Antec P150 mid-tower case w/ Neo HE 430 PSU

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
OmegaZero

Post by OmegaZero » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:20 pm

I am totally into the look of the case - just wish I could get it without the PSU.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:35 pm

to the Antec Rep:
im not sure if im alone in saying this, but ive personally been fed up with beige boxes over the years, and only recently have decent looking black/silver cases been hitting the market. i will personally not by another biege box, and im sure Antec would profit greatly out of having the P150 available in another colour. To a lot of people, asthetics is THE most important element of a case. Even more so than performance and functionality. So since the P150 looks like it is a high performer and very functional, it would be very welcome to back it up with the sleek black/silver colouring like the rest of the Antec range.

afrost

Post by afrost » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:11 pm

I think the white is kind of cool. It should turn out to be a really popular case......hopefully it does and that will convince Antec to make it in more colors.

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:47 am

MikeC wrote:
=assassin= wrote: The only thing I'm wondering about is the low amps on the 5V rail (14amps?) - is this enough for an average modern system?
It follows ATX12V v2.2 PSU design guidelines. Please read Power Distribution within Six PCs. From the article:
1) It seems to be highly unlikely that a modern system will ever overload either the +5V or +3.3V lines of a ATX12V 2.x compliant power supply. In our systems, neither of these lines ever drew more than 5A under any circumstance, and many power supplies rate them above 20A. The power draw on these lines tended to be quite stable and did not fluctuate much with load.
Thanks for that information.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:55 am

AntecRep wrote:As of right now no plans to offer the P150 without PSU. That may change depending on what our customers ask for of course. Same goes for black.

Damping material: is polycarbonate. At least that's what PD tells me.
Please - all black with black anodized aluminum front panel, no PSU.

Polycarbonate - has anyone had experience in using this as damping material? Any idea why it does work well (as described in the review)? I was looking at some Lexan sheet 2 days ago, and noted that it was not at al resonant, but it wasn't all that rigid or heavy.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:48 am

As always don't tell me, I wanted it in black. Go to:
http://www.antec.com/us/info_suggestionForm.php

and put your input there. The higher ups do read it.

fabriknos

Post by fabriknos » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 am

i think this case looks fantastic. i'll definitely be getting one down the road as the basis for a truly quiet system. i think this case has everything that most PC enthusiasts want right out of the box. a 3.5 drive tray w/ rubber grommets OR elastic suspension gives you some nice options, love the PSU, construction looks right on point. i think Antec definitely has a hit on its hands. along with the recent P180 this is a good step forward for case design.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:58 am

thanks. done.

please

Post by please » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:29 am

Nice job Antec! I think it's a great case and a nice alternative to the ultimate P180. I personally prefer the P150 to the P180 as I don't care for doors or extra-large case sizes. I like the shared floppy/standard sized drive door. I love the easily removeable front bezel with no wires attached for easy access to the filter. Concerning color, I don't love the white, but it is clean and sterile looking. Ralf's wife has got her finger on the pulse, white is the new black, but that may not have trickled down to the general public yet. It is better than the 'milk chocolate' color of my 3700AMB. I am sure when the case is successful, there will be other colors available. I also like the PSU supplied as it makes a great one-stop shop for a good price, [sarcasm]even if the NeoHE430 is only the second-best PSU available(to the champ seasonic)[/sarcasm]. I doubt the case would go for (MSPRCase+PSU)$180 minus(MSPRNeoHE430)$110=(CaseOnly?)$70 or even less when discounts are applied. I imagine it would be more, since it is better than any other case in its niche at twice the price. I do sympathize with people who already own their ideal PSU, tho.

As for constructive criticisms, I would have liked to see mountings for four suspended HDDs. That is my preferred configuration when building systems. 2 drives in RAID1 for OS/MusicLibrary/Programs/ImportantData, and 2 drives in RAID0 for VideoEditing/TIVO/ScratchPad/PageFile.

I would have also liked to see the PSU with fresh air ducting from the outside. It could be another Antec first! I think the PSU is going to ramp up too easily when used with a hot CPU/GPU as noted in the review.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:52 am

MikeC from P150 review wrote:...and the WD Raptor HDD could be heard only as a noice source during seek.
Mike, how do the seeks compare P150 (rubber susp.) vs. P180 (lower chamber)? To what extent can the seeks be heard outside the case?

Can someone possibly measure the internal height of the lower drive bay? Looks about 200mm. If the rubber suspension doesn’t eliminate seeks I'll use two Silentmaxx enclosures standing upright on Sorbathane. Or I might go with a P180 and mount the drives like Ralph.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:29 pm

AntecRep wrote:As always don't tell me, I wanted it in black. Go to:

I did as you suggested. Thanks for the link.

Krazy Kommando

Post by Krazy Kommando » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Thanx for that linky antec rep

SaSH

Post by SaSH » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:32 pm

I am looking forward to grabbing this case when it comes out.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:03 am

Why not a shot with front leds on?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:05 am

I like it, except for the fact that it's white. If you made one with brushed aluminum/black, I would buy a few. hundred. thousand. truckloads.

Aside from that, it's awesome.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:57 am

Firstly, yet another superb review by SPCR, and also of the PSU seperatley.

Agreeing with many other people, about having a Black, Silver, Beige, or Black/Silver version of this case would be a great idea.

I love the case, and also think that is the most perfect case on the market at the moment, but hate the colour scheme (NOT an iPod fan).

As people say "Variety is the Spice of Life", that colour is horrible to my eyes, I wont buy one unless it's Black or Beige, not least because it wont match the decore in my room.

I dont really care whether or not the case come with a PSU or not, especially as the PSU it ships with is about as good as you can get, and Antec always have massive discounts for Case+PSU.

Regards Andy

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:34 am

Sooty wrote:
Can someone possibly measure the internal height of the lower drive bay? Looks about 200mm.

225mm.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:36 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Sooty wrote:
Can someone possibly measure the internal height of the lower drive bay? Looks about 200mm.

225mm.
Thanks Ralph! :wink:

warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:35 am

Thanks, noted...and...done

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:22 pm

_MarcoM_ wrote:Why not a shot with front leds on?
Ok, i explain: switch on the P150, and make a photo to the front blue leds please :lol:

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:17 am

Over the weekend I've been re-reading the review and thinking over the case looks, and I'm starting to like it more and more. I've sent the suggestion email anyway, though.

One question that came to my mind was about the elastic rubber suspension system: - I'm worried that over time the rubber will degrade and that over a couple of years it could snap, and a drive fall down. Is there any risk of this or is it much stronger/durable over time than standard elastic rubber?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:37 am

=assassin= wrote:Over the weekend I've been re-reading the review and thinking over the case looks, and I'm starting to like it more and more. I've sent the suggestion email anyway, though.

One question that came to my mind was about the elastic rubber suspension system: - I'm worried that over time the rubber will degrade and that over a couple of years it could snap, and a drive fall down. Is there any risk of this or is it much stronger/durable over time than standard elastic rubber?
1) The No-vibes uses the same suspension technique and I've never heard of any of their bands failing during the 3+ years they've been around.

2) Remove the unused bands from the drive bay, store them in a cool, dry place. Every now-and-then, check the condition of the one in the case. Replace it if it's starting to look funky or lose it's elasticity.

3) Install one of the drive sleds a slot or two below the suspended drive, and put a piece of foam on top of the drive sled. That way if the suspension band(s) suddenly fail, the drive will only fall an inch or so onto a padded foam shelf.

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:05 am

It's been my impression that SPCR types change our PC cases more often than our underwear.. :lol: (except the underwear we got the elastic for our suspensions from) I doubt many of us will still be using the P150 in a couple of years. We'd be up the the P390 or something by then.. (and doesn't Antec just love us for it... )

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:01 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
=assassin= wrote:Over the weekend I've been re-reading the review and thinking over the case looks, and I'm starting to like it more and more. I've sent the suggestion email anyway, though.

1) The No-vibes uses the same suspension technique and I've never heard of any of their bands failing during the 3+ years they've been around.

2) Remove the unused bands from the drive bay, store them in a cool, dry place. Every now-and-then, check the condition of the one in the case. Replace it if it's starting to look funky or lose it's elasticity.

3) Install one of the drive sleds a slot or two below the suspended drive, and put a piece of foam on top of the drive sled. That way if the suspension band(s) suddenly fail, the drive will only fall an inch or so onto a padded foam shelf.
Thanks for your help - 3) seems a good way of providing a fail-safe system and as the front bezel is so easy to remove it should be easy to check too! I can't help getting paranoid about some things :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:32 am

AFAIK, the "rubber band" is an industrial O-ring, the kind that's used to seal "caps" (and other joins) in machinery. You'll find them in pumps, used as sealing gaskets.

This type of O-ring is quite durable and can withstand pretty extreme conditions. I think in this application, the biggest risk comes fromuser abuse -- stretching the things too many times to change drives too often or make adjustments, and possibly, rubbing against sharp edges on the drives themselves could start a cut (microscopic even) that might lead eventually to a break.

I've been using novibes for 4 years; none show any signs of real wear. (The o-rings used in the novibes are substantiall larger diameter, tho. )

Ditto the clothing elastic used in the original elastic suspension article going back over 3 years. The same elastic string is in use in my current PC, and it's still going strong. And this stuff is much weaker than O-rings.

gogos7
Patron of SPCR

Post by gogos7 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:51 am

Hello,
I vote also, for a no-PSU version.
I like it because I need a small (max. height 43,5cm.) elegant case.
I would like to ask “the stealthed drive bay covers” are permanent? Can I use the optical drives, directly and remove those plastic covers if I'd like?
Thank you

slacy

Availability?

Post by slacy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:16 pm

A rep from a local PC maker was kind enough to call antec and ask about availability of the P150, and supposedly antec said they're not shipping and there's no ETA.

Anybody have any better info about when and where I can get one of these?

Steve

=assassin=

Post by =assassin= » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:06 am

MikeC wrote:AFAIK, the "rubber band" is an industrial O-ring, the kind that's used to seal "caps" (and other joins) in machinery. You'll find them in pumps, used as sealing gaskets.

This type of O-ring is quite durable and can withstand pretty extreme conditions. I think in this application, the biggest risk comes fromuser abuse -- stretching the things too many times to change drives too often or make adjustments, and possibly, rubbing against sharp edges on the drives themselves could start a cut (microscopic even) that might lead eventually to a break.

I've been using novibes for 4 years; none show any signs of real wear. (The o-rings used in the novibes are substantiall larger diameter, tho. )

Ditto the clothing elastic used in the original elastic suspension article going back over 3 years. The same elastic string is in use in my current PC, and it's still going strong. And this stuff is much weaker than O-rings.
Thanks for that information, it puts my mind further at ease.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:08 am

gogos7 wrote: I would like to ask “the stealthed drive bay covers” are permanent? Can I use the optical drives, directly and remove those plastic covers if I'd like?
Thank you
Nope, they're standard 5.25" drive bay covers that can be popped right off so that you can use any sort of 5.25" drive with it's own faceplate showing.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Re: Availability?

Post by AntecRep » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:17 am

slacy wrote:A rep from a local PC maker was kind enough to call antec and ask about availability of the P150, and supposedly antec said they're not shipping and there's no ETA.

Anybody have any better info about when and where I can get one of these?

Steve
Depending on the day/time of the call that could have been true. I expect them to be shipping by the end of the week, assuming the final quality check goes well of course.