Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7489
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 am

Tzupy wrote:And who would dare to postpone the Sandy Bridge launch without definitive proof? Some tech guys? I don't think so, it's only the board of directors that can take such a decision.
:D Heh.

The project leader can stop launch. His Director/VP/VP-GM/CEO might give him a lot of grief, but I've never seen them overrule the decision at a reputable company. Boards aren't involved in product decisions - especially at a large tech company. Start ups have a different set of rules.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:47 pm
Location: St. Louis, USA

Re: Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Post by MikeK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 am

I could say yay since I just built a new AMD 890FX system but I won't. Kudos to Intel for being on the ball and taking the hit. It's better for everyone (except maybe AMD) that they get it out of the way now. Hopefully the early adopters (which could have easily been me) will get what they need painlessly and the problem doesn't turn out to be that bad.

Bulldozer is slightly closer now. The wheel turns...

Joe Public
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Norway

Re: Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Post by Joe Public » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 am

Oof... These are exactly the reasons why I wait after something new has been released. Nothing more annoying than having to swap out parts right away. :|

lodestar
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Location: UK

Re: Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Post by lodestar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 am

Interestingly my local hardware dealer stopped selling all Sandy Bridge motherboards initially. Now however they have resumed sales and have made this statement

"....(we, the board vendors and Intel) have agreed on a intermediate solution to the Sandybridge problem.

As there is No Immediate Danger/Fault and as this fault is likely to affect a small number of boards over time and Replacement Stock will Not be available until realistically in April/May, all the parties above have Guaranteed Direct Swap Out of all P67/H67 Boards bought from us should you the end user wish to do so at a later date.

Based on this Swap Out Guarantee We have decided to make all P67/H67 Boards available for sale again.

The Decision to buy and use still lies upon you the end user customer.....".

Given the quoted failure rate for the chipset fault of 5% after 3 years, I think that this approach makes more sense. Since resuming sales, I gather that this particular dealer has found that P67/H67 sales have returned to their former levels.

ame
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:35 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Sandy Bridge, Part 6: Recall

Post by ame » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 am

I know how you feel, still waiting is not and insurance policy

I have swapped quite a few motherboards/RAM/display cards on well tested platforms.

I am typically more hesitant on new software release than hardware.


EDIT:
If you own Sandy Bridge, please submit you vote in this poll

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61447&p=532561#p532561

Post Reply