Small and silent - Inteld201gly2 + silverstone pt03B

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tramall

Small and silent - Inteld201gly2 + silverstone pt03B

Post by tramall » Thu May 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Hello everybody

Recently, I got my hands on mini-itx enclousure Silverstone Petit PT03B and decided to build quiet system.

The components are :

Case : Silverstone Petit PT03B (black) - got this from www.hrt.de (looks like only place You can get this case , anyone knows other suppliers in Europe???), its pricey (100 euro - about 160$ with delivery to Poland) it comes with AC brick and 60W DC PSU.Tried to use that but no luck (60W is to not enough for intel ???). I replaced it with PICOPSU 90 W with p4 connector (perfect for intel) mobo. I am not quite happy with case quality . I expected bit more from Silverstone .

PSU : PicoPSU 90W + 12V 5A brick .
RAM : 1GB elixir ddr2 800
HDD : Samsung SATA 120GB 5400rpm drive
FAN - I used Qoltec ChillFan 6010 60mm fan because it is only 12mm thin and fits cpu cooler perfectly. I replaced both heatsinks(stock heatsinks are joke) with ones found in junk box . Do not even know where they come from.
DVD : No DVD !!!- these are history.. :)

Also added Zalman's fan speed controller , it comes out of the box and allows me to control the revs without opening the case.

Did not have chance to install any OS yet (prime95 is waiting :)), but so far I got these figures:

Cpu temp :57C-58C
System temp 51C
CPU FAN speed 1600RPM ( controller set to lowest RPM , probably about 5V). And it is very, very quiet :)

When fan controller is set to max revs (3300RPM, 11V) figures are :
Cpu temp :47C
System temp 41C
But system is quite noisy then

Probably gonna go for something between (2000rpm)

This is BIOS reading, so I consider it as a IDLE temps. I expect about 75C CPU temp and 60C system when at load. CPU runs at stock voltage (do not trust those pencil tricks )

ALso I have got question for PICOPSU users: - what is maximum temp for this PSU . there is minimal air flow inside the case and I am bit worried about PSU . MOBO and CPU will be fine (the CPU is rated till 100C , once I got 93C with out any fans )

Future plans : Probably gonna add second fan (same type) to improve overall airflow. Case itself is quite warm .

Some photos:

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 am

57c Idle isnt a good temp. Depends on how loud you want your fan, you can probably get a quieter fan that gives the same temps, but its pretty much impossible to get a really quiet 60mm fan that moves any air.
Nice small setup though, what do you plan on using it for? HTPC, or just a low power system for general usage?

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 am

I like the size of that case. What does it look like from the front and back?

Ripoff price though, and you're right it doesn't look like very good quality.

lptrp

Post by lptrp » Sun May 04, 2008 2:41 pm

Neat!

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri May 09, 2008 12:05 am

Looks really nice. What kinda heatsinks are those? Also how's the board perform? I've got an old Emachines as a DHCP/DNS server + Firewall and looking to replace it with something more energy and acoustic friendly. For $70 US, you cant really go wrong, can you?

tramall

Post by tramall » Fri May 09, 2008 6:03 am

Small Update.

Just installed Win XP Home edition , orthos and speedfan 4.34 for measuring.

Results are (after 40 min of orthos at full swing) :

System : 45C
CPU : 51C
Hdd: 45C
Core0 : 63C
Fan running at 2700RPM.

EDIT: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After 2h 30mins at 100% CPU usage :

System: 52C
CPU : 66C
HDD: 49C
Core0: 66C
Fan running at 1960RPM and its very quiet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy with that figures, because system will rarely pass 50% of CPU usage so these tems are fine for me

Answers :
that Linux guy : Heatsinks are unknown (found them lying around , probably from older machines) , board itself performs very well , only thing i dont like is the graphic chipset

FartingBob: Haven't decided what to use it for. Probably for WWW browsing . If it comes to fans : As You said , finding 60mm fans is very difficult or even impssible , but case is so small , nothing bigger fits (probably gonna try 70mm)

And some more photos:

Last edited by tramall on Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

that Linux guy

Post by that Linux guy » Fri May 09, 2008 7:26 am

very nice case. Really diggin the new pics. Really show off that case. I didn't realize how small your rig was. I knew Mini-ITX was small, but damn. Just an an inch wider and deeper than a standard optical drive.

What didn't you like about the graphics chipset? When I use it, it wont have to do any display duties for more than 30 min. Just enough to install Linux and configure SSH.

The Gangrel

Post by The Gangrel » Sat May 10, 2008 8:43 am

FWIW, BIOS temperature readings should not be taken as idle.

OS power reduction methods aren't in use inside BIOS, so temps should be taken as load.