Arctic Cooling 4 Ultra TC HSF

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:28 am

Nice, AC is still making quality CPU coolers. :) Their Copper Silent 2 TC was terrific with my Athlon XP 1700+, and it was only $10. I just wish their TC1 case fans were as good as the fans they put on their HSF's (unfortunately, the TC1's screech at low speeds). Thanks for the review, Devon and Mike! It's also a nice surprise to see an AV store catering to the quiet computing market and sponsoring products.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 am

I gree it is nice -- but it shouldn't be a surpriise that an AV store is into quiet PCs. They're trying to sell machines that go into your living room, they sure as h*** better be quiet!!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:59 am

You know, it's good to know that everyone in the chain has been honest with their numbers. Arctic Cooling openly mentioned that their thermal resistance was slightly worse than the stock cooling. And accordingly, they (or HD A/V) have been as honest as possible with their noise numbers.

Bravo to Arctic Cooling for a breath of fresh air in terms of marketing truth.

Now what puzzles me is the fact that your sample supplier was from Australia. That's a long way to send a sample. Is Mr. Cooke from there or did HD A/V really want their name in the review?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:16 am

sthayashi wrote:Now what puzzles me is the fact that your sample supplier was from Australia. That's a long way to send a sample. Is Mr. Cooke from there or did HD A/V really want their name in the review?
Mr. Cooke???

HD A/V submitted the samples, so they get the credit for having done that. It goes to show the reach SPCR has these days. They were sure enough of our influence on Aussie quiet PC buyers to take the trouble.

Bitter Jitter

Post by Bitter Jitter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 am

'Quiet cooling on a budget'
This heatsink certainly fits that description!
Maybe that would be a handy section to have in the recommended list?

Is there a review for the Freezer 64 in the pipes?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:31 am

MikeC wrote:
sthayashi wrote:Now what puzzles me is the fact that your sample supplier was from Australia. That's a long way to send a sample. Is Mr. Cooke from there or did HD A/V really want their name in the review?
Mr. Cooke???
In the byline, someone wrote:January 12, 2005 by Devon Cooke with Mike Chin
I can't say I'm on a first name basis with this author (whom I presume to be one of the lab assistants), so I figured I should call him Mister.

Still, I'm impressed that a North American-based site has influence in Australia.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:05 am

MAN look at that thermistor! It's JAMMED in between two fins, and in fact BENDING one of them!!! You'd think they'd develop one that would fit in a nice spot, like more towards the center, and slimmer so that it wouldn't obstruct the heatsink. Might also produce better cooling results, no?

All in all, interesting that it's very quiet. Not really "Arctic" cooling, but still, quiet cooling ^.^

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:23 am

SometimesWarrior wrote: I just wish their TC1 case fans were as good as the fans they put on their HSF's (unfortunately, the TC1's screech at low speeds).
Arctic cooling is improving their fans slowly but surely. The TC-1 I used is pretty shite (mechanical noise but no screeching), the Pro 2TL (which is the 2nd rev) is a fair bit better with very little noise at 1600 rpm and a good amount of airflow (they claim 19 cfm but its a tad lower I think). There is a 3rd rev of the fan that I havent tried that is a 5 blade design rather than 7.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:34 am

Nice review! It highlights something I've been thinking about.

Can you do a review of a stock AMD cooler and a stock Intel cooler?

I know they will not compete with any of the other coolers on your site, but they will put into perspective the accomplishments of the other manufacturers and convince a number of the new posters in the forums about the importance of not using the stock cooler.

If you don't have one laying around, I could send you a case or two of them ;)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:43 am

ddrueding1 wrote:Nice review! It highlights something I've been thinking about.

Can you do a review of a stock AMD cooler and a stock Intel cooler?

I know they will not compete with any of the other coolers on your site, but they will put into perspective the accomplishments of the other manufacturers and convince a number of the new posters in the forums about the importance of not using the stock cooler.

If you don't have one laying around, I could send you a case or two of them ;)
It's been done of 2 Intel coolers -- just check through the cooling section. I think the 1st review ever, a roundup, and also a more recent one of the copper-based one that started coming with >3GHz models.

No AMD stock coolers on hand. I'd be interested in both XP and A64 variants if you have any.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:46 am

I don't have my old 1900+ Athlon XP cooler anymore, it was NOISY!

*sigh*

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:16 am

sthayashi wrote:I can't say I'm on a first name basis with this author (whom I presume to be one of the lab assistants), so I figured I should call him Mister.

Still, I'm impressed that a North American-based site has influence in Australia.
Yes, SPCR's reach is pretty global these days. You'd be surprised how many European language sites link to SPCR! And Russian & Asian...

As for Mr. Devon Cooke, he's 100% Canadian, Vancouver born & bred, and been working with me for several weeks now. He was introduced in the OCZ ModStream OCZ-520 12U Power Supply review, of which he was the primary writer:

Devon Cooke is a new Vancouver-area editorial volunteer. A fourth-year philosophy major at the University of British Columbia and and a regular reader of the site for more than two years, Devon spends his spare time making short films and poking around in the SPCR forums under the handle Devonavar. This is his first review.

It should be evident that he's a good writer, and although not as technically savvy as he could be, he's a quick study and does thorough research, which make for excellent results. :)

iambk

Post by iambk » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:Nice, AC is still making quality CPU coolers. :) Their Copper Silent 2 TC was terrific with my Athlon XP 1700+, and it was only $10. I just wish their TC1 case fans were as good as the fans they put on their HSF's (unfortunately, the TC1's screech at low speeds). Thanks for the review, Devon and Mike! It's also a nice surprise to see an AV store catering to the quiet computing market and sponsoring products.
Speaking of the AC Copper Silent 2 TC, I saw here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html

That is costs $15 and here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article115-page1.html

It says that the MSRP is $20.

I thought 'great', a fairly quiet fan for my old AthlonXP 1700+ and 1800+.

But I can't find it on pricewatch. I did find it here:

http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetail ... =950011462

But it costs $29.99 there.

I just want a decently quiet heatsink/fan for my AthlonXP's that is cheap. $15 is great. Can anyone help? Thanks!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:32 am

FrontierPC's price is in Canadian $. Everything is often a bit more $ here...

I think there's a list of retailers at the Arctic Cooling site. I know that SVC and Scythe-USA sell them.

iambk

Post by iambk » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:50 am

Thanks, especially for the quick reply. I took your advice. NewEgg has it for $15.49. $4.99 shipping. The only thing that is rotten is that if I want two, I must pay double the shipping cost. That's kind of dumb on NewEgg's part if you ask me. Oh well. This will have to do I guess.

Thanks again.

Update: Actually, I ended up getting 2 at jab-tech.com. Only $12.99 each and shipping was less then $5 for both of 'em. Finally, the ridiculous noise of my current CPU can soon stop!

jensend

Post by jensend » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:19 pm

Great to see this reviewed! I had suspected (http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?p=137695) that this cooler would be worth a good hard look. I also contacted Arctic Cooling (around Thanksgiving) regarding North American availability, and they said they were trying to have the SS4 and S64 Ultra TC available in North America in January.

JanW

Post by JanW » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:31 pm

MikeC wrote: No AMD stock coolers on hand. I'd be interested in both XP and A64 variants if you have any.
I assume they need to be new, that is, never mounted with the pad intact, so they are really "stock"? If it's fine if the pad is gone, I could help out with two XP stock coolers (one that came with a 2500+, another with a 3200+ --- they are not identical). Just let me know.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:00 pm

iambk wrote:
SometimesWarrior wrote:Nice, AC is still making quality CPU coolers. :) Their Copper Silent 2 TC was terrific with my Athlon XP 1700+, and it was only $10.
I just want a decently quiet heatsink/fan for my AthlonXP's that is cheap. $15 is great. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Argh, I'm a nitwit. It was the Copper Silent TC (not the 2 TC) I got for $10 at SVC. So many AC coolers to remember! Well, at least we know they're basically all good. SPCR has reviewed at least four of them by now. :)

The Copper Silent TC would idle at about 800RPM on my T-bred XP1700+, and go to about 1450RPM with Prime95. That's in an Evercase ECE4252 whose only case fan is in the Fortron FSP-300PN power supply, also very quiet. Basically, the whole system was built from SPCR recommendations, so it's very quiet and very cheap. That's when I upgraded my donation status here. ;)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:04 pm

JanW wrote:
MikeC wrote: No AMD stock coolers on hand. I'd be interested in both XP and A64 variants if you have any.
I assume they need to be new, that is, never mounted with the pad intact, so they are really "stock"? If it's fine if the pad is gone, I could help out with two XP stock coolers (one that came with a 2500+, another with a 3200+ --- they are not identical). Just let me know.
It's a long way from France to Vancouver BC Canada... the shipping cost could be nasty! :lol:

If you really want to, the address is in the About Us link above. This: http://www.silentpcreview.com/about_us.php

On other other hand, maybe someone else closer to us would be willing to do this?

evalachovic

Post by evalachovic » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:31 pm

I think it would be handy to see a summary of a stock cpu cooler in every review or round-up of coolers. It would be nice to know that it really is worth the effort and without that reference most of us won't know how much quieter and/or cooler our cpu's could be.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:54 pm

evalachovic wrote:I think it would be handy to see a summary of a stock cpu cooler in every review or round-up of coolers. It would be nice to know that it really is worth the effort and without that reference most of us won't know how much quieter and/or cooler our cpu's could be.
Can do. It won't be pretty! :lol: :lol: :lol:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:13 pm

Nice review.

I have asked before, and I will ask again.

Please review the:

Silencer 64 Ultra TC.

Regards Andy

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:32 pm

MikeC wrote: On other other hand, maybe someone else closer to us would be willing to do this?
I've got the hs and fan from a 2100XP (or possibly a 2000, can't remember) minus the screws that hold the fan onto the shroud. I'd imagine the postage would be pretty low. Good chance it's not the same as either of the ones JanW has, though.

kogi

Post by kogi » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:36 pm

I'm not 100% sure but I think kingcow is "HD Audio Visual, Australia". (due to the spam here and on ocau australia)

Could we please get a straight answer off him and wack a vendor tag on him please.

kogi

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:43 pm

kogi, the question has been posed to kindcow.

Kingcow

Post by Kingcow » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:11 pm

Please review the:

Silencer 64 Ultra TC.
I found one from - http://www.extensivemods.com/modules.ph ... =28&page=4 .
question has been posed to kindcow.
My relationship with HD xxx is only "customer and friend", as my friends and I bought most HTPC parts from them!
Please let me know if I voild any rule of your website!

:( :(

Kingcow

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Reason for thermistor position

Post by Devonavar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:38 pm

acaurora wrote:MAN look at that thermistor! It's JAMMED in between two fins, and in fact BENDING one of them!!! You'd think they'd develop one that would fit in a nice spot, like more towards the center, and slimmer so that it wouldn't obstruct the heatsink. Might also produce better cooling results, no?

All in all, interesting that it's very quiet. Not really "Arctic" cooling, but still, quiet cooling ^.^
Yes, it might produce better cooling results ... but at a price in noise. If you really wanted to, moving the thermistor would be an easy mod though. Personally, I think a better idea would be to duct some cool air in and let it be drawn across the heatsink by the exhaust fan in your case.

Keep in mind that an open bench review system is done in still air; having airflow in a case changes things a bit.

Devon
Last edited by Devonavar on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Devonavar » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:42 pm

Gorsnak wrote:
MikeC wrote: On other other hand, maybe someone else closer to us would be willing to do this?
I've got the hs and fan from a 2100XP (or possibly a 2000, can't remember) minus the screws that hold the fan onto the shroud. I'd imagine the postage would be pretty low. Good chance it's not the same as either of the ones JanW has, though.
Hmm ... I didn't realize people were looking for stock AMD heatsinks. I have an old 60mm stock howler from my 1700+ Palomino, and a recent stock heatsink from an A64 3000+. I'll bring them into the lab next time I meet with Mike. Hopefully, this should be what we need.

Devon

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:14 am

Let me know which ones you don't have and I'll ship them up.