First-ever Water-Cooled Computer

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

First-ever Water-Cooled Computer

Post by thetoad30 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:50 pm

These are some pics of my first-ever water-cooled computer.

WARNING: The links to the original images (accessed by clicking on the pictures) are VERY LARGE - 2mb to 4mb in size.

These are the main components.
MCP655 from Swiftech, MAZE4 GPU, Storm R2, and Swiftech Pass-through Kit which wasn't used due to it's 3/8" ID Size (was advertised as 1/2").

Close-up of the pump and the MAZE4GPU. I went with the Acetal version, but I'm seriously considering the brass top as the plastic just isn't that strong.

Close-up of the Storm R2 and the Pass-through Kit.

Close-up of the MAZE4GPU and the Storm R2.

The best part of the system in my opinion: The ThermoChill PA160.

The reverse side of the PA160 with shroud attached.

ThermoChill PA160 attached to P180 case exaughst.

The Nexus fan I had required me to remove all 4 of the closed corners - needless to say this was a PITA and I did end up cracking the fan case. However, no noticeable noise has resulted from this, and the radiator is held strong.

Finished piping.

More finished piping.

Even more finished piping.

Close-up of the pump. Cabling is a bit messy right now, but it's the best I can get it at the moment. I'm looking into mounting the pump to the chassis with 3M-type hook tape - the kind that the Illinois IPASS uses to mount the transponder to the windshield. I want the pump to be removable in case I need to get in and out of the system.

This just shows the size of the radiator compared to the rest of the case. It also shows off the T-line that I have installed.

Trunks

Post by Trunks » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:42 am

nice.

do you think that big tubing is really helping with the size of your radiator?
is it a method to not use a resevior?
What is the flow rate of that pump?
What are your temps like?

xinzhitan14

Post by xinzhitan14 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:31 am

wow nice setup. how loud is the pump?? i heard the big water pump and it was fcking loud. so i never went to Water.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 am

Trunks wrote:nice.

do you think that big tubing is really helping with the size of your radiator?
is it a method to not use a resevior?
What is the flow rate of that pump?
What are your temps like?
I think the tubing is probably overkill, but it lets everything flow very smoothly, and it fits in my rig, so it's worth it. I'm using 7/16" ID hose.

The T-Line is so I don't have to use a reservoir. I will be moving the computer around here and there so I didn't want a point of massive leaking. Plus, all the reservoirs I looked at were all made of plastic, which is understandable, but from what I've heard they all have the potential to leak.

The flow rate of the pump is quoted at 317 GPH (1200 LPH). I don't have a flow meter on the setup, but I would have to say that it probably runs between half and 3/4 of that with the storm block in there.

My temps are fantastic to me. The main reason I switched to water cooling was for the GPU, since I have the X800GTO2 modded and overclocked. I was having a hard time keeping the chip cool and quiet at the same time, as it was pumping out a lot of heat.

I went from 45C idle to 38C idle on the GPU. Load went from 70-80C and now stays around 48C. I had been using 540/590 on the card, but now, if I want to, I can run 600/600 and the temps stay at 48C. I don't, however, since I don't want to fry my chip. I run 575/600.

My CPU really didn't improve in idle temps that much from my Ninja. It idles right around 35C now, where I was idling at around 38-40C with the Ninja. Load, however, is a different story. The chip barely gets above 45C at load, and that's when the graphics chip is full tilt. My Ninja kept the CPU around 60C at load.

All in all, I would say a success!

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 am

xinzhitan14 wrote:wow nice setup. how loud is the pump?? i heard the big water pump and it was fcking loud. so i never went to Water.
After you get the air out of the system, the pump is extremely quiet even at full setting.

I'm sitting here next to my computer which is roughly 3/4 of a meter away from me and down to the right. It has 2 Nexus fans (one intake at 750RPM and one exaughst at 1016RPM) and a TriCool in the hard drive bay on low.

I can hear a very mild low frequency hum, but I'm not sure if that's the pump, the hard drives, or the fans. I stop the fans, and they seem to be making most the noise. I haven't fastened the pump down yet, either, but I'm thinking it may be up against the side of the case making resonance occur.

But, my mini- fridge is over a meter away, and I can clearly hear that over the computer.

When I sleep, the wind blowing outside my window more than drowns out the computer.

Great temps and quiet? I honestly didn't think it was possible. This pump is amazingly quiet, but the best part is that it's still on full tilt. If I got really sensitive to sound some day, I could even turn it down with the adjuster!

matva

Post by matva » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:09 pm

kewl, how much did all the watercooling parts cost you?

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:17 pm

I think after shipping and taxes, I am up around $390. I'm going to be adding at least $20 more for the brass top to the MAZE4GPU this summer.

However, at least $20 of that was mistake buying, as the Pass-through kit was not able to be used, and I mis-ordered the amount of hose clamps so I had to pay lots of extra shipping on one bag.

I also ordered the Zerex coolant, which I haven't really even used. I am running all copper, so I am probably fine with just distilled water, but I am adding small amounts of the Zerex to prevent algae.

armystud0911

Post by armystud0911 » Wed May 03, 2006 1:14 am

thetoad30 wrote: The T-Line is so I don't have to use a reservoir. I will be moving the computer around here and there so I didn't want a point of massive leaking. Plus, all the reservoirs I looked at were all made of plastic, which is understandable, but from what I've heard they all have the potential to leak.
I am not sure where you are hearing that reservoirs are a point of massive leaking, the only times when they do leak are when they are poorly made or improperly installed and the same risk applies to any componant in your loop. Even a T line will leak if its not properly sealed.
Also, if you are looking for sturdier reservoirs there are all kinds of metal ones out there, like here http://tinyurl.com/ggbzd
The flow rate of the pump is quoted at 317 GPH (1200 LPH). I don't have a flow meter on the setup, but I would have to say that it probably runs between half and 3/4 of that with the storm block in there.
I can guarantee you that you aren't getting over 50% flowrate esp with that storm, more like 30-40% to be realistic.
I also ordered the Zerex coolant, which I haven't really even used. I am running all copper, so I am probably fine with just distilled water, but I am adding small amounts of the Zerex to prevent algae.
Distilled is a good choice, but I have used zerex and it will only hurt your performance, also putting very small amounts of it in your loop won't really help that much with algea, you will need about 5% in there. I would recommend that you put a few drops of alcohol free iodine in your loop and you'll be good to go, plus with zerex, everything in your loop turns purple/pink after a few weeks, even if you put so little in there that you can't see it under normal operation.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Thu May 04, 2006 5:15 pm

armystud0911 wrote: I am not sure where you are hearing that reservoirs are a point of massive leaking, the only times when they do leak are when they are poorly made or improperly installed and the same risk applies to any componant in your loop. Even a T line will leak if its not properly sealed.
Also, if you are looking for sturdier reservoirs there are all kinds of metal ones out there, like here http://tinyurl.com/ggbzd
I will be moving my computer around probably 4 times a year or more. I haven't found a well-enough constructed reservoir that has a water-tight seal on the fill port that will hold to massive stresses when I use the pipe-clamps.
armystud0911 wrote:
I can guarantee you that you aren't getting over 50% flowrate esp with that storm, more like 30-40% to be realistic.
I sure think I'm getting more than that. I was looking at the flow with just the MAZE4GPU in there when I first got the setup, and the water flow looks to be around the same... I say that with how fast some air flows through the system when I am bleeding it. But being that I don't have a flow-meter I have no idea.
armystud0911 wrote:
Distilled is a good choice, but I have used zerex and it will only hurt your performance, also putting very small amounts of it in your loop won't really help that much with algea, you will need about 5% in there. I would recommend that you put a few drops of alcohol free iodine in your loop and you'll be good to go, plus with zerex, everything in your loop turns purple/pink after a few weeks, even if you put so little in there that you can't see it under normal operation.
My case isn't for showing off the guts, so I don't care. The real reason for the coolant is to prevent algae. I am slowly adding more and more, but I noticed after adding a little bit, I have ceased to lose water from the system. I don't know if it's filling the pores of the hosing or what, but it did the trick. I have also noticed that it actually DROPPED my temps by a good 2-5C in the system for the same air temp. So it did something, or maybe I just got lucky.

armystud0911

Post by armystud0911 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:33 am

thetoad30 wrote: I will be moving my computer around probably 4 times a year or more. I haven't found a well-enough constructed reservoir that has a water-tight seal on the fill port that will hold to massive stresses when I use the pipe-clamps.

This isn't a bash at all, but I take my PC into work at least once a week, as I have for the past year and I haven't had any problems with it leaking. Whether or not you want a res is totally up to you and I am not trying to convince you that my way is the only way to go, my shuttle has a plain old T-line in it. It just takes about a day or so to bleed, so I can't go switching hardware around like I normally do.
thetoad wrote: I sure think I'm getting more than that. I was looking at the flow with just the MAZE4GPU in there when I first got the setup, and the water flow looks to be around the same... I say that with how fast some air flows through the system when I am bleeding it. But being that I don't have a flow-meter I have no idea.
Like you said, you have no flow meter, so I can't unequivicaly state that I know your rate of flow. If you truly are, then wonderful, I have never seen someone get over 2.5gpm with either Laing/Swiftech/DD pump on the market when used with the storm. I have even seen tests done with 700GPH pumps with over 15' of head pressure that didn't get over 2.5GPM when used with the storm, and they didnt even have a Maze 4 in the loop. The resistance curve on that block is incredible due its inpingement jets.
thetoad wrote: My case isn't for showing off the guts, so I don't care. The real reason for the coolant is to prevent algae. I am slowly adding more and more, but I noticed after adding a little bit, I have ceased to lose water from the system. I don't know if it's filling the pores of the hosing or what, but it did the trick. I have also noticed that it actually DROPPED my temps by a good 2-5C in the system for the same air temp. So it did something, or maybe I just got lucky.
Thats wonderful that your temps dropped like that, and I am not going to give you a hard time for using it, its good for keeping algea out of the loop. However, if there is one thing I cannot stand, it is ignorence on forums where new people are trying to learn. So please don't go telling others that have questions that they should "add zerex to their loop because it will drop their temps". Scientificaly, nothing will cool your loop like straight H20, its specific heat, conductivity, and viscosity are by far the best of all liquids suitible for a WC'ing loop. Now, the reason why zerex is marketed as an additive that "improves cooling performance" is because it lowers the boiling point of the water its mixed with. In engines, where it was designed to be used, it actually does improve performance because the water is often times heated upto boiling temp. I have done an extensive amount of research on different additives and their effects on watercooling loops and out of all the different types, inc. water wetter, zerex, rmi-25, purple ice, neo keep cool, swiftech hydrex and pro blend 40 below to name a few, nothing cooled like straight, distilled H2O. As for algeacide, I have heard of many people complaining about getting algea in their loops with just about every type of additive except just a few drops of iodine. Now there are many who can use nothing but distilled water and not get so much as a clouded hose after over a year of operation so dealing with algea can be very subjective.

Also, water levels ussualy cease to drop when all the air is removed the water in your loop, with all the turbulence in a WC loop, the air trapped in the water surfaces quickly. If you put fish in that water, they would prolly sufficate before they were poisoned.

As for the temp drop, I truly don't know why it happened, it may have even been because of some highly sophisticated side effect of adding zerex to the loop. It could also be due to your thermalpaste curing on your blocks, I really don't know but just about every time I have seen someone come out and say that their temps dropped because of something they added, they withhold something else they did, such as reseating a block, ect. I am not saying this to come down on you or insult you in any way, I understand that you didnt add it improve your temps but to prevent algea. It just really bothers when I see threads saying "I added water wetter and my temps dropped 6C!" and then in every thread when people ask for advice they insist on using said product. I have used most of them, I have no bias other than scientific fact backed by real world results.

Either way, you've chosen some excellent hardware for that loop, I wish I had a storm but they weren't around when I built my first rig and there was a massive shortage when I did my second one. That pump is also very good as well, it is obvious that you did your homework before setting up your loop and I am sure that it has and will, give you excellent performance.