairly technically oriented, and probably don't notice that this place is also slanted that way. If the MSNBC hit works it's magic, there will be a lot of folks end up here who need to be shown some good pictures of a normal little screaming HSF, because they don't know what an HSF is. Or a PSU, or a HDD. 'Click me to hear me make my noise' buttons would also help the completely atechnical crowd understand what's up.
  • Explain from the very simplest basics what parts of an average PC make the noise. Include pictures and sounds.
  • Simple general suggestions for each common problem spot, showing the easiest solutions to quiet each one.
  • Links as needed to the more detailed parts of SPCR's more in-depth content.
  • A simple guide for those folks who won't solve the problems themselves, as to how/what to ask a tekky to fix it for them, keeping in mind that most tekkies don't understand this stuff either.
  • A cool intro gizmo would be a clickable pic of a normal PC, where you click different parts of a typical noisy PC, and they toggle on/off their respective noises. This might really help a lot of atechnical's understand what each part adds to the cacaphony, and how they all add up.
Well, gotta fly. Just dump a big work idea on Mike and run... hehe... ;)

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:21 am

I'm so used to browsing just the forums I didn't even notice the link on the main site at first.

Looks like the site is finally getting the media attention it deserves!

Silencing a pc is a somewhat technical thing. I'm not so sure we should shy away from letting the site be what it is. I think the assumed level of computer understanding on the site is exactly where it needs to be. We have a forum for beginners, and we have proven to be a patient and helpful group for those just starting out. I think we might lose some of that great "techie appeal" if we dumb it down too much (And I for one would rather overestimate people with the option of providing help than assume that our visitors are idiots. I know I wouldn't have been pulled into the site if it had been filled with definitions of computer parts and such.)

Just my 2 cents ...
Last edited by dgouldin on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:59 pm

Hey dgouldin, I hope I didn't give the impression of wanting to 'dumb it down' around here. I just thought that a really absolutely basic introduction, available from an impossible to miss link up front, would be an asset. When I think of all the non-tekkies who will find SPCR through Newsweek (people who aren't even good at surfing, just able to check email from friends and family, etc.), many would appreciate a very basic intro (that's not too hard to read). This site wouldn't be of any use without the heavy tech., but it's for that exact reason that it's also potentially daunting. If we want quiet computing to become more mainstream practice, then we need the recent retirees to want to buy a quiet computer for the den, and understand the issue at least enough to ask for one, instead being caught unaware. A lot of folks don't even realise how much noise a PC makes, until they turn it off, or until someone points it out to them (I confess my guilt for having caused several people to become very unhappy with there PC's).

I agree that SPCR is friendly, and it looks easy to most of us, but I worry that many folks who might stumble in here in response to Newsweek won't be able to climb in that easily. Lot's of them just won't know what a forum is, let alone register for and post on it. Think lowest common denominator. I don't think they should go away empty handed. In a lot of ways, even just explaining the problems to them, and making sure they know that the solutions could be found here, might help prompt them to get their local tech support to check SPCR out, and get with the plan.

dgouldin

Post by dgouldin » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:25 pm

Point taken. Sorry if I came off a little defensive ... I had visions of purposely misspelled business names (aka Kwik Wash), teenie bopper pop music, and the rest of mainstream society's crap invading one of my most beloved internet sites running through my head. :lol:

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:26 pm

Probably should make the "Quiet and Fast" article the basis for it. My mom is one of "email only crowds." Intuitive, and easy to see, lots of pictures and "get to the point" I think lots of clickable pictures and maybe short video clips with sound files. Though sound is an issue since people have different volume settings on their systems, so you'd have to make it all comparitive. I guess, to sum it up, think 3dgameman video reviews... uh ... <sigh>

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:29 pm

Here here ;) SPCR is great b/c it dares to leave that ear splitting norm behind....

It's always a challenge to figure out just where a place like this would be best positioned in the greater fray of things. Mike seems do do a pretty bang up job. (we hopes he not minding the minions to be thinking too much about it)