My New Box

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

woodsman

My New Box

Post by woodsman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi All,

After receiving much advice here last summer and fall, finally this spring I got around to obtaining my new box. My schedule precluded me from reporting how my project developed. I finally posted a lengthy discussion at my web site:

My New Silent PC

Sorry, no pictures --- I don't (yet) have a digital camera. :(

For those of who are more experienced hackers, select the link at the beginning of the essay to skip the evaluation discussion and read the final results.

Although I have not been around the forum for many months I want to thank everybody who offered advice and experiences. As I concluded in my essay, I'm quite happy with my new box.

Caveat :): This is a Slackware box, no Windows involved anywhere in the discussion. Those who are interested might want to follow some of the links to learn how to use existing GNU/Linux tools to control hardware parameters for more energy efficient computing. Hopefully the information helps somebody here.

I'll be happy to clarify anything or add additional information.

Thanks again everybody!

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:40 pm

arg. this is the general gallery- i demand pics! :evil:

AMDforlife

Post by AMDforlife » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:22 pm

I enjoyed reading most of your computer history and upgrade "story." Don't take this the wrong way please, but you seem to be from the "old school," I don't think that's bad at all. Very conservative with your systems, "stability and efficiency first" kind of thinking. You know what works and what doesn't; its a very interesting perspective, rarely seen nowadays.

Your new build is an upgrade to say the least. :)

It would be a good idea to post some pics if you are going to post in the "gallery." Can u borrow a friends digicam for a night? That's what I used to do at least.

If u are indeed a true "woodsman" that may prove more difficult.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm

pics or it didn't happen :)

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:42 am

I might be able to borrow a digital camera. I'll update the thread if/when that happens and I update the story.

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:42 pm

pics or it didn't happen
I uploaded some pics. Happened?

protellect

Post by protellect » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am

Looks good. Nice write-up, I'm running a very similar setup hardware-wise 24/7, I think the BE series of dual core AMD chips are really nice and cool/efficient.

http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/images ... aaks-2.jpg

That picture, the SATA connector looks a little loose. Maybe it fixed itself when you stuck it in, but just pointing it out.