finally have a quiet computer again

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sparkytfl

finally have a quiet computer again

Post by Sparkytfl » Fri May 19, 2006 2:28 pm

I replaced my pentium 4 northwood and radeon 9800 system with an x2 3800 and all in wonder x1800 back in november. Unfortunately I went through a string of crappy unstable motherboards, a bad video card whose problems I blamed other things for, crap like that. Was never able to connect up my reserator since I was having to change parts too frequently. Finally I've got my system working the way it should have been.

I originally put the chipset water block on, but the mounting tabs were a bit long, touched something, and fried the board. It's replacement has the blue zalman heatsink instead.

Board is idling at around 30c, cpu at 32c, video card at 45c. Haven't had time to really stress test it yet.

x2 3800
radeon all in wonder x1800xl
asus a8n5x
two nexus 120s
reserator, zalman nb heatsink
seasonic s12 500w

Big annoyance though is in that time, my old monitor died, and this one I bought from a friend buzzes pretty loud when light backgrounds are displayed. My old one was totally quiet.

justblair

Post by justblair » Fri May 19, 2006 5:49 pm

Thats a neat looking setup. I was a bit sceptical on the TT case when I saw it in the shop. The other day a work colleague brought his in and I have to say my mind is changing on it.

Full marks for neatness.

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Fri May 19, 2006 11:40 pm

There is one thing I canm't stand about this case. The vibration caused by the harddrives echos everythere because the alluminum is so thin.

Sparkytfl

Post by Sparkytfl » Sat May 20, 2006 7:18 am

Yeah, the drives were a lot quieter in my last case, but that was cheap and had no ps shelf, so the heavy seasonic pulled out on the back of the case putting stress on my video and sound cards.

I also bought a sleeving kit for the power lines, but need to order a pin extractor. Had no trouble using a screwdriver to get the conenctors off a different supply, but this one I just can't get 'em.