Beware flies on the wall...

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nannygoat

Beware flies on the wall...

Post by nannygoat » Wed May 12, 2004 9:45 am

No fans, not much heat, and I can leave it downloading stuff through my router overnight while I turn my 'silent' workstation off...
I knew I'd find a use for my slot-1 Celeron eventually:

Everything is done via XP remote desktop, which with a 100Mbit ethernet is just like the real thing.
Last edited by nannygoat on Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 12, 2004 1:12 pm

Neat! So how about a list of your hardware?

What's the little NAD box beneath it?

DonP

Post by DonP » Wed May 12, 2004 2:22 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:..little NAD box..
I can't stop laughing when I hear references to NAD equipment :) What an unfortunate name.

Seriously though - cool set up.. but what about dust?
And what's the PSU? and what HDD temps are you getting?

nannygoat

Post by nannygoat » Thu May 13, 2004 2:57 am

Yep, I've thought long and hard about the comedic merits of tippexing an 'S' onto my NAD phono pre-amp, but so far have not been convinced....

Specs:
Mobo - Abit BH6 (lol), a good old BX440 chipset complete with ISA slots
Graphics card - 16MB chaintech Voodoo Banshee (rofl)
CPU - Celeron 333 (roflmao). Upon removing the dusty stock heatsink for cleaning, I noticed that there wasn't even any thermal compound on the CPU die, although this was extremely pleasant from a cleaning point of view, I decided to stick some ceramique on there.

Either the slot-1 interface doesn't incorporate thermal readings from the CPU or there just isn't a CPU thermistor, because the only reading I get from the board is a system temp, which hovers around 35C. The hard drive also reads around 35C through SMART - it's my old cuda IV in a coolermaster case (fan removed).
I twisted the intake vents on the PSU (as recommended on SPCR) and mounted it so the air path is vertical rather than horizontal (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article15-page1.html) and it runs pretty cool. The banshee however, will probably be covered in melted insects by the end of the summer.
Having a computer stuck to the wall also provokes tricky questions from visitors - 'why do you need a computer on your wall...?'

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Thu May 13, 2004 7:04 am

nannygoat wrote:Having a computer stuck to the wall also provokes tricky questions from visitors - 'why do you need a computer on your wall...?'
"Because it's cheaper than a poster!" Great launching point for a discussion of obsolescence.