SilverStone DS380 8-Bay Server/NAS Chassis

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

SilverStone DS380 8-Bay Server/NAS Chassis

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Enzo_FX

Re: SilverStone DS380 8-Bay Server/NAS Chassis

Post by Enzo_FX » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:05 am

Fantastic, just the nas case I was looking at. There really needs to be more competition in this space, that is that aren't solutions aimed strictly at the server market, and thus very expensive.

The comparable case for me was the PC-Q25 by Lian Li and it too is a solid case. Thanks for the review, and I will now actually read it =p.

Edit:
Well a bit disappointed. I was definitely concerned at the drive cage setup, so disappointed that it does pose a problem. Looks like it's not a must-have for me in the next build. The cooling would probably ok for my needs, so maybe if the drives were all WD Red's or something, with little to no vibration =P. I think a GPU is probably an after thought with a seemingly NAS dedicated box, so why not test CPU load only, as well as CPU+GPU? I'll have to look at those tables again...
Last edited by Enzo_FX on Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am

The specs need a little help, unless this case somehow can hold those larger mobos.

joelmusicman

Post by joelmusicman » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:18 am

Since this would be an ideal case for a server and decidedly not ideal for a gaming box, I think Silverstone made a mistake by having that cutout for a GPU and having the entire affair removable; I bet those two issues are what cause the vibration issue. The case would be much more solid without those "features." Also, they could've used SAS style attachment for the back to reduce cable clutter.

My main problem with the DS380, however, is the low cooling performance. There are some whitepapers from Google about longevity of consumer hard drives that state that failure rates rise by an order of magnitude if the HDD operates above 40C. My Node 304 is fully populated with Seagate 3tb 7200rpm drives, and unfortunately to keep my HDDs below 40 reliably I have to keep the fan switch on high. Not a huge problem as the server is located in my spare bedroom, but it's not super quiet.

Overall, it's a real shame because I really want to like the DS380. The Hotswap feature is a real upgrade from the Node.

Critique for the article: On pg. 5, both the 7200 Seagate Barracuda XT and the 5400 Samsung EcoGreen are mentioned, but the temp pages don't specify which is used. I'm guessing the higher temp (HDD1) is the XT and the other three are EcoGreens?

akromatic

Post by akromatic » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:51 pm

from what i can see is that it makes a very good platform for LAN or storage though i wish it included 2-4 more 3.5" internal bays

the dual 120mm fan could potentially mean a dual rad or you could have a 7 drive + GPU for a gaming platform with the only thing holding back is the amount of sata ports available on board

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 pm

joelmusicman wrote:My main problem with the DS380, however, is the low cooling performance. There are some whitepapers from Google about longevity of consumer hard drives that state that failure rates rise by an order of magnitude if the HDD operates above 40C.
Actually no, in Google's hard drive study (http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf), the most reliable temperature range was from 35C to around 45C. Failure rate does become higher by 1% ~ 2% up to around 50C but it's still much better than if the drives were kept cool. You can see clearly from the graph below that drive failure rate raise by an order of magnitude if temperature goes below 25C. There is really no need to keep HDD cool, running them at warm temperature appears to be the best!

akromatic

Post by akromatic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 pm

IMO the key is to keep the drives constant temperature