Putting my server in the closet

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fancontrol

Putting my server in the closet

Post by fancontrol » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:18 am

We're turning one room into an office, and I'd like to put my server (such that it is, Shuttle SV25), router, cable modem and other ugly stuff in what was a closet.

My concern is that if we choose to leave the door closed and the PC on that it will get too hot in there. To make matters worse, all this stuff will probably go on the top shelf, above the top of the door.

Anyone have experience? Certianly someone has an oppinion.

I'm pretty sure I spelled oppinion wrong. But that's just my oppinion.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:18 pm

Here's my oppinion:lol:, you're "probably" going to have to find a way to vent the top of that closet. Probably, but not definetely.

This is what I would do: (I've been doing some thinking about doing a project like this myself, so I've had time in advance to come up with these)

1.Do whatever mods you need to do to the shuttle to make sure it has the best case ventilation possible. Since it's going into the closet noise is not that important. Now's the time to pull out the Delta's.

2. Do whatever you can to it to reduce it's heat output. (you may have done all this already) Pull everything but the HDD's, and any accessory cards you don't need, like video. Undervolt it if you can. Pull out any floppy or CD drives, to free airspace inside.

3. Before you go through all the trouble of rerouting everything, just put the server in the closet by itself for 24 hours. Monitor it's temps to see if it's going to bake.

If it survives the first 24 hours with reasonable temps, then you'll safe. If it doesn't then you'll need to get creative about getting that heat out of there. I've been thinking about cutting a 120mm up at the top, and venting it out with a 120mm attached to the PSU via a long wire. That way the fan will run whenever the computer is on. You could cover the outside of the vent with an HVAC vent from Home Depot.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:19 pm

You will very likely have to vent the closet, otherwise the heat will just build up, unless the walls can somehow absorb and remove the heat. The simplest thing would be to put a small vent at the top part of the door. You would have to cut some opening. And even better, put the same venting at the bottom so the airflow goes from bottom to top.

pingu666
Friend of SPCR

Post by pingu666 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:01 am

m8 of mine used a 80 to 120adapter and 120mm fan on the rear of his shuttle ;)
what about standing it on its front? if u dont need the drive bays it dont really matter:)