Sonata Wiring pics?

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thatguyX

Sonata Wiring pics?

Post by thatguyX » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:08 pm

Does anyone have them or any guide specifically for the Sonata? I can't seem to hide the wires the way I want without cutting up the case. I've tried tucking wires in the top 5.25" bay but it still looks some what sloppy? Can someone post pictures or something on the a good way to clean up the Sonata's wiring? I've seen the other cable hiding guides, but some things wont work with the accoustipack and what not installed.

thatguyX

Post by thatguyX » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:08 am

77 views and no posts? :( someone help!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:17 am

Have you looked at Ralf Hutter's pictures? Though not Sonata specific, the show some cable management.

Prozzaks

Sonata Case

Post by Prozzaks » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:59 am

I should get a Sonata case this week for my new computer so I will also have to deal with it. I'll give you my views when I get my case.

BTW : I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this. I think this section is reserved for pics and description of your box quietting mods.

Darkhound

Post by Darkhound » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:34 am

Where do you live? If its UK get the latest issue of CustomPC, they have a 2 page guide about managing cables to make it look tidy and increase airflow. I'm planning to follow it once I get my new CPU and some cable ties and wrap etc.

tias

Post by tias » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:50 pm

I spent quite some time arranging my Sonata and I'm very pleased with the results. As soon as I get hold of a camera I will upload 'em!

thatguyX

Post by thatguyX » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:14 pm

bump

jabbadegrassi

Post by jabbadegrassi » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:27 pm

That's mine, I think it's pretty tidy. Routed power cables on top of the PSU and made good use of the horizontal support beam. There are a few details that could stand to be ironed out, but I think it's a pretty good example of what you can do without removing the rear panel.

EDIT: Also, for the HDD and CD-ROM, I just shoved the power cables behind the mobo tray. You can kind of see it behind the mobo power connectors, and a little bit by the IDE cables.

thatguyX

Post by thatguyX » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:29 pm

^bumpin^

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:14 am

I don't think you can remove the back panel without lots of work (not recommended). The back panel is also part of the top and bottom (all one piece) and riveted to the drive cages. If you remove the back panel, the entire case would fall to pieces!

Your best bet is to tuck the unused power cables on top/side of the PSU and try to route the drive/misc cables under the motherboard. It can get quite tight in there so be careful with clearances.

Here's a link to my Sonata
Here's another link to a Compucase (similar) project.

jabbadegrassi

Post by jabbadegrassi » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:43 pm

Removing the rivets really isn't that big a project. It's not supportive in any way, the case will not fall apart. It's just a matter of drilling out the rivets and later replacing them with a rivet gun. You may eve be able to replace the rivets with screws afterwards, but I'm not 100% on that.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:54 pm

My rig :

http://www.burcakbaskan.com/albums/PCMods/index.htm

Details:

Excess PSU cables are stuck to the top and side of the PSU (there'a huge space on the side, check it out)

12V line hidden behind the support beam, goes round the Acoustifan 120mm. The Acoustifan line goes above the PCI slots (taped to the edge) to the fan connector at the bottom of mobo

IDE round cables go behind the 3.5 bays

SATA connectors at the mobo bottom

One single power line from the PSU to power the 2 Seagate disks, the Vantec fan controller and the Radeon 9700. Another power line to power the two optical drives and the floppy. Cables braided wherever possible. Optical drive power lines are folded and tucked to the side.

Front firewire cable routed behind the PCI slots. Not obviously visible. Back firewire bracket could be removed, I don't use them

A small gripe is the front USB and audio connectors. Too thick, too obvious. Maybe I'll pull them all off and re-package them, but I'm lazy.

Biggest gripe is the main power line. Thick, long and has to plug into a really messy place. The only thing wrong on an exceptionally well layed out case (the only reason I accepted those blingy phosphorous green thingies. The blue light isn't for bling, it's there so I can see what I'm doing when fiddling inside the case :-) )

thatguyX

Post by thatguyX » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:54 pm

bump

JMJ

Post by JMJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:08 pm

Let's bump this one more time. I'm about to do some serious rewire tomorrow and my cable management skills are G-H-E-T-T-O!

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:06 pm

If you browse around in the gallery I think you will find some good wiring examples. Maybe it won't be as easy as that if you specifically are looking for wiring in a Sonata case, however, a case is a case - the inside of the Sonata is nothing special compared to the majority of cases.

Interesting thread, even though there are useful answers the only comment posted by the threadstarter thatguyX is "bump".

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:17 pm

Do a search for cablegami. I folded my ribbon wires across the side & through all sorts of holes, and wrapped an elastic band round the excess PSU wires and stuck them in the top bay. There shouldn't be anything special needed to keep your one tidy.