Silent Antec CHEAPly

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

colm

Re: Silent Antec CHEAPly

Post by colm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:20 am

been awhile.

my latest build in the same case has 4.15 years on the HDD hours.
the xeon e3-1270

Have needed nothing.
I am at a new address, near umo orono maine.

I thought of this place while moving.. old heatsinks and pc parts I had stored away coming out of the closet.
very humbling.

I turned 48 in january.
I found this place since day one.. I see it is almost 20 years now.
HDTune_Health_WDC_WD1600AABS-61PRA0.png
will try to check in more often.. time to catch up. :)

I quit smoking in aug 2019 after stating (written) "I just tasted the most horrible flem". they announced covid 4 months later
I have since gone into vape technology... not the kids playing version, but the inventors purpose. Been doing well. I mix my own light mixture..no flavors. Just for quitting smoking. learning wattage and the technology.. I believe there is a future of medicine to come from that vape world.

a huge thing I have gotten into is the cellphone. Never had one as my fingers do not agree with the tiny screen. I found a phablet and am doing well with it.
I may stop custom building to go for a large screen lap top next.. but not sure.

Just wanted to say hi, and that i think of this place... this one thread is 15 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 am

Welcome back.

My PC updates have certainly slowed down as my computing needs have nearly plateaued...it's just the occasional gfx card update for gaming..and moving to a 42" 2160p TV for a monitor. I don't think I could stand having a laptop for my primary display..or deal with it's noise.

Congrats on stopping smoking...but I don't think vaping is much of an improvement. You are still inhaling chemicals. If you still need nicotine, go for the patch or gum.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:56 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:55 am
My PC updates have certainly slowed down as my computing needs have nearly plateaued...it's just the occasional gfx card update for gaming..and moving to a 42" 2160p TV for a monitor. I don't think I could stand having a laptop for my primary display..or deal with it's noise.
How are you getting on with that? I was pondering several times whether I should get one of those. My other idea was to get a giant cheap TV (75"+) and work on it with a least 2-3m distance.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am

It's worked out well. I've got a 2019 Vizio M series. So, HDR/wide gamut is pretty awesome. A bit of a pita debugging Windows, HDR, and not having Displayport or HDMI 2.0 on the TV. I think my 9 year old CPU is going to run up against the Windows 11 wall as it doesn't support TPM. So, I guess I'll have to upgrade before 2025 :).

colm

Post by colm » Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 am

the earth went around the sun again.

just checking in. :lol:

still running the e3-1270, same box
HDD hours
hd hurs.JPG
35502hours = 1479 days power on

this thread is now 16 years old. :D
my original link in the favorites folder had to be updated.
glad I decided to do a search before giving it up.

anyway..
my only chores have been cleaning with a cheap electronics cleaner from a dollar store.

I agree about the vape as well.. just using it as a tool. I am industrially disabled (veteran).
comparable to an agent orange kinda guy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 05, 2022 3:44 am

Congrats on another year without replacement parts ;)

My CPU/Case/HDD (WD Red 2TB) turned 10.

colm

Post by colm » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:42 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:44 am
Congrats on another year without replacement parts ;)

My CPU/Case/HDD (WD Red 2TB) turned 10.
thank you.
replying in a shorter interval this time. Just kidding.
another year rolled by.
I just ordered a sata 3 SSD.
my first ever.
crucial mx500 on a gift card.

the xeon is doing market related things now.
this year my locale is incredibly wet. Not even all my years posting here as had them.. I think back to the early 90s for this spell.
the mobo I.. the h75m gigabyte. it is in their original ad to have away to fight humidity.
it does work. It is proving it this year.

from maine's 30 below,to the rare tropic pattern of mid summer this year. Many days of rain.
a great board.
HDTune_Health_WDC_WD5000AADS-56S9B1.png
my hdd is at 45k hours. my market software has gained a glitch after a couple of weeks, swtiching between real time DOM orders...and it is my end. I am blaming the hdd buffer lag. market data is real time.
you don't know what you got until challenged.
I am challenging my old dog for sure. I am getting to be an old dog myself.
I do not keep track of many things...but my pc is one of them.
this forum is the oldest in my favorites.

I hope it stays open.

will post in coming days the results. Reviving memories of partitions and hdd chores preparing for new start... I remember 5200 rpm , lots of noise..and waiting forever while formatting...on 233mhz. more than 25 years ago now.
What an amazing ride it has been. :)