My New Antec P180! With Excellent Cable Management

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:07 pm

D12SL-12: sleeve bearing, D12BL-12: ball bearing. Generally speaking, ball bearing fans are noisier but last longer than sleeve bearing fans. The Nexus-branded fans are the sleeve bearing variety.

What's a stickler?

NanPatterson

Post by NanPatterson » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 pm

someone who insists on something

:D

NanPatterson

Post by NanPatterson » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 am

Do you know where I can get the ATX12v extention? Having a hard time finding those.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:52 am

NanPatterson wrote:Do you know where I can get the ATX12v extention? Having a hard time finding those.
Here you go...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=3156

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:15 pm

NanPatterson wrote:Do you know where I can get the ATX12v extention? Having a hard time finding those.
It's even easier to tell you if you fill out the "location" field in your profile... that way we won't recommend a reseller on the other side of the globe... usually :wink:

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:52 pm

Okay guys, I finally got done completing my final tasks to make my pc, what is in audible to me. Sitting at my computer desk, with my PC about 2 feet from my ear, I cannot even tell it is running. I have to put my head right next to the PC to even be able to tell its on, or look at the power LED.

I have replaced the 3 fans in my computer for Yate Loon D12SL-12's. I have one for intake, one for exhaust, and I replaced the fan in my Coolermaster Real Power 450, with one of the Yate Loons also.

I managed to keep one of my Coolermaster 120mm Silent fans, but I cut the wires to the LED's so they do not glow blue anymore. This fan is connected to the top blowhole. I couldn't install a Yate Loon up there, due to the design of the fan, the part where the screws go through, would not allow me to slide it through the notches that hold the fan up without cutting it up with a dremel.

I also removed all LED fans, even replaced my Zalman 7000B-Cu LED for the non-LED version. I had the non-LED laying around in my room, so I swapped it out. :) And you already know I replaced the blue LED fan in my power supply for the Yate Loon.

In total I have 7 fans in my case. They are all hooked up to my new Sunbeam fan controller (even the chipset). I usually run all the fans at about 6v to achieve in audibility. Then when I need to game, or run CPU intensive tasks, crank the fans up to 12v for maximum airflow.

Also I would like to thank frankgehry for selling me the Yate Loons, after having a terrible experience with TekGems. He made everything work out well for me, and now all my goals are accomplished. I'm very happy.

Here's two pics I took while practicing some photography in my camera's manual mode.

ereinion

Post by ereinion » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:26 pm

Nice cable management, personnaly, I would have put my HHD in the lower chamber, and block hole in the back panel, just around the PSU, but that is just me. And what are the spec of your computer??

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:40 pm

ereinion wrote:Nice cable management, personnaly, I would have put my HHD in the lower chamber, and block hole in the back panel, just around the PSU, but that is just me. And what are the spec of your computer??
Antec P180
AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 2.5Ghz w/ Zalman 7000B-Cu
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
Western Digital 74GB Raptor
NEC 3500A DVD-RW
Samsung CD-RW
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB
1GB Corsair XMS TWINX1024-3200XLPT (2-2-2-5)
nVidia 6800 Ultra @ 460/1200Mhz w/ Zalman VF700-Cu
Coolermaster Real Power 450W PSU
Sunbeam Fan Controller
Last edited by dynamiks on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KDaddy

Re: PSU

Post by KDaddy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:24 pm

dynamiks wrote:
NanPatterson wrote:Do you think the ATX12v from a S12-500 would fit under the motherboard the same as the power supply you used?
No. It is too short, you would need an extension.
Never saw an answer to this but would the stension have any effect on the voltage?

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:12 pm

KDaddy wrote:
dynamiks wrote:
NanPatterson wrote:Do you think the ATX12v from a S12-500 would fit under the motherboard the same as the power supply you used?
No. It is too short, you would need an extension.
Never saw an answer to this but would the stension have any effect on the voltage?
Some people say yes, but I have no idea why would an extension change anything? Alot of people talk alot of things that aren't true, just on speculation. Just like everyone says "Don't get the Zalman 7700Cu because its too heavy, its gonna warp your motherboard, or rip the CPU out of the socket." Yet, have you ever read one story of anyone's 7700Cu doing any of those things? People just like hyping things unneccesarily.

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:29 pm

dynamiks wrote: Some people say yes, but I have no idea why would an extension change anything? Alot of people talk alot of things that aren't true, just on speculation. Just like everyone says "Don't get the Zalman 7700Cu because its too heavy, its gonna warp your motherboard, or rip the CPU out of the socket." Yet, have you ever read one story of anyone's 7700Cu doing any of those things?
One potential problem is that wires have a bit of resistance. That was the explanation for why the higher power S12's have shorter wires. And connectors have resistance too, probably much more than the bit of wire in an extension cord. There have been reports here of people with burnt out motherboard connectors, although I don't remember exactly how this ties in.

NanPatterson

Post by NanPatterson » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:57 am

Well, I have about 95% complete on the computer setup. I looked in my BIOS to check the 12v and it was running around 12.03 so I do not think the extention will severly hurt anything.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:56 pm

Very nice setup Dynamik

I've got everything loaded into my system minus the PSU, and it comes in tomorrow sometime. I got the s12-600. I hope it's quiet. Anyway, I just wanted to express how cool I think your setup is and how great your cable managment is. One thing. How is your VGA cooler powered? I think I see the line running by the northbridge, but I'm curious how you're powering that. That's a problem i'm running into with mine as I've run out of fan headers on my mobo.

It's a shame to hear about the Yate loon not fitting in the upper vent. I ordered two of those and was wanting to put one of them there. Oh well. I read an article somewhere that tells how to get rid of the closed screw hole "things". Maybe that'll work. I'm just worried that it'll throw off the balance of the fan.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:24 pm

Mystr_Byrnz wrote:Very nice setup Dynamik

I've got everything loaded into my system minus the PSU, and it comes in tomorrow sometime. I got the s12-600. I hope it's quiet. Anyway, I just wanted to express how cool I think your setup is and how great your cable managment is. One thing. How is your VGA cooler powered? I think I see the line running by the northbridge, but I'm curious how you're powering that. That's a problem i'm running into with mine as I've run out of fan headers on my mobo.

It's a shame to hear about the Yate loon not fitting in the upper vent. I ordered two of those and was wanting to put one of them there. Oh well. I read an article somewhere that tells how to get rid of the closed screw hole "things". Maybe that'll work. I'm just worried that it'll throw off the balance of the fan.
my VGA cooler is powered by my Sunbeam fan controller. Every fan I have in my case (minus the power supply) is hooked up to the Sunbeam controller (even the chipset fan). I have all the wires hidden pretty well, thats why you cannot really see where I have it connected. :)

And yes it sucks that the Yate Loon doesn't work up top, but like you said. There is an article on how to do it. Basically all you have to do is use a dremel to cut it. And then you will be able to mount it up top.

kadiir

Post by kadiir » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:12 am

FYI, if you use either the Nexus anti-vibe kit's closed-corner "thingy" (too early - can't think of the term, but it's the silicone suspension 'device') or Vexus' it will work. I have a Nexus hung there right now (on my ~90% built system :x ).

My concern, though, is that it will rattle given that the front half of the fan is resting on those tabs.

kad

edit: little clarification

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:31 pm

some newer, fresher, pics.. 8)

Wex

Post by Wex » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:30 pm

Wow, very nice... I suppose that wiring job took more than an hour. One quick question though. I just want to confirm that the PSU cables came sleeved? Oh, and 1 more thing... that ribbon IDE cable right in the center of your case going inder the optical drive bothers me... mind folding it? :lol:

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:53 pm

I notice in the last set up pics you've taken out the PCI slot cover below your video card. Has that resulted in better temps for your vid card?

You're not the first person I've seen do that, so I'm curious if there are positive results coming from that.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:57 pm

Here's the newest pics of my machine...
I upgraded my motherboard to Asus A8N SLI Premium, video card to eVGA 7800GTX, heatsink to Scythe Ninja, and fans to Coolermaster Silent Blue UV. I also took the Zalman VF700Cu off of my 6800 Ultra and installed it onto my eVGA 7800GTX.

vapb400

Post by vapb400 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Looks amazing! Mind posting a pic of the sunbeam in the case?

*edit*

and what blue fans are those?

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 pm

vapb400 wrote:Looks amazing! Mind posting a pic of the sunbeam in the case?

*edit*

and what blue fans are those?
The fans are Coolermaster Silent UV fans.

and I'll take a pic of the fan controller in a minute, then post it up.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:05 pm

Here's the pic of the case with the door opened.

mprezd

Post by mprezd » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

dynamiks, you posted earlier saying you were buying an antec 500w phantom. Just wondering when you were expecting it? I was looking at the same psu/case and wanted to know what the cable lengths were like - and whether u needed extension cables.

Awesome build by the way. I think I saw this on another website as well.

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:24 pm

mprezd wrote:dynamiks, you posted earlier saying you were buying an antec 500w phantom. Just wondering when you were expecting it? I was looking at the same psu/case and wanted to know what the cable lengths were like - and whether u needed extension cables.

Awesome build by the way. I think I saw this on another website as well.
I actually decided to get the Antec TruePower II 550W because now I want to have an SLI Ready Power Supply. Plus at the time when I was ordering the Phantom 500 it was out of stock. So anyway the TPII 550W should be here tomorrow, but I won't be putting it in for a while till I sleeve the whole thing. And since I haven't even purchased the sleeving yet, I don't even know when thats going to be. :-p

toNka

Post by toNka » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:52 pm

Dude, are you Bill Gates or what?
Who has the kind of money to make the upgrades you are?
You already had a smokin' system and now this....
Phew... :oops:

dynamiks

Post by dynamiks » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:26 am

toNka wrote:Dude, are you Bill Gates or what?
Who has the kind of money to make the upgrades you are?
You already had a smokin' system and now this....
Phew... :oops:
I'm far from rich. I'm actually pretty broke, but if you sell old parts to buy new ones, you don't pay that much to get the new stuff. I didn't pay as much as you think to upgrade. I don't even think I put in half to get it all. I just sell all my old stuff lying around, and I can afford the new stuff :)

nethaker

Post by nethaker » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:02 am

Congratulations !

Nice setup, but I think you should buy a round cables to make everything looking perfect :)

PS. My fist post on SOCR :D sorry for my bad English, I'm from Poland :)

mathias

Post by mathias » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:57 am

nethaker wrote:Nice setup, but I think you should buy a round cables to make everything looking perfect :)
Round cables are bigger, hard to get out of the way and often unreliable.
nethaker wrote:PS. My fist post on SOCR :D sorry for my bad English, I'm from Poland :)
Welcome to SPCR!

JonV

Post by JonV » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:15 am

dynamiks wrote:
nyu3 wrote:
ultraboy wrote: Totally OT and I may be wrong, but I thought the 2 sticks of ram were supposed to be on the same color ram slot to give dual channel. :?:
You are correct.
Actually he is wrong... Not totally wrong, but wrong in this case. On my motherboard Dual Channel does not go by color. The memory actually has to be side by side. My memory is in dual channel right now, it is not installed improperlly.
I hate to correct you, especially if you're not even using that board anymore, but just in case you are, and in case anyone else with the same board reads this: The white text above the memory slots clearly state CHA(Green) and CHB(Purple). That's hard to interpret any other way than that your sticks are in the wrong position.

nici

Post by nici » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:41 pm

That is one extremely clean setup you got there! 8) :shock: Thumbs up! Now im temped to get the ninja... :lol: I have to start selling all my old stuff before it becomes totally outdated..

Oh and those Cooler Master fans are actually very very nice, i have two of the green ones and i would say they are as good as the Nexus of wich i have owned several samples. They have sleeve-bearings and run 1220rpm at 12V, but works down to as low as 350rpm if needed.