[60+ PHOTOS] A Newbies Journey to a Silent PC [56k WARNING!]

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The.Jackal

[60+ PHOTOS] A Newbies Journey to a Silent PC [56k WARNING!]

Post by The.Jackal » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:14 am

SO! After I was away for a year, I came back to my old Athlon XP PC. So it was time for a new rig. Since I spend a lot of time behind it and cause its in my room, it's nice to have a quiet rig. Anyway, a week or 2 ago I started reading reviews etc etc etc, ended up ordering the PC and yesterday the moment was there. I got all the parts and started building!

Here is my journey to a silent PC! Enjoy.

OLD PC!

He's come a long way... still alive!

Look at the size!!!

Clean as well tho!

NEW PC

Well there is the case, well the box...

Ofcourse not!

We hope so...

The case!

The back

The built in fan controle thingy, nice to have things like this standart

One of the 3cooler fans

The front again

The air-fan-takein-thing

So the side..

The other 2 3cooler fans

DESIGN it is!

The front connectors

And some more connectors

The bays

The stuff that came with the case

The other components!

The stuff to hang the HD in one of the bays

The good stuff

The absorber kit

The vid card

Passive ofcourse!

Whats this...

Sweet, the HD and RAM

Thermal stuff to clean up after Lapping the ninja

The Nexus FANS!

More nexus stuff (had to send this back, because these were deliverd with the fans as well)

Silicon absorbers, anything for SILENCE!

Ah yea, we hate cables!

The little but powerfull guy

The ninja!
Rev B ofcourse, hope they make a C soon with better mounting

LAPPING!

Slick looking PSU!

The mother of all. DS4 REV 1

I love stickers!!!!!!

Stuff included by gigabyte

A family shot!@

His final resting place

The CRAP they give you...

Much better..

Damn, they look SWEET

Nice shot eh?

The big guy

Damn close fit,

MORE STICKERS!!!!!!!!!! YAY

the PSU... well protected

520watt

Since they are nice and got fan control stuff ill be placing them in my old pc.

Hello!

The fan with the absorber

The... I forgot the name..

Installed

TIME FOR A BREAK!

Placed at the HD bay area

The mess so far...

The HD suspension!

OKE, the big moment... the TEST!

WooHoo Successs!!!!

The mess in the case... WILL BE BETTER!

THE FINAL RESULT!

My stickers i love so much

THE RIG!

Cleand and Stylish!

Fuck... bad focus point! :)

Thats better...

Thats IT! Ill prolly start OC soon but Im happy as it is now. Its so damn fast compared to my old AMD! Oh yea first time INTEL! I was a AMD fanboy... ;( but AMD coudnt keep up with INTEL. Anyway hope you enjoyed the pics! :D

This was a quick post, Ill fix typos etc soon!!

Comments are Welcome folks!

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:25 pm

That's a whole lot of pics :!: :shock: -- some pretty good ones, too. ;)

Obviously nice work, looks like a good system. So... how quiet is it?

Joseph42

Post by Joseph42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:45 pm

I enjoyed viewing your "picture story". Hope you are enjoying your new computer. Is it as quiet as you expected?

Fosu

Post by Fosu » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:48 pm

Oh my... That is really nice build. Me likes! :D

Did you use that Bequiet Noise Absorder -kit? If so, where did you put it?

[F]bernZ

Post by [F]bernZ » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

Nice build, but don't you think you went overkill with the P182? Did you even need such a big case? :?: :?: :?:

That tower is screaming - TIP ME OVER. Put it on the ground or something!

Ace of Spades

Post by Ace of Spades » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:11 pm

NICE!! :D I've got a few questions:

Did both types of fan mounts ship with the Nexus fans? *the silicon screws & silicon gasket*

Are those accessories included with the Orange Nexus fan also included with the Black/White versions? and does http://www.svc.com/ or http://www.jab-tech.com/ carry the new retail packages?

I haven't seen any online-retailer with the Gainward 8600GT, where did u purchase it?

I also see u removed the fan in the lower psu chamber, did u tape up the grill around the psu?

This is a little off topic, but the P180's are now shipping with updated P182 features correct? *cause i prefer the black color, and its about 40 bucks cheaper :lol: *

AWESOME cable'ing job, nice build, i'll be lookin back at this thread for my future silent build :P

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:55 am

This was most thorough computer assembly thing I've seen with HQ-pictures. Nice. And Well done with cabeling things ^^ Althoguh suspension might have been unnecessary with P-182B. Very nice ^^

Tikka

Post by Tikka » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:14 am

I don't know if I see correctly, but are those nexus fans not with closed corners? I have 3 of those fans and all of mine are with closed corners...
Or has nexus released a new version of those?

protellect

Post by protellect » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:47 am

Is the hard disk in the upper bay or the lower bay?

Ace of Spades

Post by Ace of Spades » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:01 pm

ye, i noticed that to Tikka, i'm just hopin the sites i listed have the updated versions/packaging :)

vizzle

Post by vizzle » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:03 pm

Like Tikka above, I too am interested in whether the Nexus fans now come with open corners?

Jackal, if you can list which website you got them from, it would be much appreciated!

Tikka

Post by Tikka » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Yeah. I love the nexus fans and intend to use them in my next system as well. I'm not interested in cutting away those closed corners in my old nexus fans, so it would be much easier to soft mount these new open cornered nexuses without no hassle! Those antivibration mounts look very promising as well... Looking forward to see confirmation on this matter! :roll:

raziell

Post by raziell » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:03 pm

nice setup!

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:44 pm

wow, that was like... 55 photos too many.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 am

Did you buy the HX for the modularity? You obviously don't need that much power, just curious.

minkyboodle

Post by minkyboodle » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:33 pm

Great gallery post. A no compromises build presented like this is always a pleasure to see. Also great cable-gami!

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:24 am

very... colorful

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks for the comments guys so far!

MikeC wrote:That's a whole lot of pics :!: :shock: -- some pretty good ones, too. ;)

Obviously nice work, looks like a good system. So... how quiet is it?
As I'm sitting 1m from the case (I can touch it when i sit begind the PC) you can't hear the PC at all. The only time you can hear it is when you realy focus and try to hear someting and then you'll hear the fans only. The biggest noise maker is my damn DVD player. I've orderd a new Samsung DVD writer (with SATA connectors!). This one (NEC) realy sucks ass.

Joseph42 wrote:I enjoyed viewing your "picture story". Hope you are enjoying your new computer. Is it as quiet as you expected?
When I go to sleep and leave downloads on, can bearly hear it.. :)
Fosu wrote:Oh my... That is really nice build. Me likes! :D

Did you use that Bequiet Noise Absorder -kit? If so, where did you put it?
Good observation, no I didn't use them yet. Will do later after I get my new Samsung DVD writer (tomorow!)
[F]bernZ wrote:Nice build, but don't you think you went overkill with the P182? Did you even need such a big case? :?: :?: :?:

That tower is screaming - TIP ME OVER. Put it on the ground or something!
Well, actually when I first saw the case on the web I expect it to be a BIG case, but it's a very small case tho. There is only 'some' room left in the lower chamber at the PSU. But the rest just fits.. Also think you just need a case like this or bigger for a cooler like the Ninja.
Don't get what you mean with "tip me over"? :-p
Ace of Spades wrote:NICE!! :D I've got a few questions:

Did both types of fan mounts ship with the Nexus fans? *the silicon screws & silicon gasket*

Are those accessories included with the Orange Nexus fan also included with the Black/White versions? and does http://www.svc.com/ or http://www.jab-tech.com/ carry the new retail packages?

I haven't seen any online-retailer with the Gainward 8600GT, where did u purchase it?

I also see u removed the fan in the lower psu chamber, did u tape up the grill around the psu?

This is a little off topic, but the P180's are now shipping with updated P182 features correct? *cause i prefer the black color, and its about 40 bucks cheaper :lol: *

AWESOME cable'ing job, nice build, i'll be lookin back at this thread for my future silent build :P
1) The fan mounts that were delivered with the fan are the same I orderd. Didn't know for sure if I would get the new Nexus fans

2) Can't tell, I got the orange ones. The Black and White version was expensiver (+2euro!) Wasn't worth it. And looking back now, orange fits nice in the case.
I'm from the Netherlands and orderd from a local dealer, so can' tell you about those 2 websites. If I were you, I'd just send them a mail and ask them to check the package.

3) I got the 8600 also from a local PC dealer here in NL

4) No I didnt tape the grill around the PSU. Don't see why I shoudl... The PSU doesnt get hot and the PSU lowe chamber is sealed off from the top chamber.

5) I think so, The 182 is a improved version of the 180. There is also a 182SE and 190! (expensive tho)

6) If you want more pics. Ill be glad to provide them :p I got 100+ more!
thejamppa wrote:This was most thorough computer assembly thing I've seen with HQ-pictures. Nice. And Well done with cabeling things ^^ Althoguh suspension might have been unnecessary with P-182B. Very nice ^^
This aint HQ ... The orginal pics are 3888 x 2590 :p I think the cabeling could be better. I'm gonna re-do them 2morow when i get the SATA DVD writer. NO MORE BULKY IDE!!!!!!!!!. I had to be sure to get the best out the case so I want ahead and used the susspension. And also, I dont have any fans in the lower chamber to get the HD cooled.
Tikka wrote:I don't know if I see correctly, but are those nexus fans not with closed corners? I have 3 of those fans and all of mine are with closed corners...
Or has nexus released a new version of those?
Yea, these are the new versions. No closed corners! Nexus released these a few weeks/month ago.
protellect wrote:Is the hard disk in the upper bay or the lower bay?
The HD is in the top chamber below the DVD player. In the 5.25 bay.
vizzle wrote:Like Tikka above, I too am interested in whether the Nexus fans now come with open corners?

Jackal, if you can list which website you got them from, it would be much appreciated!
Sure can do:
http://www.azerty.nl/producten/product_ ... e-fan.html
jaldridge6 wrote:wow, that was like... 55 photos too many.
I did warm you ;-) I love watching pics myself!
ryboto wrote:Did you buy the HX for the modularity? You obviously don't need that much power, just curious.
For different reasons, 1) yes because it was modular (to get a tidy case) 2) it is DAMN silent! 3) 520 maybe overkill but rather be on the save side 4) 5 year warenty!
minkyboodle wrote:Great gallery post. A no compromises build presented like this is always a pleasure to see. Also great cable-gami!
Well this is a budget PC! SO i had to cut costs. Hope the cabeling will get a bit better 2morow with the SATA DVD player.-_-
Badger wrote:very... colorful
Yea... but slick and stylish on the outside :-P

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:07 pm

oh and here are some temps:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 pm

The.Jackal wrote:
For different reasons, 1) yes because it was modular (to get a tidy case) 2) it is DAMN silent! 3) 520 maybe overkill but rather be on the save side 4) 5 year warenty!
I wouldn't go as far as calling it silent... As for overkill, it's nearly 400W more power than your system will draw. A good 300-350W power supply was all you need. But you can't get modularity at that power level, then again, with that case, you have a decent amount of room for excess cables.

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 pm

ryboto wrote:
The.Jackal wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as calling it silent... As for overkill, it's nearly 400W more power than your system will draw. A good 300-350W power supply was all you need. But you can't get modularity at that power level, then again, with that case, you have a decent amount of room for excess cables.
When i put my ear next to it, I can't hear it. But thats perhaps because its not 'working hard' to supply me that much power. Maybe you'll hear the PSU only under stress. But even then, like you said, I wont need 500watt. Also. 350 watt was like 10-20 euro cheaper then this one.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:56 pm

I think you're going to need to add 15C to those temps.

zistu

Post by zistu » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:30 am

To answer some of the questions on the Nexus fans, their corners and included fanmounts:

I've ordered both 120mm orange models and 92mm black and white models made by Nexus. Both models had open corners and both came with 4 (standard) rubber fan mounts included. I made some pictures which I posted in another thread, which you can find here.
Picture above shows both models, their packaging and the included mounts. I placed the order several weeks earlier than the date of this post.

chienpourri

Post by chienpourri » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:42 am

OMG those temps are SOOOO low!!!!! Seems almost impossible even with EIST enabled! Mine go as low as 28C on a very cool day (idle with EIST), E6420 @ 2,67 GHz.

DogFace

Post by DogFace » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 am

That was.... different :) I actually enjoyed scrolling down through all the pics. Enjoy your new rig!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:06 pm

chienpourri wrote:OMG those temps are SOOOO low!!!!! Seems almost impossible even with EIST enabled! Mine go as low as 28C on a very cool day (idle with EIST), E6420 @ 2,67 GHz.
Temperature measurement is very inaccurate as best using with thermal diode's in processors. That is provved several times in these forums. Sometimes temperatures are 20 degree's C too low from real temperatures.

ajd344

Post by ajd344 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Whoooa. Nice! Someday I hope to build a computer that nice, quite similiar to one you made. Of course I need a lot of money, lol. How much did that set you back?

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:01 pm

ajd344 wrote:Whoooa. Nice! Someday I hope to build a computer that nice, quite similiar to one you made. Of course I need a lot of money, lol. How much did that set you back?
Thanks! Like I mentioned before this is a pretty budget computer. It only cost me total of 900 euro's!

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:31 pm

Gorgeous system. Be sure, however, to take advantage of the superb motherboard/CPU you have - overclock! :D

The.Jackal

Post by The.Jackal » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:03 am

First I need to get Windows XP stable running.. (had some bad copy's). But I do wonder how far I can go with just a Ninja and 3 casefans.