My P150 with PSU Duct [UPDATED AGAIN#2, more pics on page 2]

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nici

My P150 with PSU Duct [UPDATED AGAIN#2, more pics on page 2]

Post by nici » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 pm

Ok this is my system in the P150, i think its been three cases since i posted in the gallery.. oh well.

I´ve ducted the PSU with polycarbonate wich keeps it from ramping up, apart from that i dont think its anything out of the ordinary. I spent about three hours on the duct measuring and bending, cardboard is ten times faster to work on but it doesnt look as cool :lol:

The rear exhaust spins at the lowest setting it starts reliably on wich is about 500rpm, the VF700 is about 1000rpm and the nexus modded 7700Cu is about 450rpm(it gets 12V at startup so it starts reliably).

The Raptor is in the lower part suspended and the Maxtor is inside the mCubed enclosure in the lowest 5,25" bay.

I think i´ve done a pretty good job with the cables, only three zip-ties total :)

The noisiest thing from the back is the Nexus exhaust whooshing, and from the front i can only hear a faint hum from the HDDs. Both drives have pretty sharp seeks so those are audible but i dont mind seek noise.

mobo:DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra-D
CPU: 3700+ San Diego core 1Mb cache
GPU: Sapphire X800GTO, r480 core OCd to 575/530 from 400/500.
Soundcard: ESI Julia@
RAM: 2x 512Mb regular cas2.5 sticks.
HDDs: Raptor74 and Maxtor MaxLineIII 250Gb
PSU: Antec NeoHE 430
Case. Antec P150
ODD: Nec 3250 DVD-RW

temps idle/load:
CPU 40c@load(F@H 24/7)
GPU 38/70
HDDs both idle at 40c after some hours
Chipset 45/50
PWM IC 46c@ load

The pictures are taken with my phone, and for some reason Photobucket resizes and compresses them even though they are under the 512KB limit...

Oh and the LG DVD-RW isnt behind the plate thingie becase thats the furthes it will go. Weird but nothing i can do about it.

I probably forgot something, but i have trouble sleeping and have been up for almost 24 hours so im wuite tired.

Overall this same system is quieter now than what it was in the P180 with Phantom PSU, mainly due to the HDDs being quieter in this case.

Power-draw from the wall-outlet about 180W when folding and running ATItool "Scan for artifacts".

EDIT: After a truckload of shitty problems, it works again. Check page 2 for more pretty pictures! Now with a 3700+ San Diego core and new DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D, and the 2,5" drive is unplugged.

EDIT: Added system specs to post after removing them from the sig.
Last edited by nici on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

theyangster

Re: My P150 with PSU Duct

Post by theyangster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 pm

nici wrote: so im wuite tired.
it shows :)

is the polycarbonate bulletproof? :P
(inside joke between us too)

what kind of foam is that?

good and clean look

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:35 pm

wow, I didnt know females can mod pcs. JK :lol:

so where is your second hard drive in 5.25" bay? btw what is the last picture?

theyangster

Post by theyangster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 pm

I think the poor man has enough to deal with eh Nic...... ? :twisted:
(it's coming back to haunt you!)

anyway to quote him
"the Maxtor is inside the mCubed enclosure in the lowest 5,25" bay."

just noticed that those are cell phone pics,which I must say aren't too blurry and pretty good overall

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:16 pm

theyungster wrote:I think the poor man has enough to deal with eh Nic...... ? :twisted:
(it's coming back to haunt you!)
So it seems... :lol:

Yeah the second HD is in the mCubed vertical silence enclosure wich is pictured in the lowest pic, just without the HD inside.

The foam on the door is pretty dense and thick with a heavy barrier layer in between, its quiete effective against HDD idle noise :)

The foam on the bottom is just normal eggcrate foam meant to be inside speaker enclosures, i just put it there because i think it looks better than the bare metal bottom it doesnt really do much for noise. But for 9,90€ for 5x 40x60(i think) pieces its certanly not expensive..

Btw. i just noticed i forgot to attach the picture of the Chipset.. Never mind the stock cooler on the graphics card in this pic, apart from that its the same card and the same NB47J :) Also taken with phone

And while im at it, i might as well add a couple more picture of the vertical silence with the HDD inside. Ok so just one, since theres no point in posting multiple pictures that look just the same :lol: Image

And a outdoor pic to better show what the phone is capable of.. Ah bollox, it rezized these too, photobucket i mean, the actual phone is a Sony Ericsson K750i wth a 2MP(native res) camera, not a replacement for a real camera but the best phone camera on the market ATM.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/ ... C00013.jpg

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:37 pm

That must be really quiet. Must have been expensive as hell too. Where's your reserator?

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Looks nice and tidy. I'm about to build my P150 so I shall look at your pics for some cable-management tips.

Just wondering about the rear case fan. Does it make much of a difference to your temps? I'm contemplating running my Ninja with a Nexus 120 and no case fans (or maybe no Ninja fan and the Nexus on the rear of the case).

Cams

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Erssa wrote:That must be really quiet. Must have been expensive as hell too. Where's your reserator?
It is really quiet, thats the point :D

Well expensive yes, if i take into account all the cases, PSUs, HDDs and coolers i´ve bought over the past few years. Not really that expensive if i had just bought this and nothing else, its not a high-end rig, its a computer that manages everything i need to do at the moment with a decent price/performance ratio :)

The reserator is under the desk, cant decide if i want to sell it or not.. :?

Cams wrote:Looks nice and tidy. I'm about to build my P150 so I shall look at your pics for some cable-management tips.

Just wondering about the rear case fan. Does it make much of a difference to your temps? I'm contemplating running my Ninja with a Nexus 120 and no case fans (or maybe no Ninja fan and the Nexus on the rear of the case).

Cams
One thing i forgot to say about the cables, i had to cut away the bent edge of the mobo tray, not all of it but where the cables go. The sidepanel would not fit otherwise. It was easy and it doesnt make the case any less sturdy :)

No casefan is a bad idea, theres loads of components that need airflow to keep cool. fanless ninja and a cesefan is better than no casefan and fan on ninja, in other words.

Im going to munt the casefan with silicone string now, i need to keep myself occupied so i dont falll asleep....

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Nici,

nice looking setup. Oh, suites you Sir! oh! :lol:

What kind of glue did you use with that white Biltema soundproofing mat?

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Aleksi wrote:Hi Nici,

nice looking setup. Oh, suites you Sir! oh! :lol:

What kind of glue did you use with that white Biltema soundproofing mat?
Wery nice eh? Though i think Black would suit my personality better. 8) :lol:

Actually i didnt use glue, i used three strips of Biltema foam doublesided tape. Very strong.. Thought of using spray-glue at first, but it would look fugly if i ever removed the foam. Oh wait a minute, i just did :lol: i put some of that eggcrate thing there instead and didnt really notice any difference, but then again im so tired im practically deaf... :roll: Tomorrow i can put the white foam back on and try if i can hear a difference then. :roll: Yes i know i have too much spare time...

spolitta

Post by spolitta » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:11 am

is there any particular reason you have your HD in the mCubed case?

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:30 am

Oh and the LG DVD-RW isnt behind the plate thingie becase thats the furthes it will go. Weird but nothing i can do about it.
Nici..
Have you considered trying fitting the LG in the second lowest bay? (above the mCubed enclosure). It seems like the duct might be blocking it in the bay above. I note that Mike C fit a similar LG DVD into this bay in his recent P150 build, with room for the stealthed opening.

NoizEnvader

Post by NoizEnvader » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:22 am

Nice rig you have there, Niclas. :wink:

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:16 am

spolitta wrote:is there any particular reason you have your HD in the mCubed case?
It lowers idle noise a bit while not really affecting temps at all, enough to be slightly less audible. The rubber mountings are also effective enough so it doesnt transmit any vibrations to the case. Its now quieter than the raptor, wich is a very quiet 3,5" drive at idle. I would probably buy an enclosure for it too but the next shipment of these boxes doesnt arrive untll a in a couple of weeks.. theres no room for a DIY box in this case, at least not for two drives. The bad thing about the P150 is that the crive-cage is not removable, theres no room to put loads of foam around the HDDs. Worked very nicely in the 3700AMB, but overall the P150 is a much nicer case.
ozdoc wrote:Quote:

Nici..
Have you considered trying fitting the LG in the second lowest bay? (above the mCubed enclosure). It seems like the duct might be blocking it in the bay above. I note that Mike C fit a similar LG DVD into this bay in his recent P150 build, with room for the stealthed opening.
Its not the duct, the LG drive has two sets of holes like the drive-rails, two different depths and two different heights, its placed in the holes that place it further in.. I just checked it to be absolutely shure. Its the LG 4167RB wich should be the most recent model. Here´s a couple of pictures, sorry i forgot to rotate the second one... :oops:

Anyway you can see the mCubed enclosure here, the drive should be at the same level but its not..

I pulled the drive out a bit in the first pic to show the screw.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:17 am

Ok i just made the duct look better.. I took the 3,5" drive thingie faceplate and put some speakercloth over it and mounted it. Took about two minutes and looks much better :D And now i took the picture at VGA res so it doesnt get resized and still be too big according to forum rules. Here you go, what do you think? :)

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:07 am

Its not the duct, the LG drive has two sets of holes like the drive-rails, two different depths and two different heights, its placed in the holes that place it further in.. I just checked it to be absolutely shure. Its the LG 4167RB wich should be the most recent model. Here´s a couple of pictures, sorry i forgot to rotate the second one...
Speaker cloth looks good.

From the close up pic of the drive rail it looks like it has a horizontal slot at the front, not a hole. Can't you slide the the LG further back in the slot? (ie. the front of the drive rail would now be sitting closer to the LG face plate), then insert the drive rails as usual?
Is the rear opening on the drive rail a hole or horizontal slot?

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:22 am

ozdoc wrote: Speaker cloth looks good.

From the close up pic of the drive rail it looks like it has a horizontal slot at the front, not a hole. Can't you slide the the LG further back in the slot? (ie. the front of the drive rail would now be sitting closer to the LG face plate), then insert the drive rails as usual?
Is the rear opening on the drive rail a hole or horizontal slot?
Thanks.

*bangs head against the wall* Dont put together computers when tired.. Its a hole, not a slot, as is the drive-rails. The thing is that my logic might have been a bit flawed when i mounted the drive, the other holes on the driverails put it further in :oops: Should have been obvious when looking at the enclosure since it was further in, the mounting holes are standardized after all.. doh :oops:

ozdoc

Post by ozdoc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:36 am

Good news.! ... I'll be able to sleep a lot better now.
The truth is, I did the same myself on a 3000B. Don't tell anyone.
Antec drive rails.... need to come with decent instructions.

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:51 am

ozdoc wrote:Good news.! ... I'll be able to sleep a lot better now.
Plenty of time to sleep when yer dead mate :lol:
ozdoc wrote: The truth is, I did the same myself on a 3000B. Don't tell anyone.
I wont, promise :wink:
ozdoc wrote: Antec drive rails.... need to come with decent instructions.
Instructions are for life-treathening emergencies only, right? :roll:

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:59 am

Ok i didnt move the drive backwards, instead i covered the two remaining slots with speaker cloth too because i think it would look odd with just one slot covered in cloth :) As a bonus it makes my P150 a little more black :lol:

Oh and i really need to get a proper camera.. i managed to break the old one so i only have the phone now.

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Looks good with the all-black front, nici.

niels007

Post by niels007 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:46 am

stylish!

Can you see a change in PSU rpm with the speaker cloth over the intake? I used it once.. pretty but temps rose by 10 to 15c :(

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:06 am

Nice looking case, with that black front it bear a close resemblance to a B/W Nexus fan.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:34 am

You inspire me to do great things :wink:

*get's out cardboard :lol: *

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:18 am

realy nice work, ive been thinking about getting the P150 but it takes a while for my to spend that much cash (im cheep). it all looks so attractive, not all full of duct tape like mine.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:15 am

Thanks for all the comments :)

Now today when i was at the computer store i ran across this temperature monitoring thing, three probes and it cost me 15€. So i got one and tested it for an hour or something, then decided to make it black.

Now for the love of some non religious character i cant see why that tiny PCB need a huge aluminium box for, but at least it works.

Heres what we need

No theres something missing.. Ah the asennuskalja (installation-beer) of course!

Now to work..

Ok so now i have a black thing to monitor my case and psu temps, woohoo! NOT!

I install it in the case and it works fine, i put the front and side panels on and get ready to take some pictures. Now at this point my fancy freshly painted black monitoring thingie with a blue display goes poopoo, starts showing temps all between 0c and 88c, blinking randomly at different temps and eventually getting stuck on one temp or the display just fooked up with half of the characters showing up. unplug it and plug it in again, doesnt help. do the same thing again, YAY it works! for a minute, then its the same sheit all over again.

So i take it out of the case, too pissed off to take any pictures of it in the case, and it works again. then it goes bonkers again!

Now i didnt expect that much of a product wich has
"Special premonitory funtion, via when CPU HDD any SYS is overheats, the buzzer will sound a beeper for warning" written on the box, but at least it should show the religious character of choice damn temps... :x

rant over. back to the shop tomorrow, hope they dont mind i painted it. after all the warranty woid if removed sticker was at the other end of the box :lol:

And to whoever asked if the speaker cloth increased the temps, i dont think so. Its designed to be unrestrictive after all. And besides the duct also gets air from the side openings in the case, so i could actually just not have the faceplate with a hole there and have it just sucking air from the sides.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:22 am

Now for the love of some non religious character i cant see why that tiny PCB need a huge aluminium box for, but at least it works.
If you don't want it, can I have it (the aluminium box)? Looks like it would make a great hard drive enclosure.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:56 am

jaganath wrote:
If you don't want it, can I have it (the aluminium box)? Looks like it would make a great hard drive enclosure.
My first thought when opening the box was that it could be made into an enclosure for a HD :) You could suspend a 2,5" drive in there easily, and still have plenty of room for damping material. My Stanley LifeGuard Yellow blade clad with DuPont MYLAR Polyester Film(made in U.S.A.), at least 30years old now(honestly, it used to be my grampas and he died 30 years ago), measures that its slightly too short for a 3,5" drive, though you could mount it the other way, its wide enough i think.

Im taking it back to the store and hope i get a new one though.. If they for some reason wont accept it, i can ask when my friends shift at the store starts.. He should be pretty cooperative :lol:

Darxus

Post by Darxus » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:21 pm

Nice. I really like what you did with the speaker cloth, and I look forward to seeing what the whole case looks like in black :P

Most importantly, where do you get the polycarbonate? I need some of that.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:14 pm

I get the polycarbonate at the local industrial rubber and plastics store, they sell anything from mudflap-rubber and glues/chemicals to all kinds of plastic and rubber sheets in different sizes and colors. Teollisuus-etola its called. wont find these stores outside Finland though as far as i know, but there has to be something similar in every country. I mean if we have a store like this there must be a store like it in all other countries too :lol:

Back on topic, after some serious rubbing with not quite optimal chemicals i got the paint removed from the monitoring thingie. Ill take it back tomorrow and ask for a new one wich will hopefully work for more than a minute... :roll: