Threads vs board index etc...confusing me.

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thesmileyone

Threads vs board index etc...confusing me.

Post by thesmileyone » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:22 am

So now I am running completely silent PC which is AWESOME but I had to quit PC Gaming, need to find a new hobby. I may upgrade to a 0db when silent but not 0db when gaming rig in the future but what I really want is something like a passive GTX 1060 6GB. I am hoping Palit will do this next gen card wise as they do 1050ti 4GB passive currently but I want to get rid of my dual 1080p monitor setup and replace with a 34" of some kind. My cpu idles at 45C and never goes to 80C. 2500k standard overclock. My case is a Carbide 400R so lots of holes which is great for airflow. DH-14 cooler with the fans turned off. Probably going to take the fans out totally but I am waiting to see what happens in the summer when it gets hot I might need to go back to fans...hope not. But I did in the past have to turn the overclock from 4.8ghz to 4.4ghz in the summer heatwave or it would run into issues under heavy load.

Now the problem with silence is I can hear some kind of coil whine. I can't locate where it comes from but its either my monitor (not using other one) or my PC itself.

For instance SPCR board index. Perfectly Silent.

This thread I am creating. Perfectly Silent.

Browse a thread like this? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69001 - I can hear some high pitched noise. Put that thread in a tab but don't view it? perfectly silent.

I am using the HD 3000 chipset through dvi currently.

None of my pc components whine. I use high quality PSU's overrated for what I need and I find this fixes all the problems with coil whine however for example many years ago my 8800 GTX had it and my 580 GTX had it and my AMD 7970 had it...... I guess some cards you have no choice.

So my question is how can I isolate the noise and then how do I fix it?

Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Re: Threads vs board index etc...confusing me.

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:48 am

Coil whine is a tough thing to solve, sometimes. It can be caused by your mains power - sometimes a bad ground is the reason, or it could be an electrical user nearby you, that is putting noise into the grid. It can be an interaction between two or more components in your system - the power supply, motherboard, and video card are the usual suspects. Trading out the video card and/or the PSU are a way to test things.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:00 am

I can't locate where it comes from but its either my monitor (not using other one) or my PC itself.
Have you tried turning the monitor on/off and see if that changes the whine?

Passive GTX 1060: unlikely. 75W is the usual limit for fanless gfx cards.

thesmileyone

Post by thesmileyone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 am

Hi, forgot to update this.

It was the monitor :/