Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

adder

LC11 - looks good and i can't hear it!

Post by adder » Tue May 10, 2005 1:03 pm

That's an MSI RS480 motherboard using on board graphics for MCE2005
The 2 case fans have been replaced with Panaflows running at 5v
The cpu runs at 31-33 degrees with speedfan control
Anybody any idea why the SPDIF to TV is only coming out of 2 speakers? I've played with both PC and TV settings to no avail....

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 11, 2005 5:33 am

Good job!

What are your entire system specs and load temps?

Are the fins of that Z-7000 pretty close to the case fan?

jamiedeas

Post by jamiedeas » Thu May 12, 2005 7:40 am

nice looking htpc.

where did you get the panaflo fans from?

Also, did you do anything to the psu fan? looks in the piccie like it might have been changed or otherwise modded.

rei

Post by rei » Sat May 14, 2005 9:45 am

how'd you get that zalman on? i sold mine since the website said it wouldn't fit on this very mobo.

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sat May 14, 2005 11:06 am

rei wrote:how'd you get that zalman on? i sold mine since the website said it wouldn't fit on this very mobo.
Uh.. I have one of those boards and a 7000alcu and mounting it is no problem at all, it doesnt come close to any components on the board.

adder

Post by adder » Tue May 17, 2005 1:19 pm

hello again!
yes Ralf the fans on the zalman are pretty close to the panaflo but it all fits in nicely! Worst bit was taking a large screwdriver to the motherboard to lever off the backing plate which was firmly attached with a double sided sticky pad! :shock:
the panaflos came from here http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/
the psu fan just had a 20 second mod to remove the guard with a pair of wire cutters :D
rest of specs include a laptop drive, a Black Gold freeview card and a proper MCE remote
the mrs is giving it the thumbs down because of intermittent lip sink problems when watching tv and some 'stuttering' of tv when it's been on for a while. Dunno if this is a problem with the card, drivers or the hard drive but very dissappointing to be honest.
I haven't done any load tests because that's not what it's about to me - i just wanted something that was cheapish, quick to knock together and just worked! but unfortunately it doesn't which is a shame because it really is inaudible when sat on the sofa and I managed to figure out which buttons on the tv remote to press to get the digi sound coming through all 6 tv speakers, lol
bl00dy Microsoft software :wink: might have to go back to the Panasonic dvd recorder :(
oh yeah it's got an Athlon 64 3000+ winchester core 90nm cpu thingy in it and half a gig of ram to complete the picture! :!:
Also what mr qwerty**** says was not true in my case because I had to take a screwdriver to the original bracket like i said and one of the fixing screws is touching a little black diode/capacitor/whatever it is (small black rectangular thing) on the motherboard so it was very tight getting the zalman bracket to fit......