Silverstone TJ-08 Build and Review

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

stonyc

Silverstone TJ-08 Build and Review

Post by stonyc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:17 pm

Finished with cabling for now, trust me, it's 100% better than it was. :)

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

First pic is from the side, with the second shot being a close-up (you can see how close the SATA and power cables are to the Ninja... yikes).

Third pic is from the other side, there's not alot of room to hide/tuck cables away but I think I managed alright. You can see a nice gouge near the top on this side, argh!!!... happened when I was trying to put the panel back on and didn't have one of the guides aligned correctly.

Fourth and fifth pics are from the back and front, respectively... the case came with a metal grill on the back that I didn't want restricting flow, so I took it off. Front of the case also had the same grill, but was harder to get off because the front panel had to be unscrewed in order to get to it (one of my main peeves with this case).

Last pic is of the greatest unknown tool to computer modders, until now... I present to you, the surgical hemostat clamp. :) Got it from my wife (just finishing up her first year of residency. House husband here I come! T-minus 2 years, 2 months and counting...) and it's awesome for getting into hard to reach areas, pull wires/ties through tight spaces, etc. It can be locked closed as well (with the barbs near the handles) so zip ties can be mounted in hard to reach places but with the hemostat you're still able to pull on the ties securely.

Pros:
- quality finish, understated but looks like it cost $100 (which it did)
- removable motherboard tray absolutely critical for such a cramped working space (see hemostat)
- good flow (2x120mm fans), able to run a Ninja in passive mode

Cons:
- front panel difficult to remove, especially for those with stubby fingers :)
- location of hard drive cage makes using a large heatsink difficult
- motherboard tray doesn't slide out the back, rather it gets tilted in from the side... makes larger heatsinks difficult to install
- most edges are rolled, but when I took off the fans to swap them out a couple knuckles were bloodied by the exposed edges of the mount
- expensive! as mentioned previously, the TJ-08 shares the same chassis with an Athenatech (though with 80mm fan mounts) that could be modded to match the TJ-08 at about half the cost

Built this comp for my wife to use for e-mail, browsing, VPN, light gaming and music... however, it was originally in an Aspire X-QPack. I became unhappy with the cooling and dust-catching ability of the thin slats the Aspire used for intakes. The TJ-08 was definitely roomier, and in the early pics from Silverstone, air flow seemed much more free... it didn't hurt that it looked pretty nice too.

Ordered from Newegg, and immediately started dismantling it out of the box. Removed the included fan grills and plugged in some Yate-Loons for intake/exhaust... while I was originally pleased with the removable mobo tray, I was a little disappointed to find out that the case wouldn't accomodate the Ninja except by clipping it on after the mobo tray was reinstalled. Mentioned it before, but I figure this might save some people the hassle later... the location of the hdd tray/drives made it impossible to use the ninja with standard SATA cables. I ended up buying some elbowed cables, and while they still touch the ninja, it doesn't seem to be putting any excessive pressure on the heatsink. I also tried a Zalman 7000cu and it was almost as cramped with the regular cables, though I was able to fit it on the mobo before reinstalling the tray into the case (with some wiggling). A word about the fans and cooling... even with the Yate-Loons running at 12V, the comp is pretty quiet... the hard drive seeks seem much louder than the fans. At lower volts, the hard drive seeks are about the only things that I can hear (desk is about 2-2.5 below my ears). Although the SATA and power cables touch the Ninja, the comp idles right around 30C (see specs below).

Overall, I think the case has a few flaws that are relatively easy to work around/with... a smaller heatsink would work fine in this case (had an extra Ninja and wanted to put it to use, even passively, if I could). While cable management can be tricky, it's probably no more tricky than in most other mATX cases out there... although the modular cables helped, my PSU took up a good chunk of room. A shorter optical drive might be helpful here. And finally... the front panel, though difficult to remove, is definitely quality. While a cheaper alternative to the TJ-08 can be had with some modding, the overal quality and finish of the case may make that extra $50 worth it for some.

Specs:
DFI RS482 mATX Infinity Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice (stock)
Antec Neo HE 500 (left over from a previous build)
1GB Corsair Value RAM
250GB Seagate 7200.8
ATI Radeon X550 256MB
2x120mm Yate-Loon D12SL-12
Last edited by stonyc on Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Nice build and nice photos.
Last edited by frankgehry on Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

stonyc

Post by stonyc » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:43 pm

frankgehry wrote:Nice build and nice photos. For some reason the photos weren't showing up on my browser. They may have been too large or maybe it was something on my end. I'll remove my post when you get the pictures up. I really wanted to see them.
Thanks!

Weird, I checked my post from another comp at home and they were fine... I'll check again at work tomorrow though.

peterson

Post by peterson » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Beautiful build!

xinzhitan14

Post by xinzhitan14 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:22 am

nice build mate! how loud is the power supply? the NeoHE's have dual 80mm's. i went for a neopower because it was a 120mm and was VERY quiet.

stonyc

Post by stonyc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:30 am

xinzhitan14 wrote:nice build mate! how loud is the power supply? the NeoHE's have dual 80mm's. i went for a neopower because it was a 120mm and was VERY quiet.
It's not bad... I think the PSU fan is pretty much the loudest thing that I can hear after the hard drive. Being in that space under the desk helps with that..

stonyc

Post by stonyc » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:31 am

frankgehry wrote:Nice build and nice photos. For some reason the photos weren't showing up on my browser. They may have been too large or maybe it was something on my end. I'll remove my post when you get the pictures up. I really wanted to see them.
I'm at work now and the pics are showing up fine.. bleh, I just copy/pasted the links from imageshack, hmmmm.

xinzhitan14

Post by xinzhitan14 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:43 am

stonyc wrote:
xinzhitan14 wrote:nice build mate! how loud is the power supply? the NeoHE's have dual 80mm's. i went for a neopower because it was a 120mm and was VERY quiet.
It's not bad... I think the PSU fan is pretty much the loudest thing that I can hear after the hard drive. Being in that space under the desk helps with that..
hmm thats alright.. now i dont feel as bad not getting the smart power 2.0 500w.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:48 am

stonyc,

I had just downloaded a trial version of zonealarm pro that prevented the photos from showing up. I could still see photos in other posts, but my mistake. - FG

winguy

Re: Silverstone TJ-08 Build and Review

Post by winguy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:00 am

stonyc wrote:Cons:
Motherboard layout (CPU socket position) plays a part too. On some boards you would have ~1cm additional clearance. :)

koegs

Post by koegs » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:17 am

Got my TJ08 yesterday.

Intel D101GGC Mainboard + Arctic Freezer 7 Pro = 1,5cm clearance to hdd

But still it is a great case, considering to get another on for my AMD system.

stonyc

Re: Silverstone TJ-08 Build and Review

Post by stonyc » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:46 am

winguy wrote:
stonyc wrote:Cons:
Motherboard layout (CPU socket position) plays a part too. On some boards you would have ~1cm additional clearance. :)
Yep, you're right... though the DFI board that I used was actually the second I tried. The first, a mATX foxconn board that I had before had the same issues with clearance.

winguy

Post by winguy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:00 am

What are the 2 fans that are bundled with the case? Got a picture of the full front with the panel off?

stonyc

Post by stonyc » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 am

I'll check the model numbers back home, but I believe the fans the case came with were these.

I didn't think to take pics with the front panel off when I switched out the front fan, sorry about that.

EDIT: Silverstone Modle SFA1225LU-12A DC 12V 0.07AMP

pedro

Post by pedro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:01 am

Nice build. Thanks for posting pics.

Anyone know if the new Asus M2NPV-VM with a Ninja will fit in one of these babies? Is the CPU socket in more or less the same spot?

winguy

Post by winguy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:12 am

pedro wrote:Nice build. Thanks for posting pics.

Anyone know if the new Asus M2NPV-VM with a Ninja will fit in one of these babies? Is the CPU socket in more or less the same spot?
Why wouldn't it fit? It is more or less in the same spot. :)

The Asus M2NPV-VM looks good on paper. The northbridge HS uses hooks though, and no holes for mounting a HS on the southbridge.

pedro

Post by pedro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:05 pm

winguy wrote:The Asus M2NPV-VM looks good on paper. The northbridge HS uses hooks though, and no holes for mounting a HS on the southbridge.
Cheers.

I don't mind about not being able to put something on the south bridge. But... the hooks? What does this mean? Does it mean I can't put on my trusty Zalman ZM-NB47J?

Anyone know something about these hooks? I've never seen them before.

:?:

winguy

Post by winguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Newegg is your friend pal. :)

Asus's site actually shows too.

pedro

Post by pedro » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Yeah, I've looked at the pics. I still don't know if I'll be able to install my trusty Zalman ZM-NB47J. Anyone know if this chipset heatsink is compatible with 'hooks'.

Also, I want to put a Zalman CNPS8000 low profile cooler on there as I won't have a lot of room to play with. Anyone know if the heatpipes will cover any RAM slots. I don't want this. I've checked both the Zalman and Asus sites for specs but it's still iffy. Anyone know for sure that the CNPS8000 will NOT cover RAM slots.

Cheers.

SLOTh

Post by SLOTh » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:42 am

teomilke wrote:Awesome system, love what youve done.

Personally i dont undestand why mATX isn't more accepted. Personally I prefer smaller cases.

Most people use 1 or 2 slots on their motherboard (On mine all i have plugged into a slot is my VGA card).

Why do we need motherboards with 7 slots when 4 will do nicely for almost everyone.

Again, very impressed with the build. :D
well i use all five slots in my media center box:

2 tv tuners
1 gigabit network card
1 audegy 2 zs
1 promise raid controler

VGA is in use as well of course :P

but i am not most people...

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:15 pm

teomilke wrote:Awesome system, love what youve done.

Personally i dont undestand why mATX isn't more accepted. Personally I prefer smaller cases.

Most people use 1 or 2 slots on their motherboard (On mine all i have plugged into a slot is my VGA card).

Why do we need motherboards with 7 slots when 4 will do nicely for almost everyone.

Again, very impressed with the build. :D
There is a box here that uses every slot

Graphics card
Sound card
Modem
SCSI RAID controller
Crypto Accelerator card
Additional Network card
Additional I/O controller card for data acquisition and control

Granted it isn't your everyday box but I haven't used or built a machine yet that didn't have at least 3-4 slots filled with one type of card or another (with the exception of low profile rack mounts). :)

jvrobert

Post by jvrobert » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:26 pm

I'm seriously considering one of these. A question...

Would an Ultra-120 fit in this? It looks like it would solve the clearance problem with the HD (even with a fan) since it's narrow, right?

Height wise, it's like 1cm taller than the Ninja - is there that much extra clearance on your guys' where this would fit?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:33 am

SLOTh wrote:
teomilke wrote:
well i use all five slots in my media center box:

2 tv tuners
1 gigabit network card
1 audegy 2 zs
1 promise raid controler

VGA is in use as well of course :P

but i am not most people...
But if you had a new MB then you would have most of those onboard :) and you could get a Dual TV card ;)

jvrobert

Post by jvrobert » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:52 am

teomilke wrote:I think although yes, an ultra is thinner, one you add a fan onto it( im assuming you will, its not a passive-designed heatsink).

Anyways once you add a fan, you're increasing the size and it might come awfully close like the ninja, im just saying, be wary.
You're right, it would be close. Ninja is 110mm wide, so let's say 55 per side centered over the CPU. Ultra-120 is only ~64mm wide, so 32mm centered per side. Add in a fan at 25mm and it's 57mm, so it would be very close. Of course, I could try putting the fan on the other side (in pull mode, which may work sufficiently if I have a front intake fan.

I'm also considering putting the HD in the 5.25 bay above, I wonder if that would solve the problem.

DonQ

Post by DonQ » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:38 pm

Hey can you tell us the TDP (with Tcasemax app?) and idle/load temps of your CPU and RPMs of the rear fan? Thanks.

I have the same case and same rear fan but I replaced my NeoHE 430 with an ST30NF. I have an Opteron 152, 44.1W that I would like to run passively with a Ninja.