News: Sandybridge, Bulldozer and UEFI

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Post Reply
MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

News: Sandybridge, Bulldozer and UEFI

Post by MikeC » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through this link: Amazon

dhanson865
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:20 am
Location: TN, USA

Post by dhanson865 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:57 pm

When I have a >2TB SSD I'll worry about booting from a >2TB drive. :)

Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.
.
Please put a country in your profile if you haven't already.
This site is international but I'll assume you are in the US if you don't tell me otherwise.
RAID levels thread http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=388987

Mats
Posts: 3044
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:54 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Mats » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:40 pm

dhanson865 wrote:Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.
I agree. Still, iMacs can be configured with a single 2 TB drive, haha.

widowmaker
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:05 pm
Location: Toronto Ontario

Post by widowmaker » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:23 pm

I'm more interested in the promised blazing fast boot times of UEFI. Maybe when paired with SSDs I can finally have a machine ready before I'm done scratching my butt. :wink:
[size=75]You will never be strong enough
You will never be good enough
You were never conceived in love
You will not rise above[/size]

Monkeh16
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: England

Post by Monkeh16 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:41 pm

dhanson865 wrote:When I have a >2TB SSD I'll worry about booting from a >2TB drive. :)

Seriously anyone that makes a storage drive their boot drive right now isn't paying attention.
Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)

Modo
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:32 am
Location: Poland

Post by Modo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:59 pm

This, the new Intel SSDs, new AMD CPUs, new Radeons—there's a very interesting synergy of product launches.
Can you keep it down? I'm having trouble hearing the artillery.

Current rig
Old PC

andymcca
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA

hmm

Post by andymcca » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:09 am

Monkeh16 wrote:Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)
Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

Oh, and linux software raid ftw!
Currently running Mint 14 MATE on all machines.
Desktop/Gaming: E8400 / 650ti + Accelero S1 / Antec Solo
Myth Backend + Home Server: D945GSEJT / WD15EADS / Hauppage 950Q / Home made case
Myth Frontend + HTPC: Sempron 140 / Asus M4A785-M
Notebook:AMD A4-3300M

Metaluna
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:47 pm
Location: USA

Re: hmm

Post by Metaluna » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 am

andymcca wrote:Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

Oh, and linux software raid ftw!
Also, from a system administration point of view, I would think you'd generally want to keep a RAID like that as a separate resource that can be taken offline for maintenance, etc., rather than having the added complication of saddling it with the bootable OS partition.

Monkeh16
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: England

Re: hmm

Post by Monkeh16 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:11 pm

andymcca wrote:
Monkeh16 wrote:Or, alternatively, they're using a large hardware RAID array which makes an SSD a pointless expense. ;)
Afaik you would need something like a 6+ disk RAID1 array to match the random access times of a good SSD. Talk about a pointless expense :D The SSD is probably the less expensive option if all you care about is boot/load times. (again, afaik)

Oh, and linux software raid ftw!
I know people with 6+ disk RAID5 arrays. Hardware with battery backing and RAM for performance. They make SSDs look like cheap toys, oh, and they store terabytes, not gigabytes. ;)

And yeah, software RAID is great.. Except it doesn't scale all that effectively to large arrays. A hardware controller is a much more effective option for arrays containing more than a handful of drives.

Post Reply