Antec P150 mid-tower case w/ Neo HE 430 PSU

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
hravn

Post by hravn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:16 am

Ackelind wrote:hravn, where did you get one? Itbutikken.dk or some place else?
Actually it was at Mycom.

They don't seem to have in stock at the moment, but thats something that could change pretty fast I think. The day I bought it, I checked their stock when I came to work, and they didn't have it. Just to make sure, I checked it again before I left, and then they did! So I swung by and picked one up.

I get the PCB (big distributor) newsletter, and yesterday they announced that the Neopower HE and the P150 is now available from them, so I guess alot of stores should get them now.

First impressions: It's a bit cramped to work in, had to remove the exhaust fan (which I hade already replaced with a nexus) to get my Ninja in, and when I was going to put the nexus back, I dropped one of the fan screws into the PSU!! (Ok, so that was me being clumsy) So I had to remove everything again (to get at the PSU) and shake the Neopower a bit (hope that isn't dangerous) to get the screw out again. ;)

Hellspawn

Hey Antec Rep

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am

It would be really nice for the early adopters (that bought the p150 even though they really wanted black), for Antec to offer to sell replacement bezels and panels (in black or whatever silver/black combo) at a decent cost through the company website.

I see you already sell replacement panels and such, but just wanted to throw the idea in. An option with a window might be nice too, but I'm not too sure about how cost-prohibitive that would be for the number sold. Would be nice to have that option as well.

thanks for reading!

fabriknos

Post by fabriknos » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:59 am

yes but with a translucent side panel you will sacrifice the absorption material, which is a big part of the P150 design.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:06 am

True, but I was thinking more along the lines of a thin window like a previous poster had mentioned, probably along the top or bottom.

Does anyone have a thought on the possibility (or not) of using a Phantom 350 or 500 PSU in this case?

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:49 pm

It looks like, once again, Techonweb is trying to shoot for the lowest price on the web: http://www.techonweb.com/products/produ ... ?id=C32481

mephisoft

Post by mephisoft » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:26 pm

It would be interesting to learn how the 150 compares to the 180 with a simple mod: ducting the PSU intake to the front - doing this may perhaps be easier than setting up a 180 properly. Would the PSU fan ramp up even then? If not, then for me the 150 would be a much-much better case. - Anyone willing to try out?

Cheers,

mephisto

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:41 am

mephisoft wrote:It would be interesting to learn how the 150 compares to the 180 with a simple mod: ducting the PSU intake to the front - doing this may perhaps be easier than setting up a 180 properly. Would the PSU fan ramp up even then? If not, then for me the 150 would be a much-much better case. - Anyone willing to try out?

Cheers,

mephisto
My P150 review system was initially setup without a duct, and the PSU fan would ramp up when running 2xCPUBurn for extended periods. After I decided to keep the case in my system, I swapped out the P4 3.0GHz CPU for a 3.4GHz P4 and built a duct for the PSU. Now, even with the hotter, more power hungry CPU, the PSU no longer ramps up under load.

Bungee

Post by Bungee » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:36 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:My P150 review system was initially setup without a duct, and the PSU fan would ramp up when running 2xCPUBurn for extended periods. After I decided to keep the case in my system, I swapped out the P4 3.0GHz CPU for a 3.4GHz P4 and built a duct for the PSU. Now, even with the hotter, more power hungry CPU, the PSU no longer ramps up under load.
Interesting. Do you have any pictures, because I have considered the same.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:45 am

Bungee wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:My P150 review system was initially setup without a duct, and the PSU fan would ramp up when running 2xCPUBurn for extended periods. After I decided to keep the case in my system, I swapped out the P4 3.0GHz CPU for a 3.4GHz P4 and built a duct for the PSU. Now, even with the hotter, more power hungry CPU, the PSU no longer ramps up under load.
Interesting. Do you have any pictures, because I have considered the same.
I made it from the gutted case of a 5.25" optical drive and some plastic sheeting from a 3-ring binder notebook. It's held together with epoxy and sealed with aluminum HVAC tape.

Using the optical drive case lets me easily mount the thing utilizing the standard Antec mounting brackets.

I wedged a couple of closed-cell foam baffles inside the duct to help with any air noise or cavity resonance.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:50 pm

Be sure that plastic ducting is FIREPROOF, Ralph :wink:

Got my P150 today. The front bezel side vents go right to the top, so more than with other cases, the PSU is able to pull fresh air through the small holes in the drive bay blanks, or remove a blank for more air.

Frederf

Post by Frederf » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm

I have my P150 for several days and I'd like to say my $0.02:

First off, it's not ugly. It has an elegant and purposeful look in person. The finish on mine is better than most cars. White isn't an ugly color, but I can understand people preferring the more sedate black or silver.

Paranoia about the suspension system is just that, paranoia. They aren't going to fail any more likely than the aluminum holding them up is likely to corrode away suddenly. Little sticky rubber corners for your HDDs might ease some people's worries about smacking around metal to metal when moving the case around.

The spring loaded thumbscrews are a nice touch as are the hooks for cables that are integrated into the rubberband mounts, you don't even need to take the mounts out to swap hook/nonhook.

Being able to mount the optical drive flush or behind the spring loaded doorblank is a nice touch, the drive rails have two different hole sets.

Complains/Suggestions:

The PSU simply DOES NOT WORK with the Asus A8N-SLi motherboards. It's not clear who's at fault, but as you might have guessed this little fact kinda spoiled my P150 experience. The PSU is lovely otherwise, quiet, modular cables, the works.

Not enough 5.25" blanks for the front. I only have 1 optical drive and plan to put nothing in the other 3 slots, would've been nice and cheap for Antec to supply more blanks. I have one plainblank, would like three total. I'm going to try to order 3-5 of them, hopefully I can use a spare to mod in an internal IR reciever behind one with a hole (yay MCE).

LEDs: Sigh, blue again? And sooo bright. Color tunable and maybe dimmable would be excellent. People buying a silent computer case maybe aware that blue leds were the last color achieved (hence their 'cool new' aspect), but probably don't care enough that such grating blue light sear their retinas and keep them up at night. Also the LEDs shine through the sides of the front bezel air vents. Couldn't design in a simple light blocker? Projecting blue ovals on the wall beside my case doesn't really scream quality.

No speaker on the case? It's in the manual but on the actual product?

BUTTTTTTT:

Despite the little nitpicks mentioned above, this case is wonderful. It's full of convient intelligent and attractive design elements. Overall, there is no case better than this one in its class/market.

Vidmar

Incompatibility Issues

Post by Vidmar » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:54 pm

FYI: I and others that have purchased this power supply, or an Antec P150 which includes the NeoHE 430 are running into severe problems with this power supply and some ASUS motherboards. The machine will boot but then shutdown after 5-10 secs due to power issues.

DO NOT purchase this power supply or an Antec P150 if you are using an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard.

I ended up buying an Antec TruePower 2.0 430W power supply for my A8N-SLI Premium which works just fine.

Look at NewEgg for examples of others who have had problems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129166

Hellspawn

Re: Incompatibility Issues

Post by Hellspawn » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:38 pm

Vidmar wrote:FYI: I and others that have purchased this power supply, or an Antec P150 which includes the NeoHE 430 are running into severe problems with this power supply and some ASUS motherboards. The machine will boot but then shutdown after 5-10 secs due to power issues.

DO NOT purchase this power supply or an Antec P150 if you are using an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard.

I ended up buying an Antec TruePower 2.0 430W power supply for my A8N-SLI Premium which works just fine.

Look at NewEgg for examples of others who have had problems:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129166
or the Asus P5GDC or P5LD2, it won't boot those either.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:11 am

Sooty wrote:Be sure that plastic ducting is FIREPROOF, Ralph :wink:
Huh? Why?

I don't light any fires inside my PC cases, and even if the duct was fireproof, the plastic covering on the wires, the plastic fans and the motherboard itself are all combustible.

markanini

Post by markanini » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:01 am

Any news on a black P150?

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:29 pm

AntecRep wrote:As always don't tell me, I wanted it in black. Go to:
http://www.antec.com/us/info_suggestionForm.php

and put your input there. The higher ups do read it.
I also voted for black and w/o a PSU-version. :)

BR!

markanini

Post by markanini » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:12 pm

I also left a message in their message box. I stressed how probably more people would prefer the elegant, unobtrusive and professional look of a black case over the "trendy iPod look". ;)

jkolgen

Post by jkolgen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:08 pm

I've read in the review and in messages that the p150 is a bit cramped around the CPU heatsink area. In the review a Thermaltake XP-120 was used, i've read that Scythe Ninja has been used. Can anyone tell me if the Zalman CNPS7700 would fit?

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:10 pm

jkolgen wrote:I've read in the review and in messages that the p150 is a bit cramped around the CPU heatsink area. In the review a Thermaltake XP-120 was used, i've read that Scythe Ninja has been used. Can anyone tell me if the Zalman CNPS7700 would fit?
Depends on the mobo you use, if the cpu socket is very high on the mobo chances are that the HS will overlap the mobo and hit the PSU.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:26 am

Greetings,
markanini wrote:Any news on a black P150?
It seems as though there are three sizes of black cases, that are similar to the P150 coming soon from Antec -- though the HD suspension system may not be included! :(

Look at the thread I started called "Antec CES..." in the Off Topic section.

Charles

Post by Charles » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:49 pm

That is not very good news...

One of the main reasons for me to get a p150 was the HDD mounting... :x

BR!

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:50 pm

Charles wrote:One of the main reasons for me to get a p150 was the HDD mounting... :x
Yep, me too.

Charles

Post by Charles » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:34 am

Hello!

Any news on the w/o PSU-type Antec P150? :?

BR!

qviri

Post by qviri » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 am

Not so far. A shame.

aidanjm2004

Post by aidanjm2004 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:54 am

Is the Scythe Ninja a somewhat uncomfortable fit in this case? I noticed someone mentioning they had to remove their exhaust fan to jiggle the Ninja into position. Anyone else used a Ninja + P150..?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:13 am

aidanjm2004 wrote:Is the Scythe Ninja a somewhat uncomfortable fit in this case? I noticed someone mentioning they had to remove their exhaust fan to jiggle the Ninja into position. Anyone else used a Ninja + P150..?
Going by these pics, it looks like there's lots of clearance. Here's another one, with even more room.

I would highly advise installing the Ninja while the board is still out of the case. Also, depending on what type of rear fan mounting method you're considering, you could always mount the fan after the mobo/HSF have been installed.

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:37 pm

Hi!

If I should buy w a PSU this case (because N/A w/o PSU yet...) is the Antec Neo HE worth keeping?

I have a 3 months old Tagan Easycon 480W PSU, and I am not really want to sell it...

How much can you get for the Antec PSU?

Thanks!

BR!

Hillie

Post by Hillie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:23 am

Just put together my machine with the P150 a couple of days ago. Great case, nice features and so on, but what a worthless piece of junk power supply do they provide! Mine's non-functional on an Asus A7N8X-X (older Socket A board) and my experience with their support has been so-so so far. Just ordered a Nexus 4090, and I guess I'll put this supply in another machine.

Great case though, I really like it and hope I can keep it for a long time.

shanizar

Post by shanizar » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:02 am

Is this a problem with just ASUS boards, or is it also a problem with the S939 ASRock mobo's?

Hillie

Post by Hillie » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:30 am

As far as I know it's an Asus-only problem. I got a Nexus 4090 and it worked straight away on my Asus A7N8X-X. Going to get rid of the silly Antec power supply. We're not talking rocket science, we're talking about a frigging power supply.

Besides that, the case is really nice. Got a Samsung SP2104 200GB disk in the rubber suspension and it works just fine. Nice and quiet HD setup, I like it a lot. Also have the advertised-as-19.2dB-Nexus Athlon XP cooler, but it's pretty loud. My CPU runs stressed at 42/43 degrees Celcius, so I'm going to experiment with lowering the voltage somewhat. We'll see how that goes.