Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
HFat

Re: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Post by HFat » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:25 pm

There's a bit more to it than that (see the Intel link above).
It's easier for those like the 320 designers who don't need to compete very hard on cost and performance but otherwise, there's a balance to strike: some writes consume a lot more power than others ("amplification") so it would be wasteful for drives to pack enough power for the worst case scenarios (or enough spare capacity to effectively rule out these worst cases) when they're not required to have a high performance at all times. Making sure such a cost-efficient design works as intended is probably not trivial.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:45 pm

osmium76 wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Or, you could buy a UPS and call it a day.
I had a black-out and my APC with aged batteries keep the current for a very short period... anyway my system had a black-out due to the sudden break of the UPS and recovery the system was a true nightmare. I was very lucky and after a lot of attempts I gained a regular boot with no data loss on my Crucial M4 256 GB... An UPS is a big help but it's not the final solution. There are too many variables playing in these situations (UPS integrity, battery age, UPS manager software, seriousness of the current shock...) to trust on an UPS only...
Seems like an extreme corner condition. In this case, you are really saying "I can't be trusted to monitor the battery life of my UPS, so please let my SSD have a safe shut down mechanism". That said, I really need to check the condition of my UPS :)
xan_user wrote: IKR, why should usb's have all the fun?
Heh.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:37 am

Trivial perhaps not, but I've got a lot of trust in engineers. Perhaps too much.

osmium76

Post by osmium76 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 am

CA_Steve wrote:
osmium76 wrote:
CA_Steve wrote:Or, you could buy a UPS and call it a day.
I had a black-out and my APC with aged batteries keep the current for a very short period... anyway my system had a black-out due to the sudden break of the UPS and recovery the system was a true nightmare. I was very lucky and after a lot of attempts I gained a regular boot with no data loss on my Crucial M4 256 GB... An UPS is a big help but it's not the final solution. There are too many variables playing in these situations (UPS integrity, battery age, UPS manager software, seriousness of the current shock...) to trust on an UPS only...
Seems like an extreme corner condition. In this case, you are really saying "I can't be trusted to monitor the battery life of my UPS, so please let my SSD have a safe shut down mechanism". That said, I really need to check the condition of my UPS :)
xan_user wrote: IKR, why should usb's have all the fun?
Heh.
The batteries were 9 years old, while they should be replaced every 3 years. I left them because the APC in these 9 years coninued to work giving me no anxiety... until the last black-out. I didn't install the Parachute manager software so during the last blackout after 4-5 minutes the UPS died suddenly... after I was able to restore my system functionality I bought a couple of new batteries and installed immediately the APC manager software. Even with new batteries and the software running makes a lots os tantrums... so surely every PC should have a good power supply and an UPS but if even the SSD has some black-out protection is a good thing!!!