My totally silent low-power rig!

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zhenya

My totally silent low-power rig!

Post by zhenya » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:27 pm

I've finally managed to get my system to the point I'm really happy with it. This should do me until I break down and finally upgrade, probably with the release of Vista. Anyhow, I've been on a long journey to quiet my system over the past few years. It started with an extremely noisy cpu fan that I discovered I could safely quiet merely by unplugging it -- my 1.4ghz celeron runs adequately cool (~55C with current airflow levels) with passive cooling. I then purchased a 160gb WD drive about 2 years ago that is among the loudest I have ever heard. I solved that for a while by purchasing an 80gb Spinpoint for my OS, and spinning down the WD. Eventually even the occassional on-time of the WD became too much, and I recently purchased a 250 gb Hitachi deskstar as it's replacement, and moved the WD to external, occasional archival duty. The Deskstar isn't as quiet as the Spinpoint, but it also spends most of its time off. Over the past month or so I've discovered this site and made a strong push for absolute silence. I think I'm finally there. I don't game, or do anything super processor intensive, so I can get away with a this antique of a system. I recently purchased a P150 case to replace the POS I've been using for the last several years. The neo430 did not work on my old Soyo board either, but I'm pretty certain I've now ended up with a quieter system by modding my old PSU. Here's what I've got (caution, image links are ~700k each):

Here's my old PSU with modded with a Nexus fan @ 5v, soft mounted. I tried a Papst "9db" here first, and the Papst was quieter than the Nexus at anything above 5v. At 5v they both still click, but the Papst is the louder of the two. The PSU is also soft mounted to the chassis. The 120mm Nexus is also at 5v.

This is the mod that took the system from super quiet to silent. I had been running a 92mm Nexus fan here at 5v. It was nice because the fan itself was nearly silent, and the drives were stable at 30c, however the drives themselves were the main source of noise. I removed the fan and cut some foam to fit inside the front door. Voila! True silence!

View from the front with the door open, also showing the foam placed on top of each drive. The rubber bands help hold the foam tightly to the drives. Drive temperature is stable now at 43c. Much higher than before, but still safe, and much, much quieter -- no noise whatsoever from the Samsung, not even seek noises (AAM enabled). Placing foam on both sides of the drive did almost nothing to improve sound levels (which are now below the ambient noise of my extremely quiet room anyhow) but increased drive temps to ~55c.

Not the cleanest, but the case is closed anyhow, and there is no through-case air circulation anyways.

Cheers, and comments welcome! :D

depravedone

Post by depravedone » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:18 pm

I can hear your poor hard drives crying for a drink.

Doh!

I think one of them just died.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:43 am

:) Perhaps. But you can get away with a lot when you don't produce much heat to begin with. The Hitachi is off more than 90% of the time, and the Samsung is merely warm to the touch.

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:39 am

so you blocked the front intake completely, well sometimes you have to decide between your ears or your rig.

by the way congratz on having the first SPCR's P150 gallery.

ady_nemesis

looks familiar :)

Post by ady_nemesis » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:09 pm

I have an similar setup, but my cpu (celeron 2,26) has in 8cm 5v fan. My psu is chiftec 360 with an 120mm 5v fan. So it's stil an 2 fan sistem. :!: Advice: I use an wood box sealed all around my sistem. You can't hear it iven at nigth! Totaly silent! Excuse my poor english but it's not my first language. :wink:

zhenya

Re: looks familiar :)

Post by zhenya » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 am

ady_nemesis wrote: Advice: I use an wood box sealed all around my sistem. You can't hear it iven at nigth! Totaly silent!
That was the goal here, but without the wooden box! :lol: I seem to have succeeded. Temperatures are stable in the safe zone even under load, and I can't hear anything from this machine -- and I live in a very,very quiet neighborhood.

ady_nemesis

Post by ady_nemesis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:58 am

My pc is silent to without de wooden box but my case (chiftec) is whyte and i like black so i have to hyde it somehow. :lol: So why not use a wood box then. :D

niels007

Post by niels007 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:39 pm

I think depravedone thinks your HD is running at 55 where, if I read correctly they are only running at 43 which is no problem at all..

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Does that foam help to kill the whoosh noise from your Samsung? If so, where did you get the foam. Is it not helpful to put foam on the underside of the hard drive?

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:52 pm

I have a couple of points about the HDD foam.

Its quite well documented that Samsung drives are a few degrees warmer than what they claim (4-5C a guess).

I am far more concerned with NOT loosing my data than a few DB's that I would not ever consider that. However its your data not mine.!!!

If you want HDD bliss and NOT have high temps then you need a laptop HDD, or external HDD (SATA, USB, Firewire, LAN).

Last time i bothered looking, my HDD's hit a high of 38 and I was concerned.

Andy

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:25 pm

halfpower wrote:Does that foam help to kill the whoosh noise from your Samsung? If so, where did you get the foam. Is it not helpful to put foam on the underside of the hard drive?
The foam helps tremendously. With it, I have real silence - I can't hear the machine, even seeking, at a distance of about 1 meter. The difference between the machine "on" and "off" is inaudible. However I did not notice any significant improvement from sandwiching the drive with foam on both sides, and as I noted above, temperatures did start to rise quickly.

The foam is leftover scraps from Pelican style cases. Sorry I can't be more specific! We just have lots of it leftover from shipping equipment at work! :D
Last edited by zhenya on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:27 pm

andyb wrote: Last time i bothered looking, my HDD's hit a high of 38 and I was concerned.
Wow, some people get worried pretty easily.

I'd rather have go for the silent approach. I have run my disks with normal temps, but in my latest build it has been running at pretty cool 30c. I would have no problems running my samsung at 43c wich isn't even high. 48c would be high.

I have never had a HD failure, but the cases that I do know, they have usually happended during the first year of use and had nothing to do with temperatures.

You can always make backups from your important files to dvd, if you are worried about data.

Zhenya:
I like the foam. I think I will try something similar, when I switch off my nexus breeze.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:37 pm

andyb wrote:I have a couple of points about the HDD foam.

Its quite well documented that Samsung drives are a few degrees warmer than what they claim (4-5C a guess).

I am far more concerned with NOT loosing my data than a few DB's that I would not ever consider that. However its your data not mine.!!!

If you want HDD bliss and NOT have high temps then you need a laptop HDD, or external HDD (SATA, USB, Firewire, LAN).

Last time i bothered looking, my HDD's hit a high of 38 and I was concerned.

Andy

I am completely comfortable with the temperature of my Samsung drive - it is now stable between 37 and 41 c. Granted, this is in the winter, and ambient temp is ~20c. In the summer, if temperatures become worrisome, I can remove the foam in less than 2 minutes. As ambient noise is higher in the summer (windows open, etc.) the loss of the foam shouldn't be an issue.

A couple of other notes about the drive:
-- I monitor the temperature of my laptop drive as well. It is virtually never below 50c -- generally closer to 60. We have nearly 20 laptops at work that see severe field use, and my experience with these (one failure among 20 laptops in 3 years) has proven to me that by and large, drives are actually quite durable.

--In addition, I've changed my setup slightly since I started this post. I've now moved my larger drives to a file server in the basement, leaving the Samsung as the only drive in the system. This reduced my drive temps on the Samsung by a couple of degrees.

-- Lastly, I EXPECT this drive to fail. You should expect every drive you own to fail, and plan for it. You're asking for trouble if you don't. (not that I believe that 41C temps are significantly stressing a drive). With my server, I now have triple redundancy. If my system drive fails, I replace it and restore my image -- no big deal. It costs me the price of a drive and an hour of time to install it, including restoring the image. This procedure is planned for, and has been tested extensively.

Silenator

Post by Silenator » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:49 am

That is impressive zhenya! It's hard to believe that you can block the front intake and get away with it. There must be a tiny bit of air coming in through the front, around the foam, since the harddrives' temperatures weren't that much higher at all. I will have to try that myself.

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Silenator wrote:That is impressive zhenya! It's hard to believe that you can block the front intake and get away with it. There must be a tiny bit of air coming in through the front, around the foam, since the harddrives' temperatures weren't that much higher at all. I will have to try that myself.
Yes, there probably is a tiny bit of air coming in from the side vents still.

I'm now thinking that the P150 is a perfect candidate for a laptop drive. It'll mount easily in the suspension, and because heat is an almost non-issue for them, you could totally surround the drive with insulation. Not that I need it any quieter than it is now - but if and when I have to replace my drive, that'd be the way I'd go.

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 pm

zhenya wrote:
halfpower wrote:Does that foam help to kill the whoosh noise from your Samsung? If so, where did you get the foam. Is it not helpful to put foam on the underside of the hard drive?
The foam helps tremendously. With it, I have real silence - I can't hear the machine, even seeking, at a distance of about 1 meter. The difference between the machine "on" and "off" is inaudible. However I did not notice any significant improvement from sandwiching the drive with foam on both sides, and as I noted above, temperatures did start to rise quickly.

The foam is leftover scraps from Pelican style cases. Sorry I can't be more specific! We just have lots of it leftover from shipping equipment at work! :D
Completely inaudible? That's impressive. Do you have any ambient noise such as a ventilation system? Seeing as it is not helpful to put foam on the sides, how helpful is the front foam panel?

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:18 pm

halfpower wrote:Completely inaudible? That's impressive. Do you have any ambient noise such as a ventilation system? Seeing as it is not helpful to put foam on the sides, how helpful is the front foam panel?
Very little other ambient noise. My heat is hot water, so no ventilation systems. When the house is quiet the loudest thing is the refridgerator compressor (when on) a couple of rooms away from the office.
The foam front made a huge difference for me. Without it my SP80 drive is clearly audible -- with it, I can't hear the drive at all.

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:39 pm

zhenya wrote: The foam is leftover scraps from Pelican style cases. Sorry I can't be more specific! We just have lots of it leftover from shipping equipment at work! :D
Is it soft foam such as a sponge or is it more like styrofoam?

zhenya

Post by zhenya » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:40 pm

halfpower wrote:
zhenya wrote: The foam is leftover scraps from Pelican style cases. Sorry I can't be more specific! We just have lots of it leftover from shipping equipment at work! :D
Is it soft foam such as a sponge or is it more like styrofoam?
closer to a sponge than styrofoam.

I've actually modified my setup a bit again though. Now I only have my SP-80 drive (my other drives have been moved to a server in the basement) and it is sandwiched tightly on both top and bottom with foam, and I have removed the foam from the front door. The hard drive is just as silent as before, but air is now pulled through the front intake and past the sides of the drive, which are still open to airflow, and out the rear exhaust. This cools the drive by ~3-5C compared to blocking the front intake and putting the foam on top of the drive, while keeping it similarly quiet.