nici

Lian-Li 6077, it´s black. [UPDATE: HR-05-SLI on the Chipset

Post by nici » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:29 pm

I hate thinking of thread titles... :P

case: Lian-Li 6077b, my first Lian-Li :) No "humm" after my treatment.. :wink:
cpu: 3500+ winchester, AC Freezer 64.
mobo: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D with Thermalright HR-05 SLI
ram: 2x512Mb cheapo
GPU: X300SE 64Mb, the cheapest passive card i could find.
hdd: Samsung 250Gb sata, ATM external and connected with a shielded cable. It´s external because i needs to test some enclosures and i can´t hear the HDD from inside the case. mCubed Vertical Silence enclosure as im writing this.
soundcard: ESI Juli@
ODD: samsung dvd-rw lightscribe, though i ahve no use for lightscribe..
psu: NeoHE 430, ducted to top fan hole.
fans: 2x 80mm Nexus.

Temps,

CPU: folding 24/7 it stays at 46°c. The latest BIOS update included a CPU temp sensor calibration option, it is now showing the same temp as the hottest part of the exposed bit of the heatspreader, i adjusted it +8°c.
GPU: 45°c on the heatsink.
Chipset: 52°c measured from the heatsink.
intake air: 24°c
exhaust air: 36°c
PSU exhaust: 34°c
VRM: 51°c

The HDD is external ATM because im going to do the enclosure roundup, i can´t compare noise if its inside the case because i cant hear the HDD from there :roll:

There´s a lot of BeQuiet! damping in this one, most of the surfaces also has a 4mm layer of bitumen under the Be-Quiet stuff.

The case has a bottom intake so i made a front for it out of 6mm polycarbonate and put some tinting film on the inside, matches the hifi quite nicely 8)

Putting the stuff inside..

Putting the film on, thats a 4mm piece of scrap acrylic. I remade it out of some 6mm PC scrap wich is better :) There´s still wrinkles in it after four tries, oh well it´s the cheapest film i could find...
ImageImage

As i said, lots of damping material.. :)
ImageImageImageImage

The chipset and the Titan fan, its running about 1500RPM and is inaudible. Heatsink mounted with nuts and bolts. where can i buy spare pushpins?

ImageImage

Without a fan running, on idle

Polycarbonate duct for PSU, intake from top hole.

Spooky reflection of me, viewer discretion advised... :lol:

CPU heatsink, running 750rpm and it's inaudible.

ImageImage

Bottom part

The soundcard

More reflections

Outside views, didn´t really get a proper picuter of the front panel. Its black, but you can see thru it if theres light inside the case. ATM i don´t have any light in there :)

You can see the wrinkles here... :oops: The pic is way too unclear too.

Rear view, the fans are running about 950rpm and the PSU is not ramping up. Barely audible. Fan grilles cut out.

HDD, mCubed Vertical Silence enclosure as im writing this. External temporarily and only because im comparing enclosures and i can´t hear the HDD from inside the case!

Im happy with how it turned out, it´s just barely audible from 1m away where im sitting and IMo it looks great inside and out :) The case itself was a pleasure to work with, very easy cable management, top exhaust ready for PSU duct, plenty of space, removable mobo tray, and i didn´t cut myself even once! :shock: No aluminium humming, though it´s realy no surprise considering the fact that i added more damping material to the case than what it originally weighed :mrgreen:

I probably forgot some vital information again, as i usually do.

Oh, here´s a pic of a frog that i took a couple days ago.

edit: added typos and a less stupid title. edit on edit: I don´t have anything else to do so i changed the title again. :roll:

edit:
Last edited by nici on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:22 am

Nice setup, so if I get this right all the air is coming from the bottom and the top? You could maybe try to suspend the hdd in the case somewhere... (personally I couldn't live with a hd that's not in the case :lol: everything needs to be integrated :twisted: )

Nice frog too, looks poisonous to me 8)

openwheelformula1

Post by openwheelformula1 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 am

I am guessing that's a Harmon Kardon receiver? What kind of soundcard is it?

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:58 am

Oopsie. I thought i mentioned it but apparently not. I have the HDD external because i test some enclosures, i can´t hear the HDD from inside the case so need to have it outside to be able to compare noise...Silly really :P I added that to the original post.

I also added the soundcard, its an ESI Juli@.

I had my browser crash a few times while posting this thread so i had to start over a few times and didn´t remember to add everything again... :roll:

The airflow is from bottom to the back and the top is ducted to the PSU, yes. It actually works really well, and theres no direct path for noise to escape in the front :) I tried blocking the rear holes and only using the top as exhaust, temps were about the same, but the PSU ate up most of the hot air and ramped up so i skipped taht idea pretty fast.

And yes you are almost right, it is harman/kardon but its not a receiver :wink: It´s a HK970 integrated amp and a HD970 cd-player :) I have the output of the soundcard connected to the amp, and once i get a turntable i´ll connect that to the computer thru the amp :)

What do you think about the front of the case? It´s 5,40€ worth of polycarbonate coated with some very nasty and cheap film, sounds prestigeous doesn´t it :lol: I think ill just paint it black from the inside, that wont be transparent but i wont have any damn bubbles and wrinkles in it.. Painting it from the inside will give it a mirror finish. Polycarbonate is not as slippery as glass even when wet, so adding the film is very hard. But look at the bright side, the front of my case is bulletproof!

And we don´t get anything as exciting as posonous frogs in Finland.. :lol:
Last edited by nici on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sando

Post by sando » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:15 am

Yeah, finding wild animals that can kill you is really quite a challenge in northern europe.

Slick build btw.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:25 am

sando wrote:Yeah, finding wild animals that can kill you is really quite a challenge in northern europe.

Slick build btw.
Well, yeah.. Though i suppose you could be stomped to death by a moose :mrgreen: We have only one poisonous snake, the vipera berus. Not likely to kill you though. :)

And thanks, i think its my nicest build so far :D

Engine

Post by Engine » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:20 am

nici wrote:What do you think about the front of the case? It´s 5,40€ worth of polycarbonate coated with some very nasty and cheap film, sounds prestigeous doesn´t it :lol: I think ill just paint it black from the inside, that wont be transparent but i wont have any damn bubbles and wrinkles in it.. Painting it from the inside will give it a mirror finish. Polycarbonate is not as slippery as glass even when wet, so adding the film is very hard.
Well, if you /want/ it to be transparent, you could try re-applying the film. Have you tried using glass cleaner? You spray the surface with glass cleaner, then apply the film as carefully as possible, then squeegee the bubbles out with a flat plastic blade or windshield wiper [or actual squeegee]. If that doesn't work, you could try dish soap, which will be more slick on the polycarb than even glass cleaner.

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:23 am

I did mention it somewhere in the thread, but i have re-applied the film four times. I did use a plastic thingie that came with the film, used huge amount of water and it took me fifteen minutes to put the film on the piece wich is 34,5x20cm in size. I should try the the glass cleaner or soap though... Thanks for reminding me :D

Now i have to get the piece out of the case, again, its fastened with some seriously sticky doublesided tape.. Oh well, brute force it is :lol:

I forgot to add an interestin gdetail about the case, i wanted a clean look so i dont have a power button anywhere on the outside :mrgreen: I have to open the case and push a button on the mobo. I thought about putting a vandal proof aluminium piezo switch on the front panel, but decided im not going to pay 20€ for a power button, that´s just ridiculous... :roll:

i´ll redo the film once again and post back with some better pics :)

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:41 am

Ok i got the film on again.. Looks better but i still have major problems with taking a good shot of the front.. :( I needs more practice :) Here´s a couple with the new film on.
Image Image

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:54 am

Perkele? I thought this was meant to be your nicest build :lol:

Funny you should mention the vandal proof button, I was looking to get one for a decent price too :) I was thinking of vandalising a bus ticket machine to "extract" a couple of those tasty buttons :twisted: If anyone finds some for <10€ incl. shipping please tell me!

nici

Post by nici » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:09 am

cAPSLOCK wrote:Perkele? I thought this was meant to be your nicest build :lol:
It is... From wikipedia
It(Perkele) is a typical Finnish masculine curse word, used to appeal to Finns as a rural attitude in which trouble is faced and conquered with determination and direct action
:mrgreen:

silon

Post by silon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:09 am

how are your HDD enclosures coming along nici? have you finally settled on one yet?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:36 am

I´ve got the temps recorded for all of them, but i think i need to write something about noise reduction and functionality too.. :P I haven´t decided wich one to use yet, i imagine i will in a few days. Took me more than a"couple of days" to test the enclosures, but im sure i will be finished in a couple of days :wink:

silon

Post by silon » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:07 am

ok. im sure you will keep all of us updated with your work [ASAP] :D

i'm having a mini-dilemma of my own with HDDs. i cant decouple them because my casing has a 'perfect' fit for HDDs and there isnt any free space. on the other hand, i do not trust the enclosures can keep my HDDs cool enough because of my high ambient temps [room temp: 32C++] :(

bah, i think im going to leave them alone 8)

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Very nice.

I would however like to see the system and frog together, a glamour shot of some sort would be preferred.

nici

Post by nici » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:21 am

If i wasn´t feeling so damn lazy i would take that as a provocation and start photoshoppin´ frogs onto my computer :P

tonalt

Post by tonalt » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:02 pm

Nice to see that you have a lot of research on HDD enclosures :D I'm not that passionist with that so Level HDD Shell II is enough for me ;)

I saw there Jägermeister bottle. Does this mean that you like alcohol?

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:40 am

The level isn´t bad, it´s just that others are better :wink: It would be interesting to check out the second version though, it should be slightly better.

And that Jäger bottle has been there for i don´t know, six months probably.. :roll:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:51 am

Jägermeister is one of my favourite drinks but its like "rocking horse shit" in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_idioms

BTW that "frog" is what we call a "Toad" over here in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad

They are quite different from "frogs" up close, or at least the frogs that we get over here, however that "toad" looks identical to the varietty that we see.

Whilst trying to find a pic of a UK frog, I found this, it's pretty sick but still computer related.............. kind of................

http://www.conceptlab.com/frog/

That snake you pointed out, we just know as an "Adder", they are pretty much the same all over northern europe, they are potentially deadly, but rarely ever bite anyone, as they are very timid. I have seen a few in the wild, they are always slithering away. Adders are the only "native" poisonous snake in the UK, and most snakes dont like the weather, so any non-native snakes released in the UK will die sooner rather than later.

Anyway, nice work nici :)

BTW nici, I am about to replace my CPU fan, as it is now the loudest thing in my PC, I am guessing that it runs at 800~ RPM, I can hear a high-ish pitched noise from it, it is of course identical to yours, what do you think.

Andy

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:39 am

First your heatsink, i don´t want to go too far off-topic now do i..? :roll: Try adjusting the speed a little, mine starts having weird noises if i lower the voltage anymore. PWM thing i suppose. If that doesn´t help you could duct it to an exhaust fan, or make a fan fit on the heatsink itself. Or get a new heatsink, i don´t think theres any fix to a fan with strange noises unfortunately.

I quite like Jägermeister too, i would not have bought it if i didn´t, but i don´t drink for the drinking itself so you could say my consumprion is very moderate... I like single malt scotch and good beer though :)

Yeah toad, frog, whatever.. They both have long legs and jump around :P

The worm is potentially deadly yes, but pretty much only to small children, old people, and sick people. I bet tens of poeple get bitten each year here, i can´t remember anyone dying of it.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:03 am

Likewise I dont want to destroy your topic by talking about a HS/Fan, mine is controlled by "Core Center" on my MSI motherboard, you are quite right, if i move the speed above minimum, the high-ish pitched noise dissapears, however that could be because its making more noise overall and is still there but inaudiable. It could also be because my ears can pick up higher pitched noises, or that the rest of the noises cant be heard as easily from longer distances, I only really notice it when im in bed (about 10 ft away), but dont notice it when im at my desk (its under the desk 1&1/4" thick pine, about 2.75cm)

However I have ordered a Ninja :) and a 4000+ :) I will keep you posted on the difference.

Andy

Zorro

Post by Zorro » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:07 pm

nici, very nice job done there. I think that computer would be enough quiet for me ;) I'm bit of a perfectionist about pc noise myself. Will make a topic of my cheap 850MHz supersilent computer soon ;)

nici

Post by nici » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:42 pm

Well the psu is the noisiest part, and that should be about 21dB(A) at that load according to the SPCR review, maybe slightly lower due to the removed grille. so yeah machine is about as quiet as you get with an actively cooled PSU without a fan swap :)

Looking forward to seeing your supersilent machine :)

tonalt

Post by tonalt » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:42 am

which HD enclosure you have found the best? do you recommend mCubed Vertical Silence?

nici

Post by nici » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am

Check the thread in silent storage :) Not donw any more testing since that, hav'nt had the time or energy to test them further like i said i would. And i will test more, just not now...

nici

Post by nici » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Installed the Thermalright HR-05 SLI on the chipset today, It looks like it's custom made for the DFI mobo 8) Im going for a longer videocard and that would require me to cut the zalman even more, not a good idea imo.

Temps are great IMO, it only gets very little airflow byt the nearby CPU fan. Wich reminds me of the only downside of this thing, huge CPU heatsinks might block the heatsink. Not really a problem, but good to know before purchasing a huge CPU heatsink.

Room: 23°c
Base: 38°c
Fins:39°c

Installation was incredibly easy, just a matter of aligning the pins with the holes and pushing. Seems very secure too :)

Im testing the enclosures inside the case now too :)

Never mind the fan in the first two pics, i removed that already.
Image Image Image

silon

Post by silon » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:17 am

very helpful pics nici! [especially for me since we share the same mobo and HSF :lol: ]

ive done dozens of comparisons and tried to get a feel of how the thing would fit but i never expected it to get so close to the F64! :!:

did you see an increase in CPU temps? btw: you can rotate the HR-05 the other way [180degrees] and it will be *just slightly* higher than a card on the 1st PCI slot [/where your juli@ is]. did the NB temps drop significantly :?:

nici

Post by nici » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:09 pm

Temps with zalman + 50mm fan were 52c measured from the heatsink, now they are 41c with slight airflow from the cpu heatsink. So yes temps dropped quite a bit.

If i rotated it 180° the heatpipes would probably not work as effectively and it wouldn't get any airflow. No wait they would, i have a bottom intake :lol:

Have not noticed any increase in cpu temps :)

silon

Post by silon » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:23 pm

nici, i see in your sig you've upgraded to a zalman 9500. perhaps you could post some pics? :D

AudiQ7

Post by AudiQ7 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:24 am

And a 7900GTO too.... :lol: