SPCR's 2010 CPU Heatsink Test Platform

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
echn111

Post by echn111 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am

MikeC wrote:
echn111 wrote:I recall the previous best in class low airflow cooler for noise oriented enthusiasts, was the Thermalright HR-01 Plus, as reported by SPCR.

I don't mind not including in the recommendations if it was merely 3rd or worse.
Not sure what you're referring to. The HR01 is still at the top of our recommended heatsinks list: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks
Many people could interpret the 2010 article's "Final Thoughts & Rankings" where the top 8 heatsinks are listed, as SPCR's updated heatsink recommendations, superseding the older article. Especially as this heatsink article (and the rankings) is the very first article you get when you click on the SPCR "reference/recommended" link. If that's not the case that's fine, but I'm sure you can see how people could interpret it slightly differently.

The HR-01+ is a rather unpopular product everywhere else as it's focused on performance under low airflow and low noise levels. But, for exactly the same reason most enthusiast sites dislike it, it should be included on future tests here.

Hope to see a full test of the SPCR top ranking quiet heatsinks on the newer platforms (like the 1366) one day. Maybe limited to the top 5. Saying that, if there are valid reasons to not include a product, such as it being discontinued, that is completely understandable.

eddieck

Post by eddieck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Mike, when you retested the D14 after getting the replacement board, did you use one or two of the reference Nexus fans? I'm assuming one (in the middle, right?).

Also, do you plan on reviewing the Venomous X? I'd start a thread in the donate section but I don't really care about the Venomous. I was just curious. (I'm happy with my D14!)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:17 am

echn111 --

The HR01 is sold only w/ mountings for 775 and AMD, afaik. imo, it would not fare quite as well with an i7 or the >125W AMD models. If we end up w/ a a mounting kit that allows this cooler to be used with i7, then we could take another look.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:17 am

MikeC wrote:If we end up w/ a a mounting kit that allows this cooler to be used with i7, then we could take another look.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... 366boltnew