Squeezebox 3 Digital Music Box

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm

WEP disabled, meaning no security on your WAP?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:54 pm

Correct; meaning if I turn off the encryption on the wireless access point feature of my router, the Squeezebox fails to connect. If I turn on WEP and set up my own key, then configure the Squeezebox with the same level of WEP encryption and enter the key I assigned, it hooks right up.

-Ed

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Post by ultrachrome » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:18 pm

WPA support was one of the biggest selling points for me.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 am

Two years after I became addicted to the sample Squeezebox3 reviewed here, Edward Ng generously shipped over an old MSB Link DAC III outboard D/A processor he said had seen no use for several years; I might as well get some benefit from it.

Thank you Ed.

At first, the change the Link DAC III made seemed trivial. Yes, the music generally seemed a bit less congested... was there more?

It took several days for the differences to sink in fully, and today I can say without a doubt that the improvement in my system, which seemed subtle intially, is almost a revelation. Instruments stand out more prominently against a "quieter" background, definition of all the voices in complex passages remain more individuated, the attack and transparency of high frequency sounds such as brushed cymbals is improved, and the depth and weight of low bass instruments is marked. In short, the music is coming across much more realistically than before.

It makes me ask.... If this 7 year old "high value" (according to Stereophile) DAC sounds this good with the Squeezebox3, how much better does it get with a more uptodate DAC like the Benchmark DAC1? I may just have to find out.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:05 pm

I don't mind lending you mine if you cannot find another place for it, or don't wish to purchase one for yourself. With my busy work and *ahrm* play schedules, I don't use my Benchmark as much as it deserves to be, anyway...

Just let me know.

-Ed