0dBA Project rev.2

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Post by elec999 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:09 pm

Really nice. You should start selling custom cooling.
Thanks

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:12 am

Hey Endo damned nice work, I think that your next project should be making that sweet setup much cooler, as your handy with metal, that wooden desk shouldnt be a problem for you.

Just out of interest what are the temps like when the PC is sat in the middle of the room instead of the oven that its currently sat in.???

Does having the side off of the case help or hinder.???

And have you considered using an A/C powered very very slow running fan, there is a thread around here somewhere about A/C fans not clicking at all, and as such a 300rpm fan on the ninja would be inaudiable and knock 10+C off of the CPU temp.

Andy

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:14 am

Nice job. I have think something similar. Except buying those heat pipes and manufacturing sinks from some industrial sinks. But I'm quite happy with my water cooled rig. And actually don't have the money for it.

And remember guys that volts don't kill people, amps do.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:54 am

And remember guys that volts don't kill people, amps do.
It's not really as simple as that:

http://www.dribin.org/dave/blog/archives/2003/12/

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/constru ... rrent.html

Whether the current is AC or DC, whether the skin is wet or dry, all sorts of different things determine whether you get a severe/fatal shock; you can have a 1000A source, but if the voltage is not high enough it won't penetrate your skin.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 am

Well... of course like that. It depends on lot of lots different things. Among that which phase your heart is. I get 10 000 volt shocks everyday. But a geat deal of people dies in car electricity...

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 am

I get 10 000 volt shocks everyday.
:!: :?: are you an electrician?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 am

Temps are bit high for me, but you did awesome job though ^^

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 am

No. I do powder painting sometimes. And that thing has 10 000 volts and sometimes it snaps to me.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:51 am

elec999
Really nice. You should start selling custom cooling.
Not in this country.

andyb
Hey Endo damned nice work, I think that your next project should be making that sweet setup much cooler, as your handy with metal
Tnx! My dream is to make a fanless quadcore \ 8800GTX SLI system. The problem is, i doubt that I'll ever make enough money to buy one :).

Just out of interest what are the temps like when the PC is sat in the middle of the room instead of the oven that its currently sat in.???
Not drastically lower (5C maybe), I made quite a lot of holes in my computer table :).

Does having the side off of the case help or hinder.???
No difference.

And have you considered using an A/C powered very very slow running fan
Why should I, if everything works perfectly without one? :)

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Awesome work. I am so glad my regular PC with similar specs is inaudible to me because I couldn't do that. :shock:

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:35 pm

thats pretty sweet...the temps are a little warm, but for how its cooled, i guess theres much worse too eh?

as for the getting shocked stuff, i was shocked by 10,000v just a little vibration i suppose...a power washer didn't ground the first time i tried to shut it off...[btw, i'm 15...and not dead yet]

dream caster

Post by dream caster » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:52 am

Most interesting.

I would love to read an article about your computers; how did you come to designing them, what problems did you have, how you solved them; tell us your story in long words.
I suppose Mike Chin will also love to publish it.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:20 am

dream caster
Sorry, being a lazy son of a bitch I still can't get myself to start writing even the Russian version of the article :).

dream caster

Post by dream caster » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:29 pm

EndoSteel wrote:dream caster
Sorry, being a lazy son of a bitch I still can't get myself to start writing even the Russian version of the article :).

Oh, and now I want some translations from casemods.ru :mrgreen:
(If you you just write the russian version I will be happy, even if I read it using babelfish and google translations side by side).

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Are notebook drives able to survive suffocated in foam like that? What are the load temps of those drives?

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:15 am

dream caster
Casemods.ru guys are already translating their site (the English version is called silentmods.com) and, if everything goes as planned, they'll host translated versions of my articles as well. I'll do my best to write the story of this project ASAP.

cloneman
The highest ever recorded temp was 54С according to Speedfan.

Kato

Post by Kato » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi, i don´t usually post, but i felt that in your case i have to make an exception, i would like to congratulate you on an absolutely magnificent modification. I have to admit you are very brave with your hardware.

A couple questions:

1) How many motherboards and other hardware have you toasted?

2) What was the hottest configuration you have cooled in such a way?

3) In your opinion how much metal would it take to cool an enthusiast class graphics card (something like 8800 GTS) using the outside of the case?

I have made some sketches of a case, do you think it would work or is there not enough surface to dissipate the heat?

EDIT:
Ihave changed the image server, hopfully it shoud work now.

http://shrani.si/files/ohisje1w8i8.jpg
http://shrani.si/files/ohisje2w8i9.jpg
http://shrani.si/files/ohisje3w8ia.jpg
http://shrani.si/files/ohisje4w8ib.jpg

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:41 am

Kato

1. One mobo and one power supply.
2. The present config is the hottest, but in theory I don't see any problems with cooling hotter gear. It will just take more time to build the cooling system, that's it.
3. I think the top cover of the case you've designed will suite the task well, if you make it thick enough. The problem is, you won't be able to attach heatpipes to it (unless the mobo goes there as well), while the side panels don't seem to have enough surface area. Longer fins would probably help but I can't tell for sure. Generally a desktop configuration is not very practical for fanless cooling, a cube or a tower is more preferable.

Kato

Post by Kato » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:30 pm

Well the sketch is a bit old, i am thinking of using a mATX board, the sketch doesn´t show how the thing opens. It will open like a trash can (some sort of hinge at the back) the PSU and two disks in raid will be attached to the top. My main concern is the graphics card.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2158 ... modwl6.jpg

This image should show how i intend to cut the aluminum, in figure A the look of the case should be nicer, in figure B the dispersal of heat should be better but i don´t know if it would close properly since i want to give it a nice black powder coat.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:25 pm

i had a similar idea to make a HTPC out of my old dual CPU system, ended up not working because i had so much trouble cutting it in a straight line...now i have a few panels of plexiglas lying around...maybe i'll have a use for them eventually.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:31 am

Kato
My main concern is the graphics card.
I guess you have no other choice but to copy the casemods.ru solution:

Same thing with the CPU. If the top and side sinks will have good contact, they'll probably be able to dissipate heat from all sources evenly, acting as one big heatsink. This might help with the 8800.