Quiet Cosmos S

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aimfox

Quiet Cosmos S

Post by aimfox » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:40 am

Built my Cosmos S with 10-14 dBa Fans... Tried lowering all the blue LED & Red LED fans with a Fanmate2.. It's pretty quiet and runs a steady performance... Altho, its not that silent but yes, its quiet ^^

Jipa

Post by Jipa » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:54 am

That tiny motherboard seems so out of place in such a huge case...

btw you have typo'd the powersupply on your sig. ;)

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:24 am

Jipa wrote:That tiny motherboard seems so out of place in such a huge case...

btw you have typo'd the powersupply on your sig. ;)
Yeah, it's a Micro ATX mobo... I didn't want an expensive one so I went with Asus P5K-VM mobo.. I think I will soon be upgrading it to a 45nm mobo capability.. Yea thanks for pointing that typo for me, didnt see it.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:55 am

CPU Support P5K-VM ... it supports 45nm just fine, as long as you upgrade the bios

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:48 am

Wibla wrote:CPU Support P5K-VM ... it supports 45nm just fine, as long as you upgrade the bios
ohh really? someone told me something about it so i wasn't too sure what he meant.. i was thinking changing the whole mobo so that way between the mobo and the drive bay, i can eliminate all those cables going across the gap.. i was thinking the atx mobo should help me replace this

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 am

All the things people do for vanity.. I dont see a reason for you to do that as long as the current mobo fills your needs.. I have a P5K-VM myself, and im considering putting in an E8500 in it, and use it as a dedicated f@h box

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Can you comment on the Cosmos-S cable routing? The old Cosmos 1000 had serious problems getting the back panel closed if you used one of the routing holes, as there was no clearance in the back for cables. Does yours fit cleanly (i.e. have they moved the mobo tray in half an inch or so)?

I was all set to get a Cosmos 1000 until I found out about this problem.

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:42 pm

Airshark wrote:Can you comment on the Cosmos-S cable routing? The old Cosmos 1000 had serious problems getting the back panel closed if you used one of the routing holes, as there was no clearance in the back for cables. Does yours fit cleanly (i.e. have they moved the mobo tray in half an inch or so)?

I was all set to get a Cosmos 1000 until I found out about this problem.
It was easy to loop the cables through the holes and there was a small clearance like a level that goes down which the cables can be easily push downward for the side panel to close. If your planning to buy this, I can tip you a hint with the PSU wires where you should try not to put all of them in the bottom hole. Just spread them like the big one go up and the smaller one goes down so that way the case can close easily. I believe the Cosmos S is way better than the Cosmos since there are a lot of changes on the 2nd one. I don't know if the mobo is being shifted since I don't actually own the Cosmos 1000 and I don't remember how the first one mobo is located. All I know is that the first Cosmos has a problem with cable management. The new one has a bigger interface and more space for quad sli. Also, the Cosmos S comes with cable holder ties w/sticky tapes which you can place where to stick your cables on the mobo side case.

Airshark

Post by Airshark » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Thanks. I'm just starting a new build, and I had decided on an Antec P182B (this would have been my fourth), but perhaps I'll reconsider and try a Cosmos-S. I'm kinda tired of the P182.

aimfox

Post by aimfox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:04 pm

Airshark wrote:Thanks. I'm just starting a new build, and I had decided on an Antec P182B (this would have been my fourth), but perhaps I'll reconsider and try a Cosmos-S. I'm kinda tired of the P182.
Go with Cosmos S if you have the money to. You never know if you didn't try. 8)