Will a soundcard improve audio recording?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Will a soundcard improve audio recording?

Post by ez2remember » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:08 pm

Hi folks,

My Radeon AIW 8500 captures video extremely well especially in mpeg2, the problem is the muffled sound I get when it comes to the audio. This can be easily heard at moderate to loud volumes and more so for music. I have an onboard 5.1 sound with the mobo. My AIW has an external line which is fed into the sound card (Line In). Is this causing the problem?

So to my question; will having a seperate sound card improve recording quality?

I am not looking for audiophillia quality, I just don't want the sound to be so muffled and sound like it breaks when the volume is even set moderately.

So will something like SB Live 5.1 do? I knows it is old, but its cheap and don't want to fork out for SB Audigy 2. Note, I find nothing wrong with output of sound from the onboard sound, it's fine to me.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:52 pm

Have you adjusted the recording input level for the soundcard? The reason I point this out is that seems to be independent of any controls in the AIW software. You have to adjust it yourself to an optimum level.

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:19 am

To be honest, I don't think that the soundcard enters the picture as far as video recording goes on the AIW.

Remove the line-in, and I am sure it will still record sound.

I don't have time to try it right now, so I could be wrong.

kamina

Post by kamina » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:32 am

The AIW should only transfere the image, sound should have nothing to do with your videocard... :) You can ofcourse check out the recording settings within your current card, but if it is using the ac97 codec it's bound to be very bad quality. I'm not a very big fan of creatives cards, and I don't think analogue recording quality was good on the live. If you find one for extremly cheap, or used the live could be worth it... If you can, I would recomend turtle beach over creative, though they don't make "professional" cards, their AD converters are alot better then creatives.

You mentioned the sound somehow goes from the AIW to the line in on the card? How about trying to pull the audio directly from the camera to the line in on the soundcard? Atleast you would have one hop less on the way.