Feedback on my beautiful (Lian-Li PC-6070) quiet plans

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jverheul
*Lifetime Patron*

Feedback on my beautiful (Lian-Li PC-6070) quiet plans

Post by jverheul » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:12 pm

This is easier than listing it all here:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=264288

I already have the CPU (Thoroughbred B), HD, and CDRW for far less money than @ Newegg. I included everything that they had in the list just to be complete. I will get Panaflo 80mm 12V L fans, not the H's listed. They will be mounted with those little blue things too. I already have a Seasonic 300FS. I am also thinking of a few of these:

http://www.muffledcomputing.com/mufflers.html

for the rears and PS. Oh, and the MB comes with round cables.

Why:
I got the CPU really cheap so it started with that. I also got the HD and CDRW really cheap. The HD is very fast and silent in a rubber box, plus it has a 3yr warranty. I still don't think SATA is worth it from the benchmarks I have seen. I won the PS here in an earlier giveaway. Thanks MikeC!

I was going to go with the SLK-3700 case, but the Lian$Li is just to beautiful! I like the idea of the sliding MB tray too, though I have never had one.

The MB is said to be good for overclocking, but DFI and MSI also have NForce Ultra boards. I am thinking of taking up gaming, thus the $ video card.

Weird ideas:
It looks like I can put a HD or 2 horizontally in the lower bays inside of either carving rubber boxes or SilentDrives with the fans blowing on them. This will leave room to put a fan or 2 on the bottom rear of the case as intakes. I might have to elevate the case a bit for this. It also looks like I can add a second exhaust below the stock one in back.

I still don't know if the CPU fan should be on the HS or a Zalman bracket.

As I have no kids or pets, all grills will be removed.

Questions:
Will I be OK running all these fans at 5-7V given the thermal load of the CPU and GPU? Keep in mind I plan to overclock as far as I can (2x200MHz FSB, 2GHz CPU, and who knows about GPU). See my current rig sig. I really do want it all, fast and quiet.

Can the case front be modified for improved intake air flow?

Has anybody else tried those mufflers?

Will the door close on the fan controller?

Will a quality 300W supply be enough, or should I hold out for a 350W or 400W Super Tornado?

Is the the Thermalright SP94 marginally better than the SLK947, assuming they offer the former for socket A?

What is everybodies favorite NForce Ultra board?

I figure this system will be my limit for quiet aircooling, any more thermal load and I will go to liquid cooling.

Any and all feedback welcomed!

Thanks much,
JV
Last edited by jverheul on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:30 am

Your system looks good! You have a Zalman 92mm fan listed in your basket, but I assume that will also be changed to a Panaflo L model.

The only thing I would change is the video card. You said you are thinking of taking up gaming--I strongly urge you to reconsider. Videogames are bad for you. They've mutated me from a fascinating individual into a mindless zombie. Instead, you should buy a Radeon 7000 and a pile of books, or something. :D

Regarding the PSU, the "How much will a 300W PSU run?" thread lists some happy systems that are more power-hungry than your proposed system, so 300W should suit you well.

Good luck on your project!

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:02 am

The consensus here from the posts I have read about mufflers is that if you are running your fans at 5-7v you should not need them.

They generate most benefit when you have a loud box with highpower fans.

jverheul
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jverheul » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:15 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:Your system looks good! You have a Zalman 92mm fan listed in your basket, but I assume that will also be changed to a Panaflo L model.
Yep.
SometimesWarrior wrote:Regarding the PSU, the "How much will a 300W PSU run?" thread lists some happy systems that are more power-hungry than your proposed system, so 300W should suit you well.
Thats good to hear. I guess that means I should get another 80mm Panaflo L for my PS.

Thanks,
JV
Last edited by jverheul on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jverheul
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jverheul » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:19 am

ruprag wrote:The consensus here from the posts I have read about mufflers is that if you are running your fans at 5-7v you should not need them. They generate most benefit when you have a loud box with highpower fans.
I could not resist trying these right now on my current case. I just ordered a kit with all 3 mufflers and some mat. I think that most of my current noise is from the back of my case, reflected off the wall. We'll see what happens.

Thanks,
JV

wisefool
*Lifetime Patron*

WD120JB is loud!

Post by wisefool » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:40 am

Hiya there, system looks good but I hope you are sure that the WD will be silent in a rubber box/suspended.

At the moment I have my own system two foot below me, to the left. I also have a ReplayTV (a personal VCR recorder) with a WD120 JB in there. I can hear that above the noise from my computer. It is about ten feet away.

The components in your new system will be quiet, so the loudest component will be either the PSU or the hard drives.

jverheul
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jverheul » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:52 pm

I don't think the WD120JB will be any worse than the WD80JB I have now. It is silent in a carving rubber box sitting on foam in the bottom from of my case.

See this thread:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=

JV