Konnetikut's Quad Core P182 [Update III] pg 3 (16 NEW PICS)

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:43 pm

halifaxpeter wrote:I have a question for you and other members reading the forum...

What was your thinking behind the decision to mount the upper chamber front fan on the drive cage, rather than removing the cage and mounting it right at the front case opening?

Was it to ensure air flow directly over the Gigabyte gfx card - as opposed to choosing to ensure intake of cool air from outside by mounting the fan at the front of the case?

Is there 'best practice' on the placement of the upper chamber front fan in the P182 I'm not aware of?
Correct - I was trying to get more airflow to my passive video card - but no, I don't think there's any 'best practice' proven yet. I am, however, open to suggestions - and as oscar3d has pointed out, negative-pressure may a better solution.
Stany wrote:Hi how does the Pioneer DVD drive performs noisewise??
It's pretty loud - but acceptable in my opinion. I have heard that yes, Asus is the quietest. Having never owned the Asus, I cannot compare them. The pioneer has a wooshing sound, rather than the motor whine of my old drives.
Satisfactory.
mexell wrote:Wow, I like your photos (and your system as well).
Especially I like the play with depth-of-field in the HDD shot. What camera and lens were you using?
Believe it or not, these were taken with a point-and-shoot (Sony DSC-W50). I try my best to make these pictures look the best - because while I have the money to build a computer like this, I don't have enough to shell out for a shiny SLR :( 8)

*oscar3d, I'll experiment with that negative-pressure theory.

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:19 am

Konnetikut just do a quick test. Nothing fancy. I'm not telling you to remove the front intake fans at all. Just disconnect them.

Take that cheap rubber from the liquid cooling tubes leaving the holes totally open. I don't know why Antec ruined this on the P182; the P180 did have those precious honeycomb holes on the back.

Also I've been thinking, did you mount your CPU cooler with a backplate?

I've seen many people complaining about new revisions of CPU coolers (ninja Rev B) not cooling enough as their predecessor...

Stany

Post by Stany » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:32 am

thank you for your answer.
Another question , is this system noisewise comparable to an average laptop or better??

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:45 am

If your guys are looking for a quiet dvd burner, check out the samsungs dvd burners. The one I got from newegg is dead quiet, at first I thought I hooked it up wrong because it was so quiet but that's how quiet it is :-)

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Ok guys... please don't slap me
This is Konnetikut's thread and rightfully so given what he's accomplished. Please start your own thread.

This is a model build and merits being stickied IMO.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:00 pm

oscar3d, got some interesting results :P
seems like when i stop the middle fan, cpu temps go down about ~3 degrees while GPU temp goes up 3-5 degrees. So it's a minor difference - but one less fan = less noise :lol:

New Pictures
Got some free time to really get artistic with my photos.

SATA cables routed differently now...

Like this. Curl or no curl? What do you think :?:

A better overall view.

Different lighting...

Ballistix again. :)

MoJo

Post by MoJo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Have you tried removing the PCI slot covers?

djkest

Post by djkest » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:24 pm

That case is so amazing, making me jealous over here. Love the gigabyte mobo, huge thermalright cpu cooler, and the corsair power supply. That case/power supply combo seems to be quite popular! Good cable routing as well, very good component selection overall.

Ballistix looks sweet too, lol.
Last edited by djkest on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrSpok

Post by MrSpok » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:27 am

Well done mate!

Artistic pictures, amazing setup :wink:

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:20 pm

MoJo wrote:Have you tried removing the PCI slot covers?
No, I haven't. would this improve GPU temps?

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:31 pm

You could probably fit the SATA cables in the curled front panel cable for a bit, then tie the rest when they need to part.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:05 pm

zoob wrote:You could probably fit the SATA cables in the curled front panel cable for a bit, then tie the rest when they need to part.
Like this?

:)

I ended up redoing backpanel cabling as well 8)

Had to really play with lighting to get this one - taken with the left side panel closed, through the hole in the back panel where the middle drive cage is.
Stany wrote:Another question , is this system noisewise comparable to an average laptop or better??
From the laptops that I've been around - this does compare quite nicely. If I can only just get those fanmates I'll only have the hard drive to deal with :P

mexell

Post by mexell » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:08 am

Whoah. Another example of very nice shots of a very very nice system. The cable-in-curls are such a good idea...

Please do me and you a favor and go ahead and buy a DSLR.
It will boost your creativity a lot because you've got so much new possibilities... If you decide to get one and don't know which, just ask.

typh00n

Post by typh00n » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:43 am

I'm new to silent computers, (used to have a Tornado), and I have to say very nice pictures.
I just bought a p180, but I think the p180 v2 is the exact same as the p182, it looks identical to yours. So I'm trying to figure out how I'll route everything before installing.
Did you not need the bottom chamber fan because of the PSU fan was enough? I too have the CMPSU-520HX, but I plan to run 3 HD's in the lower cage, so I'm thinking I'll keep that fan.
Also you had 2x Yate Loon, but you removed the middle one, so now you are running 3 fans? Do you need the top fan to be on?

I noticed some small things I wondered about in your build..
Why did you removed the rubber grommets on the back?
Is there a reason you're not using the PSU cage with the Corsair?
And is that power cable by the second 5.25" bay just the extra CPU power?

I wonder why Antec added this small hole next to the sliding doors (can't be covered up), it can be seen here in one of your pics

I really like what you've done, completely avoiding routing through the doors, and plan to model mine after it

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:15 am

This thread is inspiring me to redo my P182.. sigh :)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:27 am

Konnikut: Once again, very nice pictures, extremely well done cabling. Now I curse you since I spent 2 hours in my own P182P when I took it parts and redid most cabling (damn Antec TruepowerII 550W for not being modular) :P

But your pictures have inspired my SPCR's members thinking their cabling. Yours is one of the best I've seen and it makes me want to test my own skills. Very well done.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:21 pm

mexell wrote:Please do me and you a favor and go ahead and buy a DSLR.
I wish I could...I really do. My school has a few DSLRs around that I'm free to borrow (D80, Rebel XT, D40... and a really big lens) until I can actually consider getting one :wink:
typh00n wrote:I plan to run 3 HD's in the lower cage, so I'm thinking I'll keep that fan.
Yes, you should.
typh00n wrote:Also you had 2x Yate Loon, but you removed the middle one, so now you are running 3 fans? Do you need the top fan to be on?
I'm running the rear tricool, the S-FLEX SFF21E on the Ultra-120, and the HX-520 fan. I will switch in the YLs when I get some fanmates (possibly one in the lower chamber on very low power). I'm not sure about the top - certainly not a place for a D12SL-12 because of the sleeve bearing problem with that orientation.
typh00n wrote:Why did you removed the rubber grommets on the back?
Is there a reason you're not using the PSU cage with the Corsair?
And is that power cable by the second 5.25" bay just the extra CPU power?
1) I was trying out a suggestion of oscar3d. There was no noticeable difference in temps - they're back in now (and looks better :lol: )

2) Not really. I had difficulty installing it, and no one else seems to have noticed :P

3) The one shown behind the backpanel? That's the EPS 12V - which I'm not using.

*I wonder about that little hole as well. Some tape = all fixed up 8)

Some more pics.

These replaced the original full view picture on the original post.

I realized I didn't have one of the Gigabyte 8600GT, so here we go.

I do hope that I've inspired people to recable. I love seeing clean systems. :)

P.S. I'm also considering a Noctua 800 for the top exhaust or bottom chamber. It's on sale for $13.99CAD. What do you think?

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:26 am

I knew it Konnetikut!!!

Thanks for testing that stuff... it means a lot now hat I'm ready to build my P182 rig. And also thanks for that awesome pictures, I'm printing them as we speak. :-)

I'm going to start my own thread very soon, I've just took pictures of my "negative pressure" p150 as an old mate, and I'll post pictures as I build my new P182.

I'm so glad that itworked for you. So now you know guys turn that middle fan off, and put acustipack on top instead :-)

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:41 am

Konnetikut wrote:P.S. I'm also considering a Noctua 800 for the top exhaust or bottom chamber. It's on sale for $13.99CAD. What do you think?
The bottom chamber is the perfect place for one of those, but I think most people still reccommend undervolting one of the 1200RPM versions.

djkest

Post by djkest » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:02 am

You should take everything out and paint the inside of your case black, or some other crazy color. Paint stuff! It'll be fun.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:06 am

Maybe later. I'm not into case modding quite yet :wink:
Right now, I'm dealing with an issue of minor coil buzz on the PSU... posted in the corsair support forums and inquired about the possibility RMA with my retailer already...

see how it goes.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:19 pm

About those fanmates, cant your mobo control the fans hooked up to the 3pin headers?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm

About those fanmates, cant your mobo control the fans hooked up to the 3pin headers?
Is it actually possible? Maybe I haven't looked hard enough in the BIOS. In any case, I'd like a fanmate where I could just tweak it whenever I wanted.

Looks like I'll RMA my PSU soon, hopefully the next one is buzz-free.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 pm

Try downloading speedfan and see what you can adjust :)

How many fan headers does your mobo have?

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Wibla wrote:Try downloading speedfan and see what you can adjust :)

It didn't change anything, last time I tried.
The fan headers are:
CPU_FAN (4pin)
SYS_FAN1 (3pin)
SYS_FAN2 (4pin)
PWR_FAN (3pin)

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 pm

Konnetikut wrote:
Wibla wrote:Try downloading speedfan and see what you can adjust :)

It didn't change anything, last time I tried.
The fan headers are:
CPU_FAN (4pin)
SYS_FAN1 (3pin)
SYS_FAN2 (4pin)
PWR_FAN (3pin)
On the DS3R motherboard, only the CPU fan header can be controlled from software. It's odd that the SYS2 header is 4-pin, given that the BIOS doesn't provide a way to change its speed.

matva

Post by matva » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:00 pm

lets see the big picture!

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Sad, after I got the P5W DHD I'll never buy a card without software control of the fans again, so convenient.

Konnetikut

Post by Konnetikut » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Looks like I'm also RMAing the DS3R - it's hissing under load (VRMs most likely)
So, a full system rebuild. How fun! :lol:
That's happening this weekend.
I also ordered a noctua 1200, some nexus fanmounts, and 2 fanmates to coincide with the weekend build.
lets see the big picture!
:?: You want a big picture?

Question: Since I'll be reapplying AS5, what's the best method to do so? Is it the 'official' method of a thin line across the cores, or should I spread it evenly in a thin layer?

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Konnetikut wrote:...should I spread it evenly in a thin layer?
I've found this is the best method. A friend showed me how by wrapping my finger with syran-wrap and using it to spread the AS5....it has worked VERY WELL for me. (I apply a very thin layer on the CPU & on the heatsink).