Cooler Master Musketeer

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Is it cool?

Yes
44%
No
44%
What do you mean 'cool', you sly old fox!
13%

Total votes: 16

CoolGav

Cooler Master Musketeer

Post by CoolGav » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:21 am

Cooler Master have a new drive bay product called the Musketeer

It has three analogue meters showing temperature, voltage and dB for a temp probe, fan voltage controller and audio level. The fan is controllable as is the audio meter sensativity. Apart from that it looks good with blue backlights...

Has anyone seen one for real, used one etc etc??? I'm thinking of getting one in black, but the place I've seen them seems to be sending out silver ones when you order black! It would match my black and blue case quite well, and may help me keep an eye on things...

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:58 am

a fancontroller shootout, maybe it'll help you
its with the antec, a zalman and the coolermaster

http://www.crazymodders.be/index.php?p= ... 8&lang=eng

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:30 pm

I have one - start with the bad:

Temp - Scale runs from 10 to 80 Degress C. Therefore basically useless, as the scale is too small to read even fairly large (Say 5 Degree) variations in temperature.

dB - This is crazy - all the control does is change the sensitivity of the meter. It doesn't make the volume go up or down or anything useful. Basically, at low setting, the meter doesn't move at all - at high setting, it bounces around a lot. Big Deal!

Now - there is a reason I went right to left - the voltage setting makes the whole thing worth every penny, and then some. It allows you to set the voltage between six and ten volts - right in the sweet spot. Further, according to Coolermaster tech support, the circuit is designed to take 40 watts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the past two weeks I have been running it 24/7 with 2x90mm L1a and 2x80mm M1 without issue :) This is exactly what I needed for my cooling scheme. The case is near silent at six volts, and blows plenty of air at 10Volts.

One downside - as with every other controller, it doesn't fit behind the door of my Coolermaster ATC-110. It will be a shame when I take the Dremel to it, as it is a beautiful piece of work, even the parts you can't see.

Gooserider

Controllers with KNOBS are not cool!

Post by Gooserider » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:46 pm

I don't understand why anyone thinks a fan controller that requires MANUAL user intervention is cool... More like stone age to me...

Do you think refrigerators that require constant manual control of temperature are cool? No - you want to set a temperature control ONCE, then have the fridge control the temperature cycling itself.

So WHY do review sites and users go gaga over fan controllers that require the user to either constantly fiddle with them manually, or set them high enough to handle the maximum load, and live with the resulting racket even when it isn't needed???? :roll: :cry:

I want (and can't seem to find, other than as DIY projects, or one off productions) a controller that is AUTOMATIC!

- something that allows me to set a start temperature and a 'ramp up' rate for each fan in my system, possibly combining multiple sensors, but not necessarily.

- Once set, turns fans OFF when they aren't needed, or turns them on, and sets appropriate speeds when things warms up WITHOUT REQUIRING ANY USER INTERVENTION!

If this device did something like that it might be cool. Instead it is just like all the other stone-age manual junk that causes users to either set to high and get annoised, or set to low and cook their systems....

Scuse me - gotta go check the fridge....

Gooserider

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:30 am

There is always the question of liability if the controller happens to fry out something (controller/user error?). To make a controller with features You mentioned, You need in-board logic (=microcontroller). Surely You can build a circuit that starts the fan at certain temp (and maybe even set the voltage/temp rise ratio by changing the temp endpoint), but You'd have to calibrate it every time You want to change it. Making a controller that suites our needs requires in-board logic, and somebody has to program it.

Plus, the present controllers are made for "ricers". Bright blue LEDs, backlit LCDs, and even VU meters, as in the Musketeer. Many people outside SPCR wouldn't want to invest $50-100 for a black box that controls fans. Most people would also lack the knowledge/skill to install/configure such a controller.

What we need is a vendor that would want to make a controller with our requirements, like NoiseBlocker is doing with their case design. I'd chip in with my ideas...

Cheers,

Jan

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:29 am

Thanks guys for your comments. I only have the in-line Zalman's, so with a closed case they can't be reached. So being able to control a single fan manually should I want to is more than I have at present!

This unit would go an what is probably my quietest PC, which has a cheap ECS motherboard which I can't get any meaningful temps off of, so a 5°C variation would have some usage. Perhaps I could just get a better board (and move from PC133 to DDR with my XP 2400+) with the money I'd save not gettting the Musketeer or something else.

Interesting to hear about the audio meter. I have some audio gear anyway, so my PC audio can easily be measured with flickering LEDs, so it looks like this really is a gimmick and worthless for me.

I'd agree that even although it would fit in the colour scheme of my case, it does add some 'rice-ness'. If the backlights could be turned off it would be better, but it's looking more and more like a gimmick for me and of little real gain in my day to day PC usage - apart from the fan control...

Perhaps as an electronic enginner (who writes firmware for a living), a better route for me would be DIY if I decide I want a controller with auto fan speed and feedback of voltages and temps. I can definatly see why an auto controller for fan speed would be better than manual...

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:15 am

To continue on the fan controller :
- AOpen tries to do that in software with certain motherboard (mixed comments from SPCR members) (see SilenTek2

- Innovatek makes a full featured automatic fan controller (Fan-O-Matic) that does just everything you asked for ... with a software to configure it. But the price is > 100 $, IIRC. It can even change the flow of a (innovatek) water cooling system.

Riffer

Re: Controllers with KNOBS are not cool!

Post by Riffer » Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:41 pm

Gooserider wrote:I don't understand why anyone thinks a fan controller that requires MANUAL user intervention is cool... More like stone age to me...

Do you think refrigerators that require constant manual control of temperature are cool? No - you want to set a temperature control ONCE, then have the fridge control the temperature cycling itself.

So WHY do review sites and users go gaga over fan controllers that require the user to either constantly fiddle with them manually, or set them high enough to handle the maximum load, and live with the resulting racket even when it isn't needed???? :roll: :cry:

I want (and can't seem to find, other than as DIY projects, or one off productions) a controller that is AUTOMATIC!

- something that allows me to set a start temperature and a 'ramp up' rate for each fan in my system, possibly combining multiple sensors, but not necessarily.

- Once set, turns fans OFF when they aren't needed, or turns them on, and sets appropriate speeds when things warms up WITHOUT REQUIRING ANY USER INTERVENTION!

If this device did something like that it might be cool. Instead it is just like all the other stone-age manual junk that causes users to either set to high and get annoised, or set to low and cook their systems....

Scuse me - gotta go check the fridge....

Gooserider
And when that's available I'll buy it too :D

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:54 pm

dago: - Innovatek makes a full featured automatic fan controller (Fan-O-Matic) that does just everything you asked for ... with a software to configure it. But the price is > 100 $, IIRC. It can even change the flow of a (innovatek) water cooling system.
Sounds interesting, and not that far out of line compared to the other alternatives I've been looking at. However, I can't get either of the links you gave to work ("could not locate remote server" errors). :oops:

Do you know of any alternative links? Preferably someplace that I could order it from in the US if it turns out to be as you describe?

Gooserider

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:26 am

bump for Riffer (alsmot sync post) -> Innovatek Fan-O-Matic

gooserider > as innovatek is a well-known german brand in the european watercooling scene, it's quite easy to get their products ... here ;)

For example, a shop 10km from where I work has it for 250 CHF (165 $) ... now, in the US, I cannot manage to find it.

If you really want to buy it, I could arrange it without any problems.

BTW, for webpage mayb try this google translation ?

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:27 am

BTW, for webpage mayb try this google translation ?
Well, I got the Google translation to open, which immediately brought to mind the old 'dancing bear' quote - "The amazing thing about a dancing bear is not how gracefully it dances, but that it dances at all...." :)

Google translation is like that - it is amazing how well it does, but the translation quality does leave A LOT to be desired... From what I think I read, :? there is nothing that rules the Fan-O-Matic out, except possibly the question of whether it can be programmed in Linux or not (all that was talked about was Windows) and I got the impression that it otherwise did what I wanted.

But I'm not about to make a purchase decision based on a Babelfish translation, so I'm definitely on a search for a good native english version and possibly some english language reviews.

Many thanks for the pointers Dago, If this turns out to be the controller I've been searching for (and neither Dutch2 or FanControl are ready to ship) I'll try getting it through you if I can't get a stateside source.

Gooserider

Fastman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Fastman » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:37 am

Here is a better english translation .

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:01 pm

Ah, that one is much better, at least it makes sense. Unfortuneately the download links are still in German.

But it is looking better all the time, aside from the software question.

Gooserider

cliche

Post by cliche » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:02 am

looked great in the reviews; saw it on Saturday at a computer show and I would describe it as "naff" as my friend put it (technical term I believe) :lol:

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:16 pm

[quote] Cliche:
looked great in the reviews; saw it on Saturday at a computer show and I would describe it as "naff" as my friend put it (technical term I believe) [\quote]

Cliche, I noticed you are from the UK, can you point me at any of the reviews you've seen that are in english? Unfortuneately I don't speak german, and as I've said earlier, Babelfish leaves alot to be desired.

Thanks,

Gooserider

cliche

Post by cliche » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:35 am

Gooserider wrote:
Cliche:
looked great in the reviews; saw it on Saturday at a computer show and I would describe it as "naff" as my friend put it (technical term I believe) [\quote]

Cliche, I noticed you are from the UK, can you point me at any of the reviews you've seen that are in english? Unfortuneately I don't speak german, and as I've said earlier, Babelfish leaves alot to be desired.

Thanks,

Gooserider
Here u are - hope these help: :wink:

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.ph ... 0&PageID=3

http://www.extrememhz.com/musketeer-p1.shtml

http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=301

http://www.rbmods.com/rbmods/Articles/C ... teer/1.php

http://www.pureoc.com/cmmusketeer_1.asp

http://www.burnoutpc.com/index.php?page ... iew_id=187

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:36 pm

cliche wrote:
Gooserider wrote:
Cliche:
looked great in the reviews; saw it on Saturday at a computer show and I would describe it as "naff" as my friend put it (technical term I believe)

Thanks,

Gooserider
Um... I think that Gooserider wanted english reviews of Innovatek Fan-O-Matic. :D

Jan

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:14 pm

cliche:
looked great in the reviews; saw it on Saturday at a computer show and I would describe it as "naff" as my friend put it (technical term I believe)
Gooserider:
cliche: Here u are - hope these help:

:roll: Actually, cliche; they were not of any help at all, and in fact wasted a considerable amount of my time. :( I appreciate that you wanted to help, but somewhere you apparently lost the content of what was being discussed. I made it very clear in my first post of the thread that I think the CoolerMaster Musketeer is a near totally worthless peice of Mickey Mouse trash.

Dago noticed my post that also mentioned what I WAS looking for in the way of a controller, and pointed me at the Inovatek 'Fan-O-Matic' which is a German product not imported into the US AFAIK. With one exception, all the stuff I've been able to find on the Fan-O-Matic has been in german, which I don't speak. At least some of the pages have Bablefish translations via Google, but I find those nearly as hard to understand as the German originals :?

I am looking for english reviews on the FAN-O-MATIC and have zero to negative interest in the Mousketeer.

Gooserider

cliche

Post by cliche » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:27 am

sorry - if they wasted yr time, perhaps the pics would have speeded things up ?

Anyway, tried to help, my error

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:07 pm

When did this thread get hijacked into a Fan-O-Matic thread?

Might make a good thread on it's own, as I am also interested.

cliche

Post by cliche » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:12 pm

Riffer wrote:When did this thread get hijacked into a Fan-O-Matic thread?

Precisely - I was speed reading through all the threads - saw the info and pic top and a request for help.
I make a mistake when trying to help and I get jumped upon - oh well :roll:

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:40 pm

cliche wrote:
Riffer wrote:When did this thread get hijacked into a Fan-O-Matic thread?

Precisely - I was speed reading through all the threads - saw the info and pic top and a request for help.
I make a mistake when trying to help and I get jumped upon - oh well :roll:
NOTE: Off topic civility post & split-off of Fan-O-Matic :D

cliche: Your help was well-intended and therefore, appreciated. :)

And it was not you that expanded the topic(s) in the thread. The Fan-o-matic entered the discussion as dago responded to a question/remark from Riffer and Gooserider

And this whole thing could easily be moved to Fans & Control (and splitting it into two threads is a good idea, Riffer).

Here it is....Fan-O-Matic thread now found at: English info/supplier on Innovatek Fan-O-Matic?

We now return you to the Cooler Master Musketeer thread......

:wink: :D

Riffer

Post by Riffer » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:03 pm

BTW, I opened up the Coolermaster today and there are two mystery potentiometers. Might do some experimentation when I get back from vacation.

Gotta go visit the new Fan-O-Matic thread now :D

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:11 pm

Thanks for the split, Aphonos, I was a bit concerned about the hijacking, but wasn't quite sure what to do about it...

Cliche, I appreciate that you were trying to help, and I wasn't blaming you for how I spent my time, just grumbling that I did. No serious offense intended.

I won't respond to any further Fan-O-Matic posts in this thread, but will go to the new split and see what happens there.

Gooserider

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:40 pm

to come back on topic (did I started to go off ??? me ??? :roll: )

I think this stuff is 'cool', and add a definitive jacky touch (ricer for you US'ians) to a computer.

But if I were to buy it, it would just be for the VUmeter, which is something I though off for a long time, not for the fan control capabilities.

But then, you'll better build your own (cf HDD Anaglo VUMeter)

oh no, I'm going off topic again ... :wink:

cliche

Post by cliche » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:28 am

no worries chaps - SPCR, what a friendly community, I get less lovin from my missus :lol: