Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Vancouver

Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by Lawrence Lee » Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 pm


Enzo_FX
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by Enzo_FX » Tue May 08, 2012 12:30 am

Great! Thanks for this, was looking forward to some coverage on the new features. I can't help but think how precise the control can be outside the OS level though, say if I weren't running Windows? =P. Do you basically only lose the dynamic calibration of the specific fans? Or are you strictly limited to presets?

lb_felipe
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brasil

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by lb_felipe » Tue May 08, 2012 2:25 am

Can this motherboard control 3-pin fans by voltage, or only 4-pin fans by PWM?

If it can, what fan headers can be used to control fans?

Bar81
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:19 pm
Location: Dubai

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by Bar81 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:49 am

The information regarding board support for Fan Xpert 2 is incorrect in that the Sabertooth Z77 is also supported.
Intel i7-3770S l Thermalright Venomous X l Asus Sabertooth Z77 l 8GB G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage l ??? l Samsung 830 256GB l Areca ARC-1200 l WD Caviar GreenPower 1TB (RAID1) l Pioneer BDR-207DBK l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Kingwin Stryker l Antec Solo II l HP LP2475w

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:12 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by zoob » Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 am

lb_felipe wrote:Can this motherboard control 3-pin fans by voltage, or only 4-pin fans by PWM?

If it can, what fan headers can be used to control fans?
The four pin CPU fan headers can only control PWM fans.
The remaining chassis fan headers can control 3-pin fans by voltage.

It's frustrating as I have a number of high quality non-PWM fans that I cannot use on the CPU header, and my PWM fans all have terrible bearing chatter.
solo ii: i7 3770k - p8z77-v pro - 4x4gb - gtx660ti - crucial m4 256gb - ax750
t61p: t9300 - 2x2gb - intel 330 240gb
win2008: i3 2100 - z77pro3 - 2x4gb - arc-1231ml 12x2tb wd eads r6 - cx400

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by kuzzia » Tue May 08, 2012 5:32 am

Why only Fan Xpert 2 for premium products? Why? (I know, a reason to buy their premium main boards). But I'd wish that Fan Xpert would be part of all their current-gen main boards!

Do anyone of you guys know how the FanXpert+ is like? I know FanXpert 1 and 2, but I've never heard of the plus-version.

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Monterey Bay, CA

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by CA_Steve » Tue May 08, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks for the review! Isn't there an easy undervolting utility - have you had a chance to play with it?
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

faugusztin
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovak Republic

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by faugusztin » Tue May 08, 2012 7:16 am

There is no undervolting for idle clocks for any SB/IB CPU. And undervolting for max clocks ? Set your max CPU/Turbo multipliers, set a stable voltage and here is your undervolt/undeclock.

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by MikeC » Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 am

zoob wrote:
lb_felipe wrote:Can this motherboard control 3-pin fans by voltage, or only 4-pin fans by PWM?

If it can, what fan headers can be used to control fans?
The four pin CPU fan headers can only control PWM fans.
The remaining chassis fan headers can control 3-pin fans by voltage.

It's frustrating as I have a number of high quality non-PWM fans that I cannot use on the CPU header, and my PWM fans all have terrible bearing chatter.
It's easy to run your CPU fan from a 3-pin header and set the board to ignore the CPU fan header (so you don't get any error messages at boot.) Even rename the header you choose as CPU FAN.
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through this link: Amazon

nizer
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Princeton, US

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by nizer » Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,

great article, TU!
Last edited by nizer on Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:49 pm
Location: Somerset, WI - USA
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by BillyBuerger » Tue May 08, 2012 1:00 pm

faugusztin wrote:There is no undervolting for idle clocks for any SB/IB CPU. And undervolting for max clocks ? Set your max CPU/Turbo multipliers, set a stable voltage and here is your undervolt/undeclock.
???

I recently purchased an i5-3570K and an ASUS P8H77-MPRO and one of the CPU voltage options is "offset". (Also shown in this article). I set an offset of -0.1V and the idle voltage dropped from 0.92V to about 0.78V. More than the 0.1V offset. :shock: There's not a whole lot of room to drop power at idle but I think I saw a watt difference on my kill-a-watt at idle. ASUS also has their EPU which has a voltage downgrade option. Seems to drop the CPU voltage by about 0.025V for normal and 0.05V for extreme. I accidentally had this on when I first undervolted manually and crashed it with about a -0.15V offset. Opps.
Last edited by BillyBuerger on Thu May 10, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

faugusztin
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 am
Location: Bratislava, Slovak Republic

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by faugusztin » Tue May 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Are you sure your CPU didn't enter C6 state for first time when you seen 0.78V ? When i was playing with offset voltage with my 2600K, it didn't look like it affected idle voltages at all - they were 0.9-1.0V all the time.

lb_felipe
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: São Paulo, SP, Brasil

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by lb_felipe » Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

Thank you for replies.

Is Mugen 3 compatible with this motherboard?

Note that it has a large retention module. I remember that its predecessor, Mugen 2, isn’t compatible with P8P67-V DELUXE (it is with PRO).

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:12 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by zoob » Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 pm

MikeC wrote:It's easy to run your CPU fan from a 3-pin header and set the board to ignore the CPU fan header (so you don't get any error messages at boot.) Even rename the header you choose as CPU FAN.
Ahh good call. I didn't think about setting it up that way.

BTW one thing to note, although this motherboard has four different display outputs, unfortunately it does not allow more than two simultaneous outputs. I was hoping I could get away with a triple-head setup but it just will not work. The manual has a line stating it supports only two simultaneous displays.
solo ii: i7 3770k - p8z77-v pro - 4x4gb - gtx660ti - crucial m4 256gb - ax750
t61p: t9300 - 2x2gb - intel 330 240gb
win2008: i3 2100 - z77pro3 - 2x4gb - arc-1231ml 12x2tb wd eads r6 - cx400

zborbas
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 am
Location: UK Chester

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by zborbas » Tue May 08, 2012 5:55 pm

lb_felipe wrote:Thank you for replies.

Is Mugen 3 compatible with this motherboard?

Note that it has a large retention module. I remember that its predecessor, Mugen 2, isn’t compatible with P8P67-V DELUXE (it is with PRO).
This is a good question and I would like to know the answer, too. Especially, because the reviewer at Anandtech had some problem installing his cooler: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/inte ... -and-msi/4. I am a long time reader of SPCR, but don't post often; I hope it is not against the forum rules to include a link.

nizer
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Princeton, US

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by nizer » Tue May 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Bar81 wrote:The information regarding board support for Fan Xpert 2 is incorrect in that the Sabertooth Z77 is also supported.
The Asus Maximus Gene V also supports Fan Xpert 2 according to the manual's list of specifications.

sam2
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:39 pm
Location: Israel

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by sam2 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:48 am

zoob wrote:BTW one thing to note, although this motherboard has four different display outputs, unfortunately it does not allow more than two simultaneous outputs. I was hoping I could get away with a triple-head setup but it just will not work. The manual has a line stating it supports only two simultaneous displays.
Yes, all Z77 motherboards support triple displays using integrated graphics only if at least two of the three connections use DisplayPort. Asus P8Z77-V Pro actually will support triple displays using integrated graphics if you install optional Asus Thunderbolt PCIe card ($40).

webs0r
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by webs0r » Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Enzo_FX wrote:Great! Thanks for this, was looking forward to some coverage on the new features. I can't help but think how precise the control can be outside the OS level though, say if I weren't running Windows? =P. Do you basically only lose the dynamic calibration of the specific fans? Or are you strictly limited to presets?
Outside of the OS you are limited to the BIOS options.
They are pretty limited - they provide options such as:
Silent
Standard
Turbo
Manual

The manual control allows for a linear program to be set, however, ASUS imposes such tight min, max controls of the fan % and cpu temp that my fans are still too noisy via the BIOS options. Also, the silent setting is not aggressive at all. I have to wait until Windows boot for my box to go silent.

Another note on this; the AsusFanControlService.exe, version: 1.0.0.7 currently fails every restart. Most users do not notice as they have the AI suite software automatically load upon *user login* which restarts the fan service.
I had to go into the service manager and tell it to retry starting this service after 1 minute to ensure it starts. This service provides the fan profile control in Windows.

Other than that, the software rocks!

webs0r
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by webs0r » Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm

kuzzia wrote:Why only Fan Xpert 2 for premium products? Why? (I know, a reason to buy their premium main boards). But I'd wish that Fan Xpert would be part of all their current-gen main boards!
I got the bog standard ASUS P8Z77-V and it supports Fan Xpert. It perhaps just has less fan headers, but you can sortof get around it:

It has 2 PWM 4-pin fan headers and 3 voltage controlled 3-pin fan headers.
I understand that each fan header is rated for 12V, 1A operation.

All my fans on my current build are non-PWN so:
I connected 2x 120mm cpu fans to chassis 1.
I connected 1x 180mm (0.45A) case fans to chassis 2.
I connected 2x 180mm (0.45A) case fans to chassis 3.

The 180mm fans are the Silverstone ones (FT02).
Works fine, even the dual fans, with fan Xpert.

Bar81
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:19 pm
Location: Dubai

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by Bar81 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 am

webs0r wrote:
kuzzia wrote:Why only Fan Xpert 2 for premium products? Why? (I know, a reason to buy their premium main boards). But I'd wish that Fan Xpert would be part of all their current-gen main boards!
I got the bog standard ASUS P8Z77-V and it supports Fan Xpert.
As noted in the article, the P8Z77-V is supported and at $200 it is a premium priced product.
Intel i7-3770S l Thermalright Venomous X l Asus Sabertooth Z77 l 8GB G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage l ??? l Samsung 830 256GB l Areca ARC-1200 l WD Caviar GreenPower 1TB (RAID1) l Pioneer BDR-207DBK l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Kingwin Stryker l Antec Solo II l HP LP2475w

nizer
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Princeton, US

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by nizer » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 am

webs0r wrote:I got the bog standard ASUS P8Z77-V and it supports Fan Xpert. It perhaps just has less fan headers, but you can sortof get around it:

It has 2 PWM 4-pin fan headers and 3 voltage controlled 3-pin fan headers.
I understand that each fan header is rated for 12V, 1A operation.

All my fans on my current build are non-PWN so:
I connected 2x 120mm cpu fans to chassis 1.
I connected 1x 180mm (0.45A) case fans to chassis 2.
I connected 2x 180mm (0.45A) case fans to chassis 3.

The 180mm fans are the Silverstone ones (FT02).
Works fine, even the dual fans, with fan Xpert.
Websur - Is speedfan able to control the fans, or is it only the fan xpert software? And is it really true that it only can regulate according to the cpu temp? I mean, usually my northbridge (NB) chip is the hottest (but with ivy bridge that shouldn't be a problem as it is integrated in the cpu :))

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:45 am
Location: At Home

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by smilingcrow » Thu May 10, 2012 9:38 am

kuzzia wrote:Do anyone of you guys know how the FanXpert+ is like? I know FanXpert 1 and 2, but I've never heard of the plus-version.
It appears that the boards that say FanXpert+ actually use the version 2 software if you check the download section for those boards. I only looked at two boards so this might not be universal.
So it’s possible that the + signifier was initially given to the new controller/software and they haven’t fully amended that in all specs.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:49 pm
Location: Somerset, WI - USA
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 am

faugusztin wrote:Are you sure your CPU didn't enter C6 state for first time when you seen 0.78V ? When i was playing with offset voltage with my 2600K, it didn't look like it affected idle voltages at all - they were 0.9-1.0V all the time.
I didn't think about C6 at all. But under the same idle scenarios, I saw 0.92V before with maybe a short little bit at 0.908V or so. After undervolt, I see 0.78V as the same amount as I saw the 0.92V before. This is confirmed with both the ASUS AI and CPUz. So I definitely am seeing lower voltages with the offset.

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7444
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Monterey Bay, CA

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

Hey Billy - get out the watt meter and fill us with knowledge :D

What kind of power savings are you seeing at various loads with your undervolt?
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

webs0r
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by webs0r » Thu May 10, 2012 4:00 pm

nizer wrote: Websur - Is speedfan able to control the fans, or is it only the fan xpert software? And is it really true that it only can regulate according to the cpu temp? I mean, usually my northbridge (NB) chip is the hottest (but with ivy bridge that shouldn't be a problem as it is integrated in the cpu :))
OK short answer - no, Speedfan cannot.
Long answer - while playing around with Speedfan, once it did detect the appropriate chip and it could see (and i expect control) all the fans!
Interestingly it did this when i launched speedfan WHILE running IBT at "very high" load.
Anyways I would say this detection is flaky and would be a pain to replicate so you are stuck with FanXpert at the moment.

And yes fanXpert will only regulate according to the CPU temp. Not a huge problem in practice (as you say, the NB isn't there anymore) unless you want to link fans to GPU temperatures as that is probably the only other thing that gets hot.

Just a note, fanXpert uses the sensor called "CPU" as determined by AIDA64, which by default is lower than the individual core temp sensors, but scales similarly with them.

Its pretty decent software though, being able to make a fan response curve is neat. Watching auto fan tune work is cool!
bar81 wrote:As noted in the article, the P8Z77-V is supported and at $200 it is a premium priced product.
Haha I didn't expect it was considered premium. I kind of boiled it down to:
Z77-V - "standard"
Z77-V Pro - "pro"
Z77-V Deluxe - "deluxe"
And nearly everything else being sub-standard - of course these models also start with Z77-V just to make things confusing :?

nizer
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Princeton, US

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by nizer » Fri May 11, 2012 12:19 am

webs0r - thank you for your quick response :)
Were you able to control the fans or not? I understand you could read the temps.

I have googled for an answer for this regarding asus Z77 micro-atx motherboards in specific. Speedfan fan control usually is a must for low noise freaks. But I hear you praise of the fan xpert 2 program.

Cheers!
Casper

webs0r
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 1:12 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by webs0r » Fri May 11, 2012 2:11 am

nizer wrote:Were you able to control the fans or not? I understand you could read the temps.
No.
Don't worry though, fan Xpert is better than speedfan with respect to fan control (well the ability to define a fan response) - you will get your silence.

nizer
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Princeton, US

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by nizer » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 am

webs0r wrote:
nizer wrote:Were you able to control the fans or not? I understand you could read the temps.
No. Don't worry though, fan Xpert is better than speedfan with respect to fan control (well the ability to define a fan response) - you will get your silence.
Okay, thank you again webs0r!

smilingcrow wrote:
kuzzia wrote:Do anyone of you guys know how the FanXpert+ is like? I know FanXpert 1 and 2, but I've never heard of the plus-version.
It appears that the boards that say FanXpert+ actually use the version 2 software if you check the download section for those boards. I only looked at two boards so this might not be universal.
So it’s possible that the + signifier was initially given to the new controller/software and they haven’t fully amended that in all specs.
Well, I checked the Asus Z77 micro-atx boards and under the utillities download section a "ASUS FAN Xpert Plus V1.01.11 for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit." program is mentioned for the P8Z77-M and P8Z77-M PRO.

The Maximus V GENE on the other hand uses Fan Xpert 2 as I also mentioned earlier ("ASUS FAN Xpert 2 V1.00.13 for Windows XP/7 32bit & 64bit.")

So, to repeat kuzzia's question, Do anyone of you guys know how the FanXpert+ is like?

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:45 am
Location: At Home

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by smilingcrow » Fri May 11, 2012 5:39 am

Some boards show both the + and version 2 of FAN Xpert in the download area such as the inexpensive P8Z77-V LX, LK and LE:
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S ... /#download
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S ... /#download
http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_S ... /#download

The + version is usually bundled in with about 20 other utilities in a single 160+ MB download with Xpert 2 being a standalone 24MB download.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:49 pm
Location: Somerset, WI - USA
Contact:

Re: Asus P8Z77-V Pro: Xpert Fan Control for LGA1155

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 am

CA_Steve wrote:Hey Billy - get out the watt meter and fill us with knowledge :D

What kind of power savings are you seeing at various loads with your undervolt?
My initial tests were with a picoPSU150XT + 60W 12V DC brick. Idle at stock was 24WAC. With the -0.1V offset I saw 22WAC. My lowest power Pentium M system was able to get 16W with this same PSU. So not too bad. I did start a load test at one point but quickly stopped it when I saw 70W+ to avoid hurting the brick. I've since put the system in my main box with a Seasonic SS-460FL. Idle there is 28W. I haven't done any load tests comparisons between stock and undervolt yet. Still fighting with ZeroCore on my HD7770. Normal idle is about 35W and I've seen it drop down to 29W when ZeroCore kicks in. But that doesn't seem to be happening every time.

Post Reply