Anyone ever go to a diff forum and feel superior?

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AzN jonzOrz

Anyone ever go to a diff forum and feel superior?

Post by AzN jonzOrz » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:22 pm

I feel like this all the time. Whenever i try to suggest something new and better thats more quiet, they flame me saying that i'm lying. Then after a few weeks, the whole forum has adopted the ideas i spread. BTW...all of my silencing ideas are from SPCR, which i always attribute.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:50 pm

I don't know about feeling "superior," but I've been to forums and posted about things that I really do know about, and people have clung tenaciously to the urban legends and other things that they "know" are correct.

I've had this happen regarding radio communication, martial arts, electronics, skiing, and a couple of other things. I'll bet I can still find people who "know" that you can strike a person's nose and drive the "nose bone" into their brain and kill them. Doesn't work that way, but you'll probably find people who "know" that it does.

Where did you post?

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:07 pm

Punching somone up into the nose still kills a person, right? It works in the movies...

Every now and then you'll hear someone tell about their new, super fast computer that is so powerful that it is really noisy. I'll bet a lot of people would be amazed by this forum

AzN jonzOrz

Post by AzN jonzOrz » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:28 pm

I've posted at places like sudhian.com....an SFF place (i am still intersted in those small fast comps) They had never heard of samsung spinpoint and kept saying how only barracudas ard quiet. They had never heard of silenX either and COINCIDENTALLY *right* shuttle has made their own psu and named their brand SilentX. Anyways...it always takes them a long time to realize that my info is correct and then they start adopting it.

sbabb
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sbabb » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:01 pm

Trip wrote:Punching somone up into the nose still kills a person, right? It works in the movies...

Every now and then you'll hear someone tell about their new, super fast computer that is so powerful that it is really noisy. I'll bet a lot of people would be amazed by this forum
Heh. :roll: Lots of things work in the movies that don't work in real life. People outrunning fireballs and explosions has become popular in recent years. And how is it that we have computers but no rooms full of 1/2" reel-to-reel tape drives and big consoles with flashing lights and lots of annoying beeping and whirring? OK, some people have annoying beeping and whirring, and that's why they come here, right?

Putz

Post by Putz » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:49 pm

In all my years of computing (I started browsing the 'Net with the first version of NCSA Mosaic), SPCR was the first forum I felt compelled to join. After this, I have started posting elsewhere, but I invariably find the people to be less-knowledgeable and less-friendly. And nobody knows what "quiet" really means in computer-related contexts unless they are also members here, that's for sure. (So many people at StorageReview say they can't hear their WD JB hard drives inside their "quiet" cases.)