Silverstone's Flagship: Temjin TJ06 PC case

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Tim Connor

Re: Hehe

Post by Tim Connor » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:47 am

velvet45 wrote: Good luck with your new build. Let me know how you like your A8N- SLI.. . Which PSU are you planning to use? These SLI rigs seem to be needing plenty of power on the 12V- they are recommending at least 20 AMPs on the rail for the more powerful GPU's, and dual rail might be the best way to go. Otherwise, why are manufacturers like Seasonic coming out with SLI PSU's with dual 12V?
Consensus on this is mixed. I haven't heard anyone with high wattage quality single rail supplies complaining. But have heard complaints with quality dual rail supplies that supplied 15-18 amps on the one rail. Its all anecdotal though.

I run a Seasonic 460 (single rail), but only with a single 6600GT. System has been stable as rock (knock wood).

Regards, Tim

ChristianN

Post by ChristianN » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:37 pm

I'd have to agree; I've yet to see an actual review from a renowned site with conclusive evidence of dual rail problems vs single rail lack of issues.

But as I said; I went for single rail to save myself a headache. I'm quite sure there'll be quite a few of those down the line in this build.

kryptonite

Post by kryptonite » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:39 pm

velvet45

Have you had any luck with the MSI Neo4 Platinum and the NCU2000 in the TJ06? I have the TJ06 and I'm also planning on getting a Neo4 Platinum.

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:10 pm

Kryptonite,

I decided to go with the DFI nForce4 Ultra. Ordered one today in fact. The reason I chose that over the Neo4 was the Chipset is cooled by a much quieter maglev fan. Both mobo NB coolers may require replacement with a modified Zalman cooler however. The CPU placement on this mobo will probably mean I will have to lose the duct but I did not want to pass up the chance to try this new board.

Maybe I can still get adequate cooling by using one (or both!) bottom fans for intake and punch another exhaust up behind the HDD cage. I plan to use the XP-120 so that should keep the CPU cool even without the duct. The CPU placement on the DFI is also much more central on the board so the argument that without the duct the CPU will heat up the case components is not nearly as valid. This board in the normal upright position will also heat up components (such as memory modules) in the case as the CPU is farther than normal from the exhaust fan.

kryptonite

Post by kryptonite » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:23 pm

Velvet45

A while back I was looking into getting a Neo2 Platinum, which has a layout similar to the DFI you ordered. I emailed the tech support at silverstone and he said that I wouldn't be able to use the windtunnel with that board. The CPU on the DFI appears to be located even more central than the Neo2 so I don't think you'll be able to use the windtunnel either. Maybe you could rig up a ducting system using one of these ducts http://www.evercool.com.tw/products/ad-02.htm.

Tim Connor

Updated A8N-SLI

Post by Tim Connor » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:47 am

Figured I would post an update on my build. The Zalman ZM-NB47J does in fact fit with two 6600GTs. Since the system is mostly mid range stuff in regards to processor and memory I figured I didn' need the hassle of selling the first 6600GT and replacing it with a 6800GT. I was able to find a refurbished ASUS 6600gtcard cheap and took the plunge - plus I could play with the SLI. I realize that a single 6800GT would have been both more cost effective and quiet and cooler. However the 6800GT is still selling for quite a premium.

Problem was I think the refurbished card was returned for a noisy fan. Boy was it loud and hence any savings was quickly erased by the purchase of two VF700s. In copper of course so they matched the Cu heat sinks already installed on the ram of both cards :lol: FYI I had to take a Dremel to the VF700 and remove about 1mm from about 5 fins to get them to clear the stock ram coolers on the ASUS card.

Enjoy! Regards, Tim

http://home.comcast.net/~timconnor/PC_P ... l_6600.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~timconnor/PC_P ... l_Dual.jpg

Admin edit for oversized pics.

mixter

Post by mixter » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:26 am

Nice work Tim!
How are the temps running with the TT cpu heatsink?
How's the noise?

Tim Connor

Post by Tim Connor » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:39 am

Temperature on a 3200+ Winchester is about 39C at idle and with CPU burn has hit 59C. In summer it might be a degree or two higher. So I have no complaints with the TT, but I agree with Mike that the mounting system stinks. BTW Cool and Quiet is off it lowers temps about another 4C at idle.

Noise is subjectively quite good. Although I have four fans + PS fan going they are all running slowly. The front fan I added later dropped the case temps about 4C - I think it blows right on the sensor, but I also added it because it hits the passive NB. The HD noise except for seeks is not audible above the fans. I don't find the seek noise objectionable so accoustic managmement is off to keep the slight performance bump.

(Admin - I've no problems with the editing of the pictures, but I'm curious what size / kb you would prefer. I usually post 800x600 in the 160kb range and have had no complaints elsewhere. Did I miss something in a FAQ? )

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:57 am

Tim Connor wrote:....(Admin - I've no problems with the editing of the pictures, but I'm curious what size / kb you would prefer. I usually post 800x600 in the 160kb range and have had no complaints elsewhere. Did I miss something in a FAQ? )
Yes, generally 640x480 or smaller is preferred. There are still a significant # of visitors who use dialup.

ChristianN

Post by ChristianN » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:52 pm

My project in this case is finaly documented..

See the following thread for more info:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=20185

Olav the Viking

Silverstone Temjin TJ06 | 4-Wire PWM Fans | D925XECV2 MOBO

Post by Olav the Viking » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:30 pm

:arrow: Sat 19Mar2005 - I had some cooling problems initially with my Temjin TJ06 case and the Intel D925XECV2 MOBO with the LGA775 P4-560J.

The problem was the MOBO rear zone temperature (Zone B or Zone 2, depending upon whether you are displaying it with the Intel Desktop Utilities or the IDCC). The stock TJ06 120mm fans are quiet, but when the MOBO/Processor starts to heat up, their top speed of ~1200 RPM just doesn't cut it.

It took me some time searching before I finally stumbled upon an Intel document "4-Wire Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) Controlled Fans": http://www.formfactors.org/developer/sp ... Public.pdf, that actually described in detail their 4-Wire PWM fan specifications.
This document should be required reading for all SPCR fan buffs.

Once I knew what type of fan could be controlled by the auxilliary rear fan socket on the MOBO I was able to locate one supplier of PWM fans, JMC Products: http://www.jmcproducts.com. I replaced the rear fan with a $20 JMC 1225-12HBHAPW 25 x 120mm PWM fan which has a top speed of ~2700 RPM. At its normal running speed for nominal system loading (~1100 RPM), it has the same airflow and noise characteristics as the stock TJ06 fan. When things start to heat up though, it ramps up and is very effective in removing the heat and hot air generated by the CPU and its cooling fan - heat which just happens to get dumped into the rear temperature zone of the MOBO.

I set the MOBO fan control parameters for this fan to ramp from minimum to maximum speed from 38° to 58° C. I am still using the stock Intel CPU cooler, have not had any problem with CPU cooling since, and now the rear zone MOBO temperature never goes out of spec. It is noisier when it ramps up, but a little noise is much better than crispy critters inside the box. I'm very pleased with the results of using this fan. :D

When time permits, I plan on replacing the front TJ06 120mm fan with one of these JMC fans as well. The only shortcoming to the new fans is that they are shipped with short (about 5") leads which are unusable, and one must splice them to be longer. It is nice if you have the correct MOLEX pins (08 50 0114), so that only one splice is required to extend the fan leads and then new pins are put on the end for insertion into the fan plug. If one does a lot of PC modifications, it makes sense to order a bag of 100 of these pins.

:arrow: Mon 21Mar2005 - Edited this post for the benefit of other SPCR forum threads. Comments on JMC PWM Fans vs. the Silverstone ones: the Silverstone fans are good, no doubt, but they are not PWM fans, which is required for the aux rear fan on the D925XECV2 MOBO.

I opted for AUTOMATIC control, which the Silverstone SST-FP52-B Thermal Controller does (for the front TJ06 80mm fan and for a little ducted mini fan I put in my case to blow some air onto my low-end video board heat sink). Auto fan control is great, both by the Intel MOBO and the Silverstone FP52 - set it and forget it!

All 3 JMC 120mm PWM fans I ordered were wired correctly to the pins before I spliced it to make the leads long enough.

Skyline Graphics is the supplier for JMC fans: "Charles Boyd" <[email protected]>

Any other comments on PWM fans and cooling would be most appreciated. . .

PowerLlama

Post by PowerLlama » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:57 am

Hi guys, First time poster.

I've read most of this thread and kinda wish I would've looked into this case a bit more before buying it.

I bought this after reading a lot of good reviews, along with an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Little did I know that the motherboard's socket placement would be a problem.

It wasn't much of a problem, but I had to bend the plastic around my HSF (stock) to get the windtunnel to fit on there.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a good HSF combo, or just a good HS that I might be able to use with the windtunnel still on.

Any suggestions?

Tim Connor

Post by Tim Connor » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:04 pm

PowerLlama wrote:Hi guys, First time poster.

It wasn't much of a problem, but I had to bend the plastic around my HSF (stock) to get the windtunnel to fit on there.

(image deleted)

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a good HSF combo, or just a good HS that I might be able to use with the windtunnel still on.

Any suggestions?
Given the depth of the tunnel or how much it stands proud of the MB I don't know of any HS that is likely to fit. If it was mine I'd take the tunnel out and wedge it out so that it bulges to clear your HS and hit with heat gun or a very briefly with a torch in a quick long arcs to try to bow the plastic out. I think replacements are available for around $20.00 US or so...

Good luck!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:25 pm

Actually, nothing says you have to use the provided plastic duct/tunnel. I tried making one out of a sheet of 3/8" thick closed cell foam. This has the added advantage of adbsorbing / containing some of the noise more effectively than plastic. Lots you can do with this or similar materials, given the straight-line positioning of the front and back panel vents/fans.

JoeT

Post by JoeT » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Hmm...

Another lurker here with a query.

Anyone now of any drive covers that match the finish on the face of this case? (Lian Li ones? Others?)

I'm looking to buy a new system and I can't stand ugly cases. This one looks nice except for the lack of stealth cover for the cd/dvd drives. (Could only find one picture of someone who had all of their componants already in and it looked terrible.)

FlameofWrath

Post by FlameofWrath » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:03 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is enough room
in the front of the case to mount an additional
80mm fan next to the existing fan?

I'm kind of worried about cooling since I
don't have AC

Regards,
Roger

Olav the Viking

Post by Olav the Viking » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:14 am

FlameofWrath wrote:Can anyone tell me if there is enough room
in the front of the case to mount an additional
80mm fan next to the existing fan?

I'm kind of worried about cooling since I
don't have AC

Regards,
Roger
I don't think you would be able to mount another 80mm fan in the front unless you were to utilize 2 of the 5-1/4" front panel openings with a special mounting plate. See my post above (19-21Mar2005). I have not had any cooling problems at all with the hot-running LGA775 P4-560J with the standard Intel CPU cooler since I changed out the stock Silverstone REAR fan with the JMC PWM 120mm fan. I plan on changing out the stock Silverstone FRONT fan with the JMC PWM 120mm fan as I did with the rear one when priorities permit merely to give myself an extra safety margin when things start to heat up in the summer. I did modify the original front 80mm case fan mounting plastic by cutting away the obstructing plastic as suggested by this article: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article203-page4.html.

I'm very pleased with the Temjin-6 and believe that it is an excellant start for a custom system - I would do it all over again. I might make the suggestion that you start with this case, do the 80mm fan housing mod the article suggests, monitor your temps, and do the FRONT/REAR 120mm PWM fan upgrades as required by what your mobo/processor combination demands.

Important engineering rule: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Regards,
Olav the Viking

FlameofWrath

Post by FlameofWrath » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice. I haven't put together
a system for several years. Hope it comes
with a math co-processor :D

Roger

Chinja

Post by Chinja » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:07 pm

Hey Guys,
Love all the great info you all share with each other. I've been trying to quiet up my Vacuum Cleaner loud computer for while now, and I've finally found a good resource to turn to.

Anyway I've been looking into the Temjin case and found this article up at Tom's Hardware (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050411/index.html) . Didn't see anyone post this info up yet so hopefully it's not a repeat. But they basicly did a mid tower case roundup and I was surprised to discover three of the cases are Temjin clones by different companies with different face plates. Exact same chassis, just different aesthetics....May be worthwhile to look into these as alternatives if your not a fan of the Temjin's front bezel.
I personnally love the look of the Enermax version.

Chinja
(Also a Chin but no relation to the venerable Mike)

BenW

Post by BenW » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:41 am

I think silverstone sell the CPU cooler you all want!

Designed for the TJ-06 http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-nt01v2.0.htm

FlameofWrath

Post by FlameofWrath » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:06 pm

That seems like an o.k. heat sink but why didn't they
make it so it would work on motherboards with
sockets that are rotated 90 degrees?

It seems to me that the Arctic Cooler Freezer 64
(possibly without the fan) or the DP-102 (without
fans) would work and it wouldn't matter which
way the CPU socket was oriented on the
motherboard.

Maybe it doesn't need a special heatsink. Maybe
a stock heatsink would work o.k. Seems like one
without a fan would be better, tho.

Regards,
Roger

Quasi Ike

Post by Quasi Ike » Sat May 07, 2005 6:02 am

Hello, first time poster

i also have the tj06 but with a dfi board - sli dr
and i can't even bend the windtunnel to fit it :(
but i must say i have still the stock amd cooler and even without the windtunnel i have cpu temps of 24° doing normal things and peak of 30° when doing heavier stuff :)
another thing was the hdd cooling i wanted a psu with a 12cm fan yet i preferred the silverstone ST52F wich has 2*8cm fans,
i have 6hdds in it and i wanted better temps on them so i read this post bout how to do cheap hdd cooling it was on /. who did it with half brackets or how it is called
i bought 4 of them and my girlfriend made a really nice hanging fan of those brackets a 12cm fan and al stuff you normally have lying.
all my hdds are now under 35° and the most 27-30 so thats a nice improvement :)
i can make some pics but havn't got a direct link to it so if anyone can fix that :) i can post them then :)
sorry for my bad english :)

Olav the Viking

Post by Olav the Viking » Sun May 08, 2005 8:55 am

Quasi Ike wrote:Hello, first time poster

i also have the tj06 but with a dfi board - sli dr
and i can't even bend the windtunnel to fit it :(
but i must say i have still the stock amd cooler and even without the windtunnel i have cpu temps of 24° doing normal things and peak of 30° when doing heavier stuff :)
another thing was the hdd cooling i wanted a psu with a 12cm fan yet i preferred the silverstone ST52F wich has 2*8cm fans,
i have 6hdds in it and i wanted better temps on them so i read this post bout how to do cheap hdd cooling it was on /. who did it with half brackets or how it is called
i bought 4 of them and my girlfriend made a really nice hanging fan of those brackets a 12cm fan and al stuff you normally have lying.
all my hdds are now under 35° and the most 27-30 so thats a nice improvement :)
i can make some pics but havn't got a direct link to it so if anyone can fix that :) i can post them then :)
sorry for my bad english :)
I noticed that you have the ST52F power supply. Can you tell me if you have ever noticed any change in the PS fan RPMs? Do you have any RPM vs. temperature data from your system?

I thought that the fans in this PS were supposed to be temperature dependent (according to Silverstone's manual). I am using the Intel MOBO/Desktop Utilities to monitor the RPM of the fan in the power supply (using the ST52F fan monitor connector), and it never seems to change from ~2200RPM, even when starting cold. This makes the PS fan the dominant noise source in my system under normal, low load conditions. The PS is still under warranty, and I bought a spare when I built my system, so swapping it out and returning the one for replacement is a simple option.

Quasi Ike

Post by Quasi Ike » Sun May 08, 2005 11:27 am

well i havn't really annoyed me in my psu, its more my xfx vga cooler that annoyes me.
mmm with speedfan i only see 3 fan rpm's so i'll have to check wich one is wich
hdd temps 27-29-30° and i think 1875rpm - psu

Joost E. Boere

Post by Joost E. Boere » Thu May 12, 2005 3:44 am

Some might be intrested in my quest for dividing this case in three seperate temperature sections. Ofcourse this can be applied to any case which uses the Avance chassis.

My inspiration: Apple's server
Starting point: the original design
The road to succes: click (in dutch, with pictures)
The resulting design: a rather easy to accomplish design
Building it: work in progress

Quasi Ike

Post by Quasi Ike » Thu May 12, 2005 4:26 am

Hi,

Looks nice :)
my problem is the tunnel doesnt fit my dfi board at the socket,
also the karajan audio module gave me some problems cuz the back fan is in the way of it so that is not as stable as i would want it to be :)
that hddfan thingie is pretty cool i had something similar in mind but then only with the back cut out off but havn't got a dremel or something similar yet so,
but my gf made this hanging fan and i must say i like it alot :)
anyway nice project :)
btw is it possible to get the hdd's abit quieter without moving them in to the 5.25bays?

PowerLlama

Post by PowerLlama » Sun May 29, 2005 1:23 am

Tim Connor wrote:
PowerLlama wrote:Hi guys, First time poster.

(image deleted)

Any suggestions?
Given the depth of the tunnel or how much it stands proud of the MB I don't know of any HS that is likely to fit. If it was mine I'd take the tunnel out and wedge it out so that it bulges to clear your HS and hit with heat gun or a very briefly with a torch in a quick long arcs to try to bow the plastic out. I think replacements are available for around $20.00 US or so...

Good luck!
Well I was thinking I might be able to put the SilverStone one in there because it leans to one side... so if I put it on there backwards, it would lean into the windtunnel instead of away from it.

The Silverstone HS

Hmmm :?

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun May 29, 2005 5:05 am

I've called Sundial for silverstone parts in the past and they have had them but just not on their web site. - FG

PowerLlama

Post by PowerLlama » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:03 am

Well I just figured out that if I used the silverstone NT01 v.2 heatsink, it wouldn't orient properly with my motherboard... guess I can chuck that idea out the window.

wisefool
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by wisefool » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:22 pm

Seasonic S12-430 + Tenjin case.

The case is fun to put together - being able to remove both sides of the case is a real treat.

I'd like to offer a small warning for prospective shoppers. My MSI K8n Neo2 has the JPW1 connector (the square one) on the bottom, back side (Back being the side closest to PCI slots).

This means my seasonic's JPW1 cabe does not reach.

EDIT: I had a converter from 4 pinstandard molex to a 4 pin square connector. However the black and yellow cables are reversed (ground + 12 volts!) so it won't work. WIll see if I can get an adaptor somewhere.

EDIT: Converter is available from Mwave at
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/Skusearch.hm ... ia=BA21122

MSI K8N Neo2 (S939, AGP) fits perfectly with a Thermalright XP90. The fins are even oriented well.

The only problem is the northbridge is very close to AGP slot, so the replacement zalman has to be mangled up to fit wth an artic silencer.

I'm considering hacking up another windtunnel that blows air away from both video card and chipset, but the 6800GT in there may be too hot.