Thermaltake V1: "Peacock Tail" Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
MikeC
Site Admin

Thermaltake V1: "Peacock Tail" Cooler

Post by MikeC » Fri May 16, 2008 1:38 pm

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri May 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Another TT product with predictably average cooling ability and unacceptably loud noise.
Compared to the TRUE and Ninja, does this fit in most cases, or does it get in the way of the PSU? I would think that since it expands at the top that it would end up being more of a problem.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri May 16, 2008 8:16 pm

Hello,

The MP3 recording for the V1 is broken:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/sou ... ake-v1.mp3

[Edit: It has been fixed!]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sat May 17, 2008 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

hophophop
Friend of SPCR

Post by hophophop » Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 pm

You should have tried it without a fan imo. According to silenthardware.de, it's very efficient in passive mode, much better than the ninja mini for example.

About the cantilever effect, I wonder why no one use some springs, going from the heatsink to the case frame, to relieve some of the weight, if you see what I mean. It may even improve temperatures. I have not tried it since I haven't got a tower cooler but plan to do it in the future.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Fri May 16, 2008 10:05 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat May 17, 2008 12:10 am

nightmorph wrote:Still, if it was possible to mod it with a better, softmounted fan . . . I wonder if it'd do any better?
Of course it would, but why bother, when you can get better performance cheaper and without any modding.
The concept sure looks intriguing. Is Zalman the only other company to attempt a CPU heatsink design like this?
There are many others. Try googling for Cooler Master Sphere. It's also much bigger failure then V1.
hophophop wrote:You should have tried it without a fan imo. According to silenthardware.de, it's very efficient in passive mode, much better than the ninja mini for example.
Would have been interesting.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 am

I think this may be the most original looking TT product ive ever seen. Though the resemblance to the zalman flower heatsink is strong, and the fact that a lot of zalman heatsinks use a frameless fan incorperated into the heatsink.

You know i wouldnt be suprised if zalman either has a heatsink that looks identicle to this that they either 1. havnt finished yet, or 2. decided to junk because its performance/cost didnt fall well into their other heatsink linups. And TT took it. It wouldnt be the first time.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 am

I have V1 and quite happy with it. Its excellent, except for the fan itself. It rattles as is common wit TT.
But on 300-500 rpm it cools almost as well as with 1000 rpm. And looks killer too!

colm

Post by colm » Sun May 18, 2008 6:37 pm

I could not for the life of me figure out how spcr was getting these insanely low temps...until I saw it was mounted at style.

Are they (thermaltake) ever going to make old school discipline again, with the thin fins all on the BASE then going perpendicular? they can go back to thier ways of no concerns for fan, as with the xp 90 type by thermalright, and the like.

Crazy as an orb cooler....the trend is ridiculous.

whip out the 4500psi epoxy and fix up the 12000 hour woes on the xp90 to wait this trend out apparently...

my only lack of observation seems to be that 45nm tdp of 130 is a 90nm cpu tdp of something much less. My little 2.8e has needed darn near perfection since day one....
I am safely assuming the newer cpus are cooler miraculously? or is this spcr test flubbed that badly? that v1 heatsink is ridiculous...

speaking of cooling an lack of weirdness...
I believe I have conquered mine...
I have three FAH running, one on vid card, two on cpu, and here to complain about the latest.. at 143F [61C] with an ambient room temp enough to make me sweat (window open and climbing past 82 degrees [27C]...)
now with this thought in mind..take a look at the v1 again..anybody else got thier head out of thier...